Coconut Cream relaxant Ad

finickyone

I just saw the advertisement above for the Coconut cream relaxant. Has anyone tried it? The ad reads:

Coconut Cream Relaxant is formulated for women and young children of color with natural or transitional hair. Our relaxant leaves hair more manageable by loosening/relaxing the natural curl pattern of the hair. Unlike "traditional" relaxer which straighten hair Coconut Cream Relaxant does not change the integrity of the hair. It contains critical fatty acids which nourishes dry, damaged hair and prevents breakage.
Ingredients: Purified Water, Virgin (organic) Coconut Oil, Coconut Cream Concentrate, Panthenol, Palm Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Optiphen (Phenoxyethanol & Caprylyl Glycol), Tetrasodium EDTA, Rosemary Oleoresin Extract, Emulsifying Wax (plant based).
Use Coconut Cream Relaxant to:
purple-arr.gif
treat dry, damaged hair
purple-arr.gif
refresh dull curls
purple-arr.gif
stimulate hair growth
purple-arr.gif
detangle hair
purple-arr.gif
restore natural curl
purple-arr.gif
treat pre/post braided hair
purple-arr.gif
treat hair between traditional relaxers

Curl Pattern Classifications
* Hair should be dry when determining curl pattern *​

3A-Large repeat

S curl shape
3a-large-icon.gif

3B-Medium repeat

S curl shape
3b-medium-icon.gif

4C-Small/Tight repeats S curl shape
4c-small-icon.gif

3=Curly Hair
spacer.gif
Climate Dependent, Frizz Prone often in the shape of an s or backwards s. This hair has a definite curl. It is often oiled too often or not enough. Hair becomes tangled more than any other curl pattern.

4A-Large repeat W or Z
WZ-large-icon.gif

4B-Medium repeat W or Ze
WZ-medium-icon.gif

4C-Small/Tightly Coiled w or z
WZ-small-icon.gif

4=Kinky Hair
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Oil Dependent, Tighly Coiled Hair often in the shape of a W or Z which repeats. This hair needs oils to be applied more frequently. Hair breaks more than any other curl pattern.

To My Daughter:
It has been a long, tedious journey in finding a product that will repair the damaged done to your hair. I see the beauty and potential in your natural hair. As a chemists I have always been attracted to natural product ingredients, with Coconut Cream Relaxant we are almost there. I hope you continue to grow healthier hair that you will not only appreciate now but also as you grow.​

Love,
Mommie​

Sounds just like something one of the members here uses on her daughters hair except it has yogurt in it.

I tried her mixture on my daughters 4b hair and didn't get favorable results (bentonite clay is best) but I think it would be an excellent conditioner for very dry hair.

Havent tried it but there is a poster here who tried and she has a video on YT. Looking at the ingredients in the ad, why are there so many additional ingredients? Why is necessary to ad EDTA a clarifying agent?

If I remember there were only like 3 ingredients, coconut cream, oil & plain yogurt..

I'm transitioning and tried the whole coconut cream thing a lot on my ng.
It sort of seems to relax your curl, but personally I think the coconut fat simply makes the coils clump more and thereby seem bigger/looser. It does make my hair nice and soft and I still add it to my DC's regularly, but I don't think it will actually relax. Not my type 4 hair, anyway.

There is nothing in there that you couldn't get from lotioncrafter and make yourself. There is no need for that terasodium.

I just saw the advertisement above for the Coconut cream relaxant. Has anyone tried it? The ad reads:

Coconut Cream Relaxant is formulated for women and young children of color with natural or transitional hair. Our relaxant leaves hair more manageable by loosening/relaxing the natural curl pattern of the hair. Unlike "traditional" relaxer which straighten hair Coconut Cream Relaxant does not change the integrity of the hair. It contains critical fatty acids which nourishes dry, damaged hair and prevents breakage.
Ingredients: Purified Water, Virgin (organic) Coconut Oil, Coconut Cream Concentrate, Panthenol, Palm Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Optiphen (Phenoxyethanol & Caprylyl Glycol), Tetrasodium EDTA, Rosemary Oleoresin Extract, Emulsifying Wax (plant based).

Bolded: Glycol that's what's in traditional perms very drying and does change curl pattern depending on how much is in it. EDTA is that even necessary if it's a "natural" product?
Just use the coconut creme and a heat cap, your hair will be soft, moisturized and curls will pop, no chems needed. I use plain natural coconut creme concentrate cooking grade all the time to DC, JMO

Thanks ladies!

Sunshine lady, I figured for the 18.99 that they are charging for this application, I could make it myself & have enough to last for several applications. I've tried the coconut cream relaxer from "thatgirl" on youtube & it was wonderful on my daughter's hair. It didn't so much as relax her curls, but it made her hair so much more manageable. Like Shoediva, I'm a bit confused about the extra ingredients in this one & wondered if it made a difference.

