Color Treated Hair & Relaxers...

ynichole223

Hey everyone.

I'm new to the board; I just recently gave in and paid my $6.50 so that I could join in on the conversation and learn more tips on how to properly take care of my hair. :grin:

I came across this board after reading Cathy Howse's sight and buying some of her products (I absolutely love the lotion creme, especially during this time of year) the beginning of December. I have 4a/b hair, and haven't been relaxed since August 3, 2009. I'm not trying to go natural, but I have a LOT of new growth.

September 9, I got my hair highlighted and I'm seeing now that I shouldn't have because my hair has become dry, dull, and has even started breaking off in the back right where the color and new growth separate.

Because I noticed this breakage, I had the woman who styles my hair when I'm back home from school trim off my split ends. This took the back of my hair down to about 3 inches from my scalp. This was a week ago; my hair was already in a short bob-styled cut.

Today, she gave me a protein treatment (Aphogee), and I'll admit, my hair does feel a little bit stronger, but feels even more brittle than before. My hairdresser told me that since the color that was put in my hair was permanent (she didn't do it, another hair dresser did when I was away at school), it wouldn't be good to get a relaxer because she said that my "hair would melt off" as a result of over-processing. Let me remind you that I have about 2.5 inches of new growth, so my roots are shaming me right now. She said since the relaxer would melt it off, she would press my hair until it was long enough to cut off the damaged ends.

Now, from reading Cathy's book, her advice was that it wasn't good to press relaxed hair, as it would contribute to more breakage.

My question for you all is; is there ANYONE who has had this problem and fixed it without cutting the permanent color off and still received a relaxer, as well as growth?

I'm currently taking the Cathy Howse 365 day challenge and I think this is a major setback. :ohwell:

I'm in desparate need of answers, and I figured this was the best place to get advice from. Sorry this is so long!!

Thank you!

going lighter on any type of hair is always a risk and can sometimes produce damaged strands because of the stripping of the original color to such a lightened color like blonde etc.

and you don't press relaxed hair it's a big no no!

she should've just blew your roots with the round brush and blowdryer.

let the hair grow out more so that when you do relax the colored strands won't end up with the relaxer on them. I would wait until only your natural hair color with newgrowth is exposed, you don't want to risk relaxing the highlighted hair causing it to fall out or become even more brittle.

in between your salon visits, do heavy deep conditioning treatments, and if you do protein treatments follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner. dry your hair under a hooded dryer if you have one and then blowdry on cool for straight hair, and just flat iron the roots if you want to hide the newgrowth and still want a sleek look.

I wouldn't recommend airdrying, my opinion airdrying and relaxed hair don't go together too well, you want your hair as strong and healthy as possible, relaxed hair needs some type of heat.

hth

your welcome, as long as it's not breaking off then your good, and you have your reggie so you'll be fine. highlights and lighter dye jobs need lots of attention and conditioning.
you have good growth too so you'll be able to relax soon :).

I am highlighted and relaxed. My stylist insisted I do a moisturizing deep conditioner at least once a week once I got the color, or she told my hair would dry up and break off! Its happened to me before in the past. Now I was doing the deep con anyway as part of my regimen, but I won't ever skip it as long as I decide to wear color. Now that you have it...make sure you do some light protein treatment at least every other week( I do it weekly..Aphogee 2 Minute), and follow that up with a moisturizing deep conditioner(I use Keracare Humecto, but there are many others as well). I try to keep heat to a minimum. With your hair being in a short bob, you can definitely air dry with it molded down with some type of foam wrap and leave in conditioner, if you are planning to flat iron your hair. That way you are only using 1 form of direct heat on your hair. Try to only use the flat iron after the wash...pincurl your hair at night, or wrap it if that works for you(it doesn't for me). Make sure you are keeping your hair moisturized during the week as well so that those ends stay protected and you can retain length.

As far as the relaxer melting your hair...that is not going to happen. But you will lose more hair if you don't follow the steps above to keep your hair thoroughly moisturized.

I am highlighted and relaxed. My stylist insisted I do a moisturizing deep conditioner at least once a week once I got the color, or she told my hair would dry up and break off! Its happened to me before in the past. Now I was doing the deep con anyway as part of my regimen, but I won't ever skip it as long as I decide to wear color. Now that you have it...make sure you do some light protein treatment at least every other week( I do it weekly..Aphogee 2 Minute), and follow that up with a moisturizing deep conditioner(I use Keracare Humecto, but there are many others as well). I try to keep heat to a minimum. With your hair being in a short bob, you can definitely air dry with it molded down with some type of foam wrap and leave in conditioner, if you are planning to flat iron your hair. That way you are only using 1 form of direct heat on your hair. Try to only use the flat iron after the wash...pincurl your hair at night, or wrap it if that works for you(it doesn't for me). Make sure you are keeping your hair moisturized during the week as well so that those ends stay protected and you can retain length.

As far as the relaxer melting your hair...that is not going to happen. But you will lose more hair if you don't follow the steps above to keep your hair thoroughly moisturized.

Thank you for the tips, I will be trying my best to retain my length. I refuse to let her cut off my hair even further. You said that your hair was permanently colored...the type of color that was used, was it in a powder form before your stylist applied it to your hair? My stylist said that it contained a lot of peroxide in it, thus it would cause the relaxer to melt off the rest of my hair. I'm so nervous about this whole relaxer thing lol Of course, I will strengthen my hair for about another month or so before I get one.

No it was more of a thick liquid, creamy, and she added the toner or whatever it is that makes it lighten. Anything that lightens hair has to have a "bleach" component to it. People get highlights all of the time. I would suggest finding another professional who is more experienced with chemicals to help you with your relaxer.

Back