Co-washing + Itchy Scalp...Help?

Lava27

This is my second time cowashing and I think I'm realizing that it makes my scalp feel itchy each time. I'm pretty bummed out because this method seems to have helped a lot of you retain growth, and my hair feels very soft. But my scalp...hmmmm....not so happy. :perplexed

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on how to stop this, or must I give up cowashing completely??

LAva

This is my second time cowashing and I think I'm realizing that it makes my scalp feel itchy each time. I'm pretty bummed out because this method seems to have helped a lot of you retain growth, and my hair feels very soft. But my scalp...hmmmm....not so happy. :perplexed

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on how to stop this, or must I give up cowashing completely??

LAva

I would like an answer to this too.... I'm experiencing the same issue. I c/wd the other day and my scalp is really angry. I don't know what to do. I also shampoo with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. I had to go back to my BT due to the itching and flaking. Eczema is flaring up really bad. :nono:

Did you rinse the conditioner out well enough? It could be conditioner residue left on your scalp.

What conditioner did you use? Nexxus Humectress left my scalp on fire. Just didn't work for me. Other than that, I don't think I've had this problem.

I would like an answer to this too.... I'm experiencing the same issue. I c/wd the other day and my scalp is really angry. I don't know what to do. I also shampoo with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. I had to go back to my BT due to the itching and flaking. Eczema is flaring up really bad. :nono:

Did the cowashing make your eczema flair up? Hmm...I used to have bad eczema as a kid, but now it really only happens very seldom when I'm stressed..I wonder though is there some sorta eczema connection to this thing???hmmmm?

Did you rinse the conditioner out well enough? It could be conditioner residue left on your scalp.

What conditioner did you use? Nexxus Humectress left my scalp on fire. Just didn't work for me. Other than that, I don't think I've had this problem.

I may not have rinsed as well as I could have because I was trying to hurry. I use HE Hello Hydration, which I have used as an after shampoo condish and I loved it. What conditioner do you usually use for cowashes?

Try not getting the conditioner on your scalp- go for hair only hair only like a relaxer.

OH snap! This may have been the problem. I think I was sorta trying to clean my scalp with the conditioner. Won't do this next time :)

Thanx for responses lasdies

I use to have this problem, then I started avoiding conditioners with so many cones in it. Then I started adding olive oil, and coconut oil to the conditioner and that has helped me alot. I now daily co-wash daily due to this change.

My scalp hates all types of conditioner, so I try to only apply it to my length. I try to rinse well but my scalp still goes wild and most times will itch for four days after the conditioner comes in contact with my scalp.

I use to have this problem, then I started avoiding conditioners with so many cones in it. Then I started adding olive oil, and coconut oil to the conditioner and that has helped me alot. I now daily co-wash daily due to this change.

Hmm interesting...what conditioners have worked for you so far?

When I cowash, since I use coconut milk straight from the can, I make sure to rinse really really well and to vigorously scratch/rub my scalp to make sure there's none left over.

You just have to be sure to get all the conditioner off your scalp so that it doesn't build up and cause your scalp to itch, especially if it's a thick conditioner.

CW for me are for moisturizing my hair, not cleaning it and not cleaning my scalp. So when I CW, I apply it only to my hair skipping the bottom inch near my scalp. Then I rinse.

When I want to wash my scalp--which I do twice a week, I use shampoo and apply it to my scalp and massage it well to clean. Then I start to rinse and that's when the diluted shampoo is squeezed through my hair to clean. I pay attention to the color of the suds and if they aren't clean, I repeat the scalp clean and hair squeeze during the rinse. Then I apply conditioner again skipping the section near my scalp.

I never put conditioner on my scalp. It is a recipe for itches. I can't even sleep with conditioner in my hair and a baggy overnight or my head will be on fire...although Msa, who's turning out to be my biggest idol, has just given me an idea to condition w/ coconut milk. I might try an overnight conditioning with that. Thanks, Msa! :kiss: (Need to send you a PM....)

CW for me are for moisturizing my hair, not cleaning it and not cleaning my scalp. So when I CW, I apply it only to my hair skipping the bottom inch near my scalp. Then I rinse.

When I want to wash my scalp--which I do twice a week, I use shampoo and apply it to my scalp and massage it well to clean. Then I start to rinse and that's when the diluted shampoo is squeezed through my hair to clean. I pay attention to the color of the suds and if they aren't clean, I repeat the scalp clean and hair squeeze during the rinse. Then I apply conditioner again skipping the section near my scalp.

I never put conditioner on my scalp. It is a recipe for itches. I can't even sleep with conditioner in my hair and a baggy overnight or my head will be on fire...although Msa, who's turning out to be my biggest idol, has just given me an idea to condition w/ coconut milk. I might try an overnight conditioning with that. Thanks, Msa! :kiss: (Need to send you a PM....)

Wow! Yall are puttin the knowledge on me! I had no idea...thanx so much ladies :) Keep it comin!

Try not to use a condish with too many cones because that will cause build up and cones can only be removed with a sls/als/coco betaine shampoo. Also, try to avoid applying condish to the scalp. Before you apply condish to your hair rinse the scalp with water instead.

The only "conditioner" that I apply to my scalp is MegaTek but I haven't been using that for about 3 weeks now.

Back