Coconut Oil Freezes on the Hair?????

bajanplums1

I have been using coconut oil with great results, but last week I realized that when I have it in my hair and it is cold outside, my hair becomes weird, almost plastic, until I am inside where it is warm.

Does anyone else had this problem? If so what is a good substitute for coconut oil in the winter?

I think any kind of coconut oil will do this if you're outside in the cold for awhile. That is why I don't use it in the summer because it melts very easily when heated.

I think it makes a great protectant for the cold winter months.

this is exactly the reason i stopped using it. it seems like whenever i went out in the cold it solidified on my hair and made it feel stiff. it was like i moisturized my hair with candle wax or something.

Yep! That's because coconut oil is a solid in it's natural state. Not sure why it would do that after applied to hair but I too experienced this when used during the colder months.

Try mixing it with liquid oils. Don't use shea butter. You'll only end up with the mixture solidifying again.

thanks for the heads up. Why did I go and switch to Shea Butter? damn! I just put it on my hair too. Ok. well, I need to find a good oil for the winter.

[ QUOTE ]
bajanplums1 said:when I have it in my hair and it is cold outside, my hair becomes weird, almost plastic, until I am inside where it is warm.

[/ QUOTE ]
This happened to me last weekend after I rollerset with coconut oil. My hair looked stringy and stiff. It wouldn't move or hang until I went inside a heated building and the coconut oil warmed up again.

Got glorious results during the summer, though.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I love the name of this thread. Yes, dear. As all have stated it will become solid once again. I wonder if that doesn't make it a nice protectant though in harsh winds and winter weather. I stopped using it though for this reason b/c I was afraid it might become white as well /images/graemlins/nono.gif. I just mixed it in w/some sesame seed oil and castor oil for use on my skin after my shower.

I agree with SilkyandSmooth, I only use it on wet hair, mixed with a light, water based conditioner (as a leave in), and it works fine. My hair drinks it up, so there is nothing left to solidify! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I warm my oil up in a cup filled with warm water to use it, haven't had any solidifying problems, but I live in Cali, so I guess that makes a difference...

A couple years ago when I was using coconut oil regularly I notyiced this. This was the one reason I really liked coconut oil (despite the smell which I can't stand) my hair would feel coated as soon as I went outside and for some reason it made me feel as if my hair had a special shield on it and therefore no harm would come to it.

It also didn't bother me because as soon as I stepped foot in somehwhere warm, it would loosen right back up.

Well, I have Dabur Vatika Oil, which is coconut oil, and in order to get it to come out of the bottle, I have to warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave unless the bottle has been stored in a warm environment. I haven't noticed it having that solidifying effect on my hair because I started using it in March. I will see this winter. :ohwell: My favorite hair oil is Wild Growth Hair Oil, so I can always use that.

Last edited:
Back