Coconut Milk / Coconut Oil...ummh

ryanshope

where is the protein? I keep hearing people saying that they can't use coconut milk or oil because of the protein...where is it? Cuz my can of coconut milk has 1 g of protein in it; and none in the oil. I am no nutritionist or biologist, but I know that proteins are made of amino acids---does coconut contain a large enough amount of amino acids to be considered a "protein". Just curious...

http://www.coconut-connections.com/

....."Saturated Fat ~ A Vital Ingredient for a Healthy Body: Over many decades coconut oil received bad publicity due to its saturated fat content, but research has shown that not all saturated fats are alike and coconut oil is unique in its structural make-up. It is not only the highest source of saturated fats (92%) but included in this is the highest source of saturated medium chain triglycerides (62%) of any naturally occurring vegan food source. Furthermore around 50% of these MCT’s are made up of lauric acid, the most important essential fatty acid in building and maintaining the body’s immune system.

Apart from coconut oil, the only other source of lauric acid found in such high concentrations is in mother’s milk. Tropical oils and mother’s milk are by far the richest food sources of medium chain fatty acids available. The closest other source of these vital building blocks for our immune system would be milk fat and butter, comprising around 3% of its content. Any other vegetable oil is completely deficient in these medium chain fatty acids.

It should also be remembered that the negative research done on coconut oil in the past was the result of one study conducted four decades ago, using hydrogenated oil (which has been processed and altered from its original form), not on virgin coconut oil. Research shows that some saturated fat is in fact necessary for human health and modern research shows that the medium chain fatty acids help to increase metabolism and are more easily digested than fats found in other oils. This is because they are processed directly in the liver and immediately converted into energy. There is therefore less strain on the liver, pancreas and digestive system and these MCFA provide the body with a wonderful, quick source of energy. More >>>

http://livinggrocery.com/Pages/CoilInfo.htm

Nutritional Benefits of Coconut Products

Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has 120 calories for 1 tablespoon and 14 grams of total fat. These figures are the same for almost any kind of oil from extra virgin olive oil to soybean oil. The difference is that coconut oil contains 11 to 12 grams saturated fat. Coconut oil when subjected to heat or complex processing, like other oils, looses its significant natural vitamins and minerals.

Young coconuts are considered highly nutritious. One whole coconut has only 140 calories and provides 17% of the RDA for calcium. The total fat content is 3 grams, all saturated. With a zero content of cholesterol, the young coconut has 50 mg sodium, 28 grams of carbohydrate, 2 grams of fiber,15 grams of sugar, and 2 grams of protein.

Mature Coconut: The raw grated meat of a mature coconut has 283 calories and 2.7 grams of protein for 1 cup. For the carb counters, that 1 cup contains 12.2 grams of carbohydrates. The sodium content is low at 16 mg. Coconut is a high fiber food that delivers 7.2 grams for 1 cup of freshly grated meat. The sticky point of coconut consumption is the fat. That 1 cup of grated coconut packs 26.8 grams of total fat with 23.8 grams saturated which means that it is 80% fat. Our 1 cup of grated fresh coconut contains a good range of B vitamins except B12, with 21.1 mcg of folic acid and 2.6 mg of vitamin C. Coconut is a good source of minerals with 11.2 mg of calcium, 1.9 mg. of iron, 15.6 mg of magnesium, 285 mg. of potassium, and 0.9 mg. of zinc.

Coconut Milk: For the same measure, canned coconut milk contains 445 calories, 5 grams protein, and 6 grams of carbohydrate. Total fat is 48.2 grams, with 42.7 grams saturated.

Canned coconut milk lacks vitamin B2 and B12 but has a good range of other B vitamins including 30 mcg of folic acid. Vitamin C content is 2.3 mg. For the minerals our coconut milk contains 40.7 mg of calcium, 7.5 mg. of iron, 104.0 mg. of magnesium, 497 mg. of potassium, and 1.3 mg. of zinc.

