Color Issue.. Suggestions Please!!

kim

Ok so here is my issue: I had a love/hate relationship with henna, finally got my issues fixed( I was using too much ACV and not using enough conditioner after the fact). Anyway, I wanted my hair red and plan to leave it red for some years to come. My problem is that my hair is naturally black, so to get the color I want from henna I have to lighten my hair first. So I am wondering if I should just stop doing this and just start getting my hair colored at the salon? I know both are damaging. I tought the henna route was less damaging but I'm not sure, since I still have to keep lifting my natural hair color. Also, now I am having problems with using any kind of gel, leave-in, etc in my hair. It just falls limp and I lose any curl pattern when I apply any of these products. I can have curls and once I apply any product to my hair it just goes straight. I'm wondering if the henna is making my hair to heavy. What should I do?

#1. Henna will loosen your curl pattern
#2. Henna does not damage your hair
#3. If you desire red hair, you definitely will need to lift your hair color if it is naturally dark, otherwise henna will only be visible in sunlight
#4. If you decide to bleach/lift your natural hair color, make sure you ALERT your stylist that you have recently used henna

Good Luck

I actually just found the answers to my own questions over on LHC. Apparently, I probably have henna build up and that's why I'm having the issues with products. Which is what I was hoping that I didn't have. So I probably will just let my henna grow out and then start having it colored professionally. I love henna but I seem to have too many issues with it.

Maybe it's the bleaching? After I dye my hair, it tends to be looser than normal and some areas have little or no curl pattern. After I do a protein treatment, my coils usually go back to normal.
After you've hennaed enough times, the henna coats your hair permanently and your hair won't be able to take on any new colour, so I'd say you're better off doing a chemical dye only and skipping the henna all together. I hennaed for about a year and now the hennaed parts of my hair won't take any colour at all :ohwell:

Eta, I had this post open in another window for over an hour and didn't realise you'd found the answer to your question :lol:

Last edited:
Maybe it's the bleaching? After I dye my hair, it tends to be looser than normal and some areas have little or no curl pattern. After I do a protein treatment, my coils usually go back to normal.
After you've hennaed enough times, the henna coats your hair permanently and your hair won't be able to take on any new colour, so I'd say you're better off doing a chemical dye only and skipping the henna all together. I hennaed for about a year and now the hennaed parts of my hair won't take any colour at all :ohwell:

Eta, I had this post open in another window for over an hour and didn't realise you'd found the answer to your question :lol:

Thanks! You're right, I think it is a combination of all of the above. I will be giving up henna again, this time for good. I'm not putting all the blame on henna since I did have to lift my natural hair color. I just don't like dealing with the coating that henna does. After reading on LHC that people were dealing with the same issues as me(hair not absorbing moisture, lose of curl pattern and products that normally work for you, no longer work). Henna isn't for me. Thanks ladies for your help!!!

Back