Coconut oil in the winter?

Lilmama1011

Is it un healthy for the coconut oil to be in your hair in the winter because it solidifies on your hair? Does this damage your hair in anyway? Thanks in advance ladies!

I don't think it will damage your hair but it will feel pretty nasty, at least to me it does. I don't use straight up coconut oil on my hair when I'm wearing it out this time of the year.

I put some in my hair yesterday and it hasn't solidified. :lol: My hair actually feels pretty soft and moisturized.

I live in London I use coconut oil all the time I never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm in London too and my jar of oil is solid, so I mix it with sunflower and olive oils to keep it liquid. I wouldn't use it alone when it's cold enough to go solid.

I don't think it will hurt anything or convert back to solid. But in the winter time I seal with a heavier oil like EVOO or Castor oil.

No its not, cut it with some evoo, castor, or other oils to counteract the freezing/solidification. i recommend mixing in evoo, castor, plus a ceramide oil like kukui, sesame, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, wheatgerm, walnut, etc. this is my regular mixture year round.

Our bodies radiate enough heat for it not to set it our hair. I wear coconut oil throughout the winter and so far have never noticed it setting in my hair.

How timely! I was just thinking that I might switch over to avocado oil because it's cooler now (Granted, I do live in Southern CA). Why the change? My coconut oil solidified in the jar while in the bathroom (cooler bathroom - I didn't turn the heat on yet).

i use coconut oil year round but i do live in florida. but when i lived in ny i also used it year round with no ill effects just use it at night so by morning its all penetrated into your hair. hth

Back