Coconut Questions

La Colocha

Does coconut oil and coconut milk have the same properties? I cannot use coconut oil it makes my hair dry and brittle. I have done research on the net and the major concensus is that coconut milk is moisturizing. I know aubrey organics uses a coconut fatty cream which my hair loves and i have no problems with. I use coconut milk to cook with and i would like to try it on my hair but i am afraid because of what coconut oil does to it. If anyone knows if coconut milk and oil have the same properties i would appreciate any input. And i would like for those also to chime in who can't use coconut oil but can use the milk. Sorry so long. Tia

I'm so glad that you posted this b/c I'd love to know the answer as well.

Coconut oil by itself makes my hair crunchy too. I would love to try coconut milk in my hair too b/c I've heard that using coconut milk & honey as a moisturizing treatment is wonderful.

I read on the board that the coconut fatty acid base in AO GPB is cetyl and cetearyl alcohol. My hair loves AO GPB too.

I'm so glad that you posted this b/c I'd love to know the answer as well.

Coconut oil by itself makes my hair crunchy too. I would love to try coconut milk in my hair too b/c I've heard that using coconut milk & honey as a moisturizing treatment is wonderful.

I read on the board that the coconut fatty acid base in AO GPB is cetyl and cetearyl alcohol. My hair loves AO GPB too.

Yes d i have used the gpb and hsr and they are very moisturizing, and its funny i stopped using the gpb because it makes my hair extra mushy but its a protein. Hsr is just right. The coconut milk and honey is what i have exactly in mind.

I was just going to say what DarlingDiva said which is the "coconut fatty acid" in AO products is just cetyl/cetearyl alcohol.

Anyway, I love coconut milk. When I buy a can it usually sits in my cabinet for a while so the cream part separates to the top and the water is on the bottom. I just scoop the cream out and use it as conditioner. It's mostly fat so it makes my hair slippery and oily, which I like. But if you don't like the oily feel it probably makes sense to mix it with honey, which I'm going to have to try. I usually use it as a cowash conditioner and leave it on while I'm in the shower. I find it to be moisturizing and it makes my hair easier to detangle.

I love all things from coconuts. As Naturalgurl says, coconuts have thick, coarse hair on the outside so you know they must be good for haircare.

I was just going to say what DarlingDiva said which is the "coconut fatty acid" in AO products is just cetyl/cetearyl alcohol.

Anyway, I love coconut milk. When I buy a can it usually sits in my cabinet for a while so the cream part separates to the top and the water is on the bottom. I just scoop the cream out and use it as conditioner. It's mostly fat so it makes my hair slippery and oily, which I like. But if you don't like the oily feel it probably makes sense to mix it with honey, which I'm going to have to try. I usually use it as a cowash conditioner and leave it on while I'm in the shower. I find it to be moisturizing and it makes my hair easier to detangle.

I love all things from coconuts. As Naturalgurl says, coconuts have thick, coarse hair on the outside so you know they must be good for haircare.

Thank you msa, do you think that the coconut milk differs from the coconut oil or are they the same thing but in different forms.

:hiya:Hi LaColocha: I went to my Cabinet and got 3. And at some point and time I use all three in my Hair

Coconut Milk --
Cream of Coconut
Coconut Oil

The Coconut Milk and the Cream of Coconut share many of the same ingredients, althought the Cream of Coconut contains sugar. neither had "Oil" as an ingredient. Milk, Meat, etc....The Coconut Oil is just Oil and does not contain any of the same properties as the Milk or the Cream.

I have used all three and the Milk & the Cream really, make the hair very soft. I really loved the Cream because even though it was kind of sticky, it was alot thicker (kinda reminds you of Eagle Brand Milk) and I didn't have to worry about the running. Rinse out really well.

I used the Milk as a Final Rinse, and it was great. I even attempted to Baggy for a while and tied cotton around the baggy and doubled it to counteract some of the runnyness.

