coco butter curl activator gel to decrease shrinkage?

mommy2kaela

I came across an article that said to put cocobutter in a jar of curl activsotr gel to naturally relax curls and reduce shrinkage. Has anyone ever tried this? The article said cocobutter has natural relaxing properties.

I wonder if shea butter or any other butters would work. Are u going to give it a try?

I wonder if shea butter or any other butters would work. Are u going to give it a try?

I want to its inexpensive I can get a strick of cocobutter for $0.99 and curl activater is cheap, but i was hoping there would be others who have tried this. When I try it I'll update.

I would think it might work anyway b/c coco butter is so heavy and rich. The weight would stretch out your hair, and the gel would lock it in so the moisture/butter couldn't evaporate and cause shrinkage.

I think something similar would be leaving in a healthy amount of CON after co-washing and then covering that with serum. The CON elongates your hair, and the serum keeps the CON moist so your hair doesn't get crunchy and dry when it dries.

Try it and tell us!!

:lachen: :lachen: In 2006, I was told of a recipe that included melting a cocoa butter stick in the microwave adding S Curl gel and Bees wax to form this concoction that's great for hair. This was not to "relax" my hair but I was told that applied to my hair it'd make my twist out look good and not shrink--since I did my twist-outs normally without products. Didn't happen! :lachen:

Here was my twist-out without products:
TwistOutJuly2006-vi.jpg

And this was the supposedly improved twist-out after applying cocoa butter and s curl and beeswax :lachen:
coctioncocoabutterbeeswaxscurl-vi.jpg

ETA: For me, it was the recipe for maximum shrinkage. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah they have a recipe of using something like that Called "Curly Pudding" They would use coco butter sticks, activator gel, beeswax and I think a couple more ingredients and would use it as a Subsitute for Miss Jessies Curly Pudding. I guess if you wear your hair short & curly it will work, not sure about decreasing shrinkage.

I've been doing this since being natural. I never did it to elongate (sp?) my curls because I like the shrinkage. I use it on my puffs and cornrows. I melt 3-4 sticks of the pure cocoa butter and stir it in to the big tub of Long aid curl activator. It keeps my hair soft and moist but gives it hold

Back