Bolded: Glycol that's what's in traditional perms very drying and does change curl pattern depending on how much is in it. EDTA is that even necessary if it's a "natural" product?
Just use the coconut creme and a heat cap, your hair will be soft, moisturized and curls will pop, no chems needed. I use plain natural coconut creme concentrate cooking grade all the time to DC, JMO

Thank you so much! This is what I wanted to hear. I was going to look up the ingredients & wondered if any of them are used in regular relaxers. I am in love with my texture & do not want to permanently change it & sure do not want to mess up my daughter's natural texture.

What irriates me is this is being advertised as natural and some unsuspecting mom is going to think this would be a natural alternative and its just a chemical.

here is the website http://www.coconutcreamrelaxant.com/
and she got the nerve to be charging $18.99

Last edited:
Thank you so much! This is what I wanted to hear. I was going to look up the ingredients & wondered if any of them are used in regular relaxers. I am in love with my texture & do not want to permanently change it & sure do not want to mess up my daughter's natural texture.
yes it's a chemical, 2 harsh ones for sure and the glycol def changes texture. The coconut creme concentrate works great it's my staple for DC-ing.

Wanted to post about the unanswered questions regarding Coconut Cream Relaxant and EDTA, and Phenoxyethanol.

Before I do so I would like to mention that I am associated with Coconut Cream Relaxant, LLC. People often will not disclose this information in attempt to get individuals to purchase their company's product. So no "tom foolery" here.

I do want to clarify a term used "chemical". We often used this term to describe synthetic ingredients but there are naturally occuring chemicals (which occur naturally in the body) For instance Ubiquinone or coenzyme Q. It occurs in the body naturally but as we age there is less of it. This is when we purchase a bottle of coenzyme Q (synthetic) to replace it. So I will use the term synthetic instead of chemical

There was a question about why use EDTA?

Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent that sequesters metal ions. Or puts metal ions in "prison" so it will not alter the product. It is often used for personal care to stabilize the product and prevent the product from altering due to things such as air or water. Tetrasodium EDTA is a synthetic (man made) material in Coconut Cream Relaxant which contains less than .05%

To answer another question about glycol "ol" indicator for alcohol. Does it change the integrity of the hair? This depends on how much is used and how often. Phenoxyethanol is a preservative it is used in products like this that contain oils and other materials to maintain its self life. Coconut Cream Relaxant contains less than 0.4%.

There are some yogurts that contain potassium sorbate which is a preservative and other synthetic additives. So if you are a person who uses "organic" products please be advised. And if you are looking products like "Wallaby" can found in local health food stores that will not contain synthetic preservatives.

I have also using the coconut cream receipe which I love. But I have a litle girl with 4C hair. There were just not enough oils in the receipe to substain her type of hair. This is my case, I know each of us are different she needed more than mere tbsps of oil.

This is why Coconut Cream Relaxant contains over 80% of palm, coconut, and coconut cream concentrate.

Thanks for letting me answer some of your questions. If you have any other questions ask away.

Again, yes I am associated with Coconut Cream Relaxant

Thank you very much for explaining the ingredients in this product! How long have your product been around? This is the first I have heard of it.

Wanted to post about the unanswered questions regarding Coconut Cream Relaxant and EDTA, and Phenoxyethanol.

Before I do so I would like to mention that I am associated with Coconut Cream Relaxant, LLC. People often will not disclose this information in attempt to get individuals to purchase their company's product. So no "tom foolery" here.

I do want to clarify a term used "chemical". We often used this term to describe synthetic ingredients but there are naturally occuring chemicals (which occur naturally in the body) For instance Ubiquinone or coenzyme Q. It occurs in the body naturally but as we age there is less of it. This is when we purchase a bottle of coenzyme Q (synthetic) to replace it. So I will use the term synthetic instead of chemical

Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent that sequesters metal ions. Or puts metal ions in "prison" so it will not alter the product. It is often used for personal care to stabilize the product and prevent the product from altering due to things such as air or water. Tetrasodium EDTA is a synthetic (man made) material in Coconut Cream Relaxant which contains less than .05%

To answer another question about glycol "ol" indicator for alcohol. Does it change the integrity of the hair? This depends on how much is used and how often. Phenoxyethanol is a preservative it is used in products like this that contain oils and other materials to maintain its self life. Coconut Cream Relaxant contains less than 0.4%.

There are some yogurts that contain potassium sorbate which is a preservative and other synthetic additives. So if you are a person who uses "organic" products please be advised. And if you are looking products like "Wallaby" can found in local health food stores that will not contain synthetic preservatives.

I have also using the coconut cream receipe which I love. But I have a litle girl with 4C hair. There were just not enough oils in the receipe to substain her type of hair. This is my case, I know each of us are different she needed more than mere tbsps of oil.

This is why Coconut Cream Relaxant contains over 80% of palm, coconut, and coconut cream concentrate.

Thanks for letting me answer some of your questions. If you have any other questions ask away.

