**COFFEE RINSERS AND SHEDDING***

Brewed Coffee is best.

Luckily - I :love: coffee - so... I have plenty of it.
You can buy folgers, (it is like 3 bucks) and a personal coffee maker ( they are about 15 bucks).......................:yep:

I don't drink folgers, but You can make it VERY strong...

Hmm so this actually DOES work?! I am usually ok with shedding but since I have been doing my full vedic regimen I have been shedding like a mo fo and it is bothering me.

I might try adding coffee to my herbal hair tea then.

Ladies Coffee rinses are nothing new. It does prevent shedding. My crazy aunt from canada used to do them all the time. She had beautiful long thick natural hair. My mom forbade me from letting folks(family or not) do my hair as kid. I remember mom saying her concoction stunk. But now I remember what she used. It was all good. Here it is. Coffee brewed ground left in she added ACV and JBCO let it sit and rinse it off condition as usual. Basically she was doing a lot of things in one shot.

I have been shedding less due to my rinses. Im going to hook myself up with some of Aunt Jocelyn concoction this weekend.

ooh a good way to use up the JBCO:yep::yep:

Here is a post that I found online about it:

Tea/Coffee Hair Rinses?

Dear Karen,

My auntie had waist length thick black hair that was gorgeous. After she died I asked my mom how Auntie Ruth had such shiny black hair, even into her later years. My mom said she thought that Auntie used either coffee or tea as a final rinse. Unfortunately my mom did not know the exact details and so I am at a loss to try and figure this out.

Have you ever heard of such a thing before? If so, do I use instant coffee, brewed coffee or what is the deal? A friend thought that I might be able to avoid the muss and the fuss and just buy the drip of the day from Starbucks and pour that over my head.

Date: 5/15/2006 1:59:59 PM ( 31 mon ) ... viewed 15161 times

Hmmmm....Starbucks brew of the day as a rinse? I never thought of that before but you know, it could potentially work. The important point to note is to make sure you don't pour it on your head while it is still hot. Lukewarm to cool would be the proper temperature to avoid burns or scalding to your sensitive scalp.

Since you asked several questions, I will try to answer them in sequence.

Yes, people have been pouring fresh brewed tea and coffee on their hair for centuries. Basically as long as there has been tea and coffee in the world, it has been used for various beauty treatments, including hair shampoos and rinses.

Coffee and dark teas are thought to cover gray hairs in brunettes while chamomile and the yellow herbal teas are thought to brighten blonde hair, although it will not necessarily add color or lighten the hair in any way.

A friend of mine uses several herbal teas that have a red base to deepen the shine of her red hair.

Never use instant coffee or tea. Never use either when it is hotter then lukewarm.

Although there is no absolute recipe, you can start by making a pot of coffee with a drip or Mr. Coffee type of machine. A French press will work too and a Starbucks drip without additives is an option.

While you are waiting for the coffee to cool, shampoo your hair. Rinse well. If you use a rinse out conditioning treatment, complete that step. Rinse well. Carefully pour the coffee over your hair working from the roots to the ends. You may want to use a large pan or bowl so that you can rinse your hair several times by swishing your hair through the coffee or catching the liquid as it runs off your hair back into the pan and then continuing to pour it until you are finished.

When you are finished rinsing with the coffee you should do a final cool water rinse until the water runs clear. It is not advisable to leave the coffee in your hair because it can cause it to be sticky or gooey.

There are several things to keep in mind if you decide to rinse your hair with coffee:

1. Be prepared to let the coffee have enough time to cool or pop an ice cube in the coffee to quickly cool it down.

2. Have a large pitcher or bowl to allow for repeated rinses.

3. This is a very messy process. Don't attempt this anywhere but in a shower to avoid possible coffee stains to sinks.

4. Remember that you hair could possibly stain your towels. Use an old towel that you don't mind staining in case this happens.

5. Rinse the hair well enough to prevent the coffee from dripping and staining during the final cool rinse.

6. The results will be cumulative over a period of months.

7. If you want deeper results you will need to use a temporary coloring agent. Or you can experiment with making a coffee pack mixing 2 parts coffee to one part yogurt and applying to the hair topped off with a shower cap. Leave on your hair for several hours and then shampoo and finish with a coffee rinse.

8. If you prefer use black tea or herbal teas instead of coffee. Light haired people should avoid dark teas and coffees that might stain their hair.

The amount of coffee or tea that you use should be in proportion to the amount of hair that you have. If you have long or thick hair, allow extra liquid for rinsing. Start with two or three of the eight ounce cups and adjust the amount you use depending on the results. The same would be true for the amount of tea that you use.

One thing is certain. Using coffee or tea can be an interesting and fairly cheap alternative to adding color to dark hair.