Fresh coconut milk is slightly higher in the B vitamins, zinc, and potassium but slightly lower in calcium, iron, and magnesium.

Coconut Water: On the average 1 cup contains about 46 calories and 2 grams of protein. The sodium content is surprisingly high with 252 mg. and so is the fiber at 3 grams. The total fat is exceptionally low at 0.5 grams with 0.4 grams saturated. Coconut water contains a full range of B vitamins with the exception of vitamin B6 and B12. There are 6.00 mcg of folic acid and 5.8 mg of vitamin C. Rating the minerals that 1 cup contains 57.6 mg of calcium, 0.7 mg. of iron, 60 mg of magnesium, 600 mg of potassium, and 0.2 mg of zinc.

I love coconut oil! and my hair is protein sensitive and I use the oil almost daily to seal my ends.

I do not believe there is protein in it :/

Now the reason I am harping on this is because I feel like someone(and it could be me) is miseducated---I don't think coconut oil has enough protein to be classified as a protein, if that makes sense. And I constantly hear friends say, oh I can't use coconut oil because of the protein content---I am like huh? Now maybe the lauric acid is the culprit, but I need someone to present the science behind coconut and protein.

TIA

Last edited:
As I understand it coconut oil helps the hair to keep from losing protein. I haven't researched this myself but I've seen it written in threads. I'm not even sure it makes sense. But I've never heard coconut oil itself classified as a protein. My hair is UBER protein sensitive and I can use EVCO all day everyday. Love it!

You are correct ryanshope. Coconut oil doesn't have any protein in it. Coconut milk/cream has very small amounts of protein. I have both in my kitchen. Whoever is complaining about these products having too much protein is mistaken. Glad you brought this up!

Virgin coconut oil is one of the best things on earth, IMO! :)

I love coconut oil! and my hair is protein sensitive and I use the oil almost daily to seal my ends.

I do not believe there is protein in it :/

Same here.
Now the reason I am harping on this is because I feel like someone(and it could be me) is miseducated---I don't think coconut oil has enough protein to be classified as a protein, if that makes sense. And I constantly hear friends say, oh I can't use coconut oil because of the protein content---I am like huh? Now maybe the lauric acid is the culprit, but I need someone to present the science behind coconut and protein.

TIA

And I agree. My theory is that the reason for the myth is that coconut oil is strengthening. Like others have said, it prevents/minimizes protein loss from the hair. That is, it reduces loss of our natural keratin in the hair strand because of its affinity to keratin. So with that, maybe some assume because it is strengthening it has a noticeable amount of protein.

Whatever's in it, my hair does not like it :nono: I think I'm one of the rare ones cause when I use it my hair feels dry and starts snapping off! My hair is protein sensitive, but don't consider coconut oil a protein.

Thanks ladies :-) ....Love the smart ladies of LHCF.

I love coconut oil too---the cream, the milk, the oil--everything. I am doing the coconut cream treatment and my hair LOVES the extra moisture.

The only time coconut oil works best for me is during the summer months. Once it gets cold, i can't leave it in my hair cause of the rough texture i get.

I have never tried coconut milk and honestly i never will, i would rather make curry with it.

I've only heard that coconut oil aids the hair in ABSORBING protein ... I've been a little confused with the coconut oil being a protein comments too

I always assumed that people called coconut oil a protein because in cold temperatures it can make the hair stiff/hard...which is a characteristic of some protein conditioners. I'm with the other ladies who have said it is not protein.

OP i found an interesting quote:

A Coconut is a fruit and a seed. It is the fruit of the coconut tree, but it's also the seed of the coconut itself. Fruit are not protein and cannot act as a protein. But because coconut oil is penetrating and moisturizing, it can strengthen your hair by making it more elastic and harder to break.

Coconut oil is great for the body and the hair. Not sure if it has any protein, but I have heard that it mimics what protein does for the hair. I believe that it conditions the hair more than anything, because it is full of good natural fats.

Back