Yes I knew it, if you keep using it it will slowly or quickly depending your hair type relax the curl and make your hair drier over time damaging it if you don't know what to do to counteract the alcohol in it.
Oh and someone said they shouldn't be marketing it as natural well they can as long as the ingredients are 70% natural and rest synthetic or caustic whatever they can still call it "natural"

It doesn't seem all that bad, it can't be worse than BKT with all that heat on the hair, but they shouldn't call it natural.
so anyone trying this?

Last edited:
TWENTY BUCKS???? are you fricckin' kidding me???? LOL...........

No thanks. I make my own.....:nono: - And I don't think the OWNER should come on the site to say a Word...... Destroys your cred honey....

Yes I knew it, if you keep using it it will slowly or quickly depending your hair type relax the curl and make your hair drier over time damaging it if you don't know what to do to counteract the alcohol in it.
Oh and someone said they shouldn't be marketing it as natural well they can as long as the ingredients are 70% natural and rest synthetic or caustic whatever they can still call it "natural"

It doesn't seem all that bad, it can't be worse than BKT with all that heat on the hair, but they shouldn't call it natural.
so anyone trying this?

Um - YEA - we already have!!! Because we mixed it up in the kitchen!!!!

Once again - why I do not post any of my recipes.... People are nuts.:nono::nono::nono:

Gosh, no disrespect - But what is really outrageous is that most people on this forum are pretty darned savvy when it come to ingredients.
I have Optiphen in my cabinet. It is a preservative. So - Big deal..... so is tetrasodium EDTA - found in most beauty products.......

I guess the biggest issue I have is that you don't need to defend your product. We will figure it out for ourselves........:sad:

This reminds me of the Diva Smooth..... Honey and Olive oil.... Please.

Last edited:
Love you Lucky's Mom, and please don't stop posting your recipes. I think this should be a closed forum to begin with! No google searches should bring up our hard earned research for someone to steal.

They paid their $ to post here. A lot of people will buy it because they are not kitchen chemists.:grin: I tried the online coconut relaxer and it was like :rolleyes: to me when I was natural. Coconut milk, however made my curls very happy. If we learn the ingredients we can make our own cheaper version. Some do so well, they sell what they make. Her price is outrageous, but so are so many "natural" products being sold.

Most products have to be preserved with something. I guess I do not see the big deal about the optiphen.

I wouldn't purchase it, especially for $18.99. But I prefer to make simple products (w/ familiar ingredients) like this on my own. I make some exceptions, but this would not be one of them.

Also, where is the history that edta and optiphen loosens curl pattern? If that is the case wouldn't some conditioners loosen curls as well (Suave)?

NO one said that EDTA loosens curl pattern, it's just a preservative and for a "natural" product they could use a natural preservative. But the optiphen might do this, I don't know for sure since I haven't tried these product nor have I seen any reviews on it good or bad.

suave tropical coconut ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol; Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate]; Freesia Refracta (Freesia Refracta) Extract [Freesia Extract]; Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Barbadensis) Gel [Aloe Vera]; Cetrimonium Chloride; Fragrance (Parfum); Potassium Chloride; Distearyldimonium Chloride; Disodium EDTA; DMDM Hydantoin; Glycerin; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Propylene Glycol; Methylisothiazolinone, FD&C Blue No. 1 (Cl 42090), FD&C Green No. 3 (Cl 42053).

I would really like to know if anyone with 4b has/will try this.

I personally do not wnat to use the btk because of all the heat required.

honestly nothing is every 100% natural. it doesn't appear to have as many harsh synthetics in it as an actual relaxer which is also drying if the hair is not taken care of properly.

I appreciate someone that actually works with the company explaining in detail why they used the ingredients they used, and for a product to last a while you will need some sort of synthetics/chemicals to preserve it, if not products would only last a few days or weeks because they would rot right before our eyes, thus the use of parabens for preservation.

just my 2 cents. I think we can be a bit harsh on things here,

you don't have to buy the product op was just curious if anyone had heard of it or used it that's all.

STOP DON'T DO IT!!!
Why would anyone pay for this? Well the media can twist things.
The link below shows how you can do this without paying huge somes of money. I am yet to try it but will be in the summer.

Coconut & Yogurt straighter for natural hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBLGdTOGT4&feature=related

Also a list of LHCF threads started about it....

Naturals: Coconut and Lime mix
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=235827&highlight=coconut+lime

Coconut & Lime - Plus Steam - Relaxer Results- PICS
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215967

Yogurt for Straightening/Loosing curl pattern in 4b naturals...
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=167391

Lime and coconut milk natural relaxer users?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=12363&highlight=coconut+lime

Coconut Milk Recipe
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=197039&highlight=coconut+lime

Coconut and Lime Treatments?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=133137&highlight=coconut+lime

Lime and coconut milk natural relaxer users?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=12363

Enjoy!!!

Hmm, I wonder how much effect the Optiphen (Phenoxyethanol & Caprylyl Glycol) would have on damage if only contains 0.4%? Tetrasodium EDTA is a preservative, so no big deal.

Back