I think you would like both the Milk and the Cream. Both leave your Hair extremely Soft and Moisturized. Both are fairly inexpensive. I think they both were under $2.00 a can. So definitely worth a try.:grin:

Yes d i have used the gpb and hsr and they are very moisturizing, and its funny i stopped using the gpb because it makes my hair extra mushy but its a protein. Hsr is just right. The coconut milk and honey is what i have exactly in mind.

Did you use it on wet or dry hair? I'm asking b/c it was effective when I used it on wet hair, but it was much more effective when I used it on dry hair. On dry hair, I noticed less breakage.

Just finished oiling and cornrowing my DD hair with organic evco, it really softens and detangles quite nicely. Never had a problem with crunchiness. She is natural 3b/3c. This is usually wash day for us, she is going to a sleepover and they will be outside playing water games and swimming most of the day, so I thought the oil would be great for today, now her wash day is tomorrow. This is a great post.

Did you use it on wet or dry hair? I'm asking b/c it was effective when I used it on wet hair, but it was much more effective when I used it on dry hair. On dry hair, I noticed less breakage.

I tried it on both. On dry hair it was extra greezy like i slapped some crisco on it and i didn't see a difference and then i tried it on wet hair and my hair came out soo mushy i was scared it felt nasty. Now my hair strands are thin so that might of had something to do with it.

:hiya:Hi LaColocha: I went to my Cabinet and got 3. And at some point and time I use all three in my Hair

Coconut Milk --
Cream of Coconut
Coconut Oil

The Coconut Milk and the Cream of Coconut share many of the same ingredients, althought the Cream of Coconut contains sugar. neither had "Oil" as an ingredient. Milk, Meat, etc....The Coconut Oil is just Oil and does not contain any of the same properties as the Milk or the Cream.

I have used all three and the Milk & the Cream really, make the hair very soft. I really loved the Cream because even though it was kind of sticky, it was alot thicker (kinda reminds you of Eagle Brand Milk) and I didn't have to worry about the running. Rinse out really well.

I used the Milk as a Final Rinse, and it was great. I even attempted to Baggy for a while and tied cotton around the baggy and doubled it to counteract some of the runnyness.

I think you would like both the Milk and the Cream. Both leave your Hair extremely Soft and Moisturized. Both are fairly inexpensive. I think they both were under $2.00 a can. So definitely worth a try.:grin:

Hey miss lady thank you so much, I want to try it but i just don't want to go through the trouble of putting the moisture back in my hair if it gets brittle. The last time i revisited coconut oil my hair was dry, mad and started breaking off at the ends, like if i took my fingers and smushed my ends together little pieces were breaking off and i had to get my hair back right and trim, it wasn't alot to trim off but it was enough for me, I wanted to make sure my ends did not split up the shaft. Im just doing my research before i try this. Even if it doesn't make my hair soft i will be satisfied with it not making it brittle.

Coconut Milk --
Cream of Coconut
Coconut Oil

I am so happy that this question was posted. I saw coconut oil in the oil section of the grocery store and it was very thick and white. I expected to look like regular oil. Where do I find the coconut milk, and the cream of coconut? Also do you only use it a s a cowash and rinse it out, or do you let some of it stay on your hair?

I am so happy that this question was posted. I saw coconut oil in the oil section of the grocery store and it was very thick and white. I expected to look like regular oil. Where do I find the coconut milk, and the cream of coconut? Also do you only use it a s a cowash and rinse it out, or do you let some of it stay on your hair?

Coconut oil is solid and white but when it melts it is clear. It will melt in heat and be solid in a cooler climate. Coconut milk can be found in the grocery store, I know its usually in the asian isle or check your local health food store they also carry it. I have no idea where to find cream of coconut. For the milk and cream some people use it as a deep conditoner mixed with other things left on the hair for a period of time then rinse out. Or for a pre shampoo treatment. It can even be used as a rinse out conditioner. Coconut oil can be used for sealing after moisturizing the hair and can aid in detangling. For some it makes the hair soft and manageble, it also can be added to conditioners. Some people even use it alone on dry or damp hair. Hth

i use and love coconut milk and oil. what i will say is that my relaxed hair LOVED coconut oil, but my natural hair can take it or leave it. the last few times a used it my hair was thirsty in a few hours so idk. i wouldnt think the oil and milk are anything alike. the milk is very moisturizing esp. when i mix with honey and evoo or avocado oil.