Best wishes,

Karen
http://www.hairboutique.com/askkaren/askkaren-10-2001.htm

http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=974748

Here is a post that I found online about it:

Tea/Coffee Hair Rinses?

Dear Karen,

My auntie had waist length thick black hair that was gorgeous. After she died I asked my mom how Auntie Ruth had such shiny black hair, even into her later years. My mom said she thought that Auntie used either coffee or tea as a final rinse. Unfortunately my mom did not know the exact details and so I am at a loss to try and figure this out.

Have you ever heard of such a thing before? If so, do I use instant coffee, brewed coffee or what is the deal? A friend thought that I might be able to avoid the muss and the fuss and just buy the drip of the day from Starbucks and pour that over my head.

Date: 5/15/2006 1:59:59 PM ( 31 mon ) ... viewed 15161 times

Hmmmm....Starbucks brew of the day as a rinse? I never thought of that before but you know, it could potentially work. The important point to note is to make sure you don't pour it on your head while it is still hot. Lukewarm to cool would be the proper temperature to avoid burns or scalding to your sensitive scalp.

I had to chuckle at that. ( Reminds me of those "Warning: Hot. can burn" disclaimers on coffee cups :rolleyes:) Informative post, thanks :grin:

I tried a coffee rinse last wash, and I have to report it DRAMATICALLY cut down on the shed hair I experienced during my detangle/styling session right afterwards. I was amazed. Good stuff!

what exactly is a coffee rinse?! what is the procedure?

brew up some coffee and wait til it cools to pour it in ur hair?!... lol
im not clear on how this works.. and are all coffees healthy?.. is there a certain kind that you ladies use?!

and what exactly is the reason for doing this rather than using an actual rinse from a BSS?? healthier? lasts longer? etc....

tia

tanya :yawn::drunk::spinning:

what exactly is a coffee rinse?! what is the procedure?

brew up some coffee and wait til it cools to pour it in ur hair?!... lol Exactly. You got it.
im not clear on how this works.. and are all coffees healthy?.. is there a certain kind that you ladies use?!

and what exactly is the reason for doing this rather than using an actual rinse from a BSS?? healthier? lasts longer? etc....

tia

tanya :yawn::drunk::spinning:

Coffee stops shedding. Just plain brewed coffee, poured on hair, esp. scalp, leave it in for a few minutes, or don't rinse it out, it's up to you.

Coffee also tints the hair and increases the growth phase of hair., resulting in longer strands...check out LilBrownieD's thread on Coffee for Hair Growth, for more info....hth, ~Br*nze~

Oh, so its OK NOT to rise it out?

I just pour it on my head and step out the tub : )

I'm also in braids

hmmm I know this an old thread...BUT...
Has anyone tried this who also uses henna/indigo!?!?
Does it cover the gray well enough to stop using the henna/indigo!?!?

Hey Love, I indigo and henna, and on new hairs, coffee tints them brown, not black. so my few grey hairs look a little, well, 'bronzed.'

I've never used tea.

You can use coffee as a leave-in. I still do this with every wash, which is usually weekly. This is a lifetime staple for me. It is just that good.

My shedding has been cut dramatically. Most importantly, i can detangle my hair in 5 minutes flat.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll every thread I've read about coffee rinses you're there singing its praises. I finally did it as a leave in - OMG you weren't lying! Post partum shedding is no joke - and after doing the coffee rinse, I'm here tugging and tugging (although I shouldn't be) and NO hair - none, nadda is coming out! And the new growth which has been extra tough lately feels soft and well detangled:) I'm very happy!

[USER=46561 said:
Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll[/USER] ;11059052]Hey Love, I indigo and henna, and on new hairs, coffee tints them brown, not black. so my few grey hairs look a little, well, 'bronzed.'

I've never used tea.

You can use coffee as a leave-in. I still do this with every wash, which is usually weekly. This is a lifetime staple for me. It is just that good.

My shedding has been cut dramatically. Most importantly, i can detangle my hair in 5 minutes flat.

hi bronze, what brand coffee have you been using? (mostly)

also... did you ever try the black tea as well as a rinse , and prefer the tea? or never a tea user initially?

Hey, @TNHP, I use Community Coffee and Folgers...whichever I have on hand. I'm not choosey, but I try to stick to a really dark, strong roast - kinda like espresso.

I haven't used black tea as a rinse, but I have used Nettle, Horsetail and Coffee together and Nettle and Horsetail together.

HTH!

Nix08, I'm so glad it worked for you. It's really a miracle - how it works. One of the best tips i've ever learned on LHCF, hands down.

^ I've used it as a leave-in. But I'm sure it would work fine for maybe 15 minutes, to really let it get to your roots...

Back