Hey miss lady thank you so much, I want to try it but i just don't want to go through the trouble of putting the moisture back in my hair if it gets brittle. The last time i revisited coconut oil my hair was dry, mad and started breaking off at the ends, like if i took my fingers and smushed my ends together little pieces were breaking off and i had to get my hair back right and trim, it wasn't alot to trim off but it was enough for me, I wanted to make sure my ends did not split up the shaft. Im just doing my research before i try this. Even if it doesn't make my hair soft i will be satisfied with it not making it brittle.

You are going to find that both the Milk and the Cream are going to have Moisturizing Properties i.e. milk, cream and Trust Me, It is NOT going to "feel" or even "remotely" resemble anything like Coconut Oil:nono: Completely & Totally different.

I found the Milk & the Cream at the Grocery in the Isle where the Mexican/Ethic Foods are. I've also found both at the Health Food Store. It was much cheaper at the Grocery. At the HFS, it was about $2.00+. At the Grocery, it has been under $2.00.

Great as a Co-Wash. I've also mixed it with Honey, EVOO, etc......totally moisturizing. No drying properties at all. And I have extremely dry hair. It felt and Looked Fabulous afterwards. Because of a Natural Shine.:yep:

I think coconut milk and oil have different properties because my hair hates coconut milk. It makes my hair dry and brittle just like the oil does for you. I tried a coconut milk and honey recipe I found here and I would never do it again.

I think coconut milk and oil have different properties because my hair hates coconut milk. It makes my hair dry and brittle just like the oil does for you. I tried a coconut milk and honey recipe I found here and I would never do it again.

Hi jenn do you remember if you tried it in the summer or winter. And does it get cold there where you live? I know that i cannot use humectants in the winter like honey,glycerin etc because they make my hair dry. Do you think this could have been the case? Or does coconut milk just not agree with your hair.

Good Point. But I figure :scratchch hey...for under $2 Bucks, it's worth a try to see if it works for you. IMO, I thought the milk & the cream was very moisturizing and that the Coconut Oil, which I also use, performs entirely different on My Hair.

I hope you will buy a can of either the Milk or Cream, try it and come back and give us your opinion.:yep: I would be curious how it worked for You.

Good Point. But I figure :scratchch hey...for under $2 Bucks, it's worth a try to see if it works for you. IMO, I thought the milk & the cream was very moisturizing and that the Coconut Oil, which I also use, performs entirely different on My Hair.

I hope you will buy a can of either the Milk or Cream, try it and come back and give us your opinion.:yep: I would be curious how it worked for You.

Im still debating but i could try it on a section of hair instead of my whole head. that way it won't be too bad if its drying. I think i may try it on my next wash day. Thank you

Hi jenn do you remember if you tried it in the summer or winter. And does it get cold there where you live? I know that i cannot use humectants in the winter like honey,glycerin etc because they make my hair dry. Do you think this could have been the case? Or does coconut milk just not agree with your hair.

I don't remember what time of year it was but you have a good point. It does get cold here in the winter and my hair does not like glycerin or honey. some products with glycerin are ok with me throughout the year but not many. I just try to avoid it. I haven't tried honey or coconut since. Now that its hot I could try it again but my hair is in bad shape right now so I don't need any additional set backs.

I don't remember what time of year it was but you have a good point. It does get cold here in the winter and my hair does not like glycerin or honey. some products with glycerin are ok with me throughout the year but not many. I just try to avoid it. I haven't tried honey or coconut since. Now that its hot I could try it again but my hair is in bad shape right now so I don't need any additional set backs.

No, then its best not to try it. And don't worry just pamper your hair and it will be back in no time. Thanks for the responses.

Back