C'mom Ladies! Gimme the best detanglers! Combs and brushes included!

*ElleB

I'm trying to build up and arsenal to combat my tangled mess of hair everytime that I wash!! :eek: :eek:

i think I have hard water is to blame as well, but anyhoo...

Gimme the BEST Detangling...

Shampoos!
Combs!
Brushes!
Detangling Sprays, Creams, ETC!

I need to have some help NOW!!!

Girl, I hear you. Last week I went on vacation, and when I washed upon my return, it was a tangled mess! It even gave my stand by detanglers CON poo, combing under the shower stream with conditioner and my shower comb a run for their money. I'm interested to hear the best detangling products too.

Last edited:
Brush....Denman
Comb....Jilbere shower comb
Detangler.....Qhemet Olive cream or Elucence
Shampoo.....sorry I have no clue

Comb = Jilbere shower comb!!!! :love:
Brush = I would think just about any paddle brush with the ball tips on the ends. I have a Denman brush too (not the paddle one), but I wouldn't dare try using that on wet hair.
Shampoo= Keracare Hydrating Detangling and Creme of Nature (green label)
Conditioner= umm, Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture Daily Treatment and just maybe Elucence
Sprays/Creams = Bain de Terre Herbal Sea Mist, Motions Nourish, Rusk Sensories Smoother

Oh, I can relate about the tangles. That's why I have to cowash daily and detangle (every day) directly under the shower water and/or with tons of conditioner. If I do that AND keep my hair in a protective style, then I don't get those serious knots. Otherwise my hair loves to tangle just from me looking at it in the mirror! No kidding. I don't touch my hair with a comb or brush outside the shower. That just brings disaster.

My favorite comb right now is the Creative 8L Seamless Comb. I want to try the Mason Pearson Rake. Just haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

I rarely use shampoo and even then, it's for clarifying purposes. I really love to put a bit of honey in my conditioners. I found an Israeli conditioner that is wonderful, but it would be hard for most people to get. When I don't want to spend a lot of money, I'll use one of those cheapie V05 conditioners (Tea Therapy Nourishing). I love AO GPB, watered down just a bit. But that has serious protein, which my hair cannot take too much of.

The best trick I've learned is combing with a wide tooth comb, gently, directly under the force of the water.

Wish I could be more help.

I have a wide shower comb with a long handle from Sally's that detangles really good.

I never use a brush for detangling.

Optimum care Shampoo and Conditioner are good detangles. So is Suave Green Tea conditioner mixed with olive oil.

Thanks Ladies....I saw the Jibere at a CVS near my school, when i thought of it and went back to buy it, there were no more :(, I gotta keep looking!

Here's what works for me (more tips then products):

*Pre-poo with a combo of your fav conditioners
*Lather up once when shampooing (I use Sunsilk Anti-Frizz)
*Detangle under the shower with your fingers when shampooing and when applying conditioner for deep conditioning

These have worked wonders for me.

TSUprincess04 said:
Comb = Jilbere shower comb!!!! :love: I can't be without this comb. I have two.

Brush = I would think just about any paddle brush with the ball tips on the ends. I have a Denman brush too (not the paddle one), but I wouldn't dare try using that on wet hair. I have Denman 3. Love it.
Shampoo= Keracare Hydrating Detangling and Creme of Nature (green label) Both of these are very good. Time for me to buy more Keracare

Conditioner= umm, Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture Daily Treatment and just maybe Elucence
Sprays/Creams = Bain de Terre Herbal Sea Mist, Motions Nourish, Rusk Sensories Smoother
Thanks TSUPrincess for giving me the 411 on Bain de Terre!!

TSU Summed it very well. I am going to BOLD out the ones that I use.

Comb: Jibere or Conair shower comb (I have a conair one I got at walgreens 2 yrs ago)

Conditioner: Elucence-I let it sit for like 10 min and I am good to go.

Africa's Best Oil work for me in my pre-poo treatment to help loosen tangles. I mix this with some conditioner.

ETA-I agree w/Oneinamillion's post totally. this is what I do everytime I wash my hair

One thing has helped me with serious tangles after washing (no matter what shampoo/conditioner) that I do (not even product related so you will save money :D)....

Braiding my hair in sections BEFORE washing. This has cut out any tangling issues that I have had in the past (and trust me, they use to be SERIOUS ... to where I would lose at least a golf ball-size of hair and sometimes more). Since I started braiding my hair in sections (even before starting the crown n' glory), I haven't had any problems with tangling.

Now, of course, I have my beloved Paul Mitchell Super Skinny System. But sometimes, I use something different other than Paul Mitchell because I'm trying to use up my stuff and I NEVER have a problem with tangles. Now how my hair feels after it's dried (when I use something different than my favorite products) is another question; but at least I don't have any problems with tangling.

Try it ... I use a fine-toothed comb with over 2 years of new growth just because I do it this way. :D

It may seem to be too much to do but it's worth not having to deal with tangles so you really save a lot of time in the end.

LiLi said:
One thing has helped me with serious tangles after washing (no matter what shampoo/conditioner) that I do (not even product related so you will save money :D)....

Braiding my hair in sections BEFORE washing. This has cut out any tangling issues that I have had in the past (and trust me, they use to be SERIOUS ... to where I would lose at least a golf ball-size of hair and sometimes more). Since I started braiding my hair in sections (even before starting the crown n' glory), I haven't had any problems with tangling.

Now, of course, I have my beloved Paul Mitchell Super Skinny System. But sometimes, I use something different other than Paul Mitchell because I'm trying to use up my stuff and I NEVER have a problem with tangles. Now how my hair feels after it's dried (when I use something different than my favorite products) is another question; but at least I don't have any problems with tangling.

Try it ... I use a fine-toothed comb with over 2 years of new growth just because I do it this way. :D

It may seem to be too much to do but it's worth not having to deal with tangles so you really save a lot of time in the end.

This is very interesting to me. But does the hair really get clean while in the braids? My waist length hair buddy over at BHM does this too. I don't quite understand though when you actually comb out the hair. Right now I comb under the shower stream with conditioner in my hair. And I always thought the tangles where already in my hair before I actually washed it, but do they actually set in while washing? :confused:

I am very intrigued about this technique though. I'm off to the Crown and Glory website to do some research on this... :sekret:

Biolage Detangling Solution is the SHIZZNIT

I have three tetures in my hair, 4b at the root, tetralaxed hair in the middle and bone staight on the ends. This has saved my hair, Thank you isis for recommending it. It is the bomb, better than even eulesece. I use this after deep conditioning with my jibere shower comb. ElleB, u must give it a try:)

My Denman Brush + Qhemet Biologics Olive Cream Detangler = 0 tangles! These 2 things worked a miricle on me and my daughters hair. FOR REAL!!!

*ElleB said:
Thanks Ladies....I saw the Jibere at a CVS near my school, when i thought of it and went back to buy it, there were no more :(, I gotta keep looking!

You should try Sally's if you're near one. That's where I bought mine.

I found Apple Cider vinegar works wonders after shower detangler and also AFRO DETANGLER FROM GROAFRO HAIR LONG WEBsite. I also bought a shower comb and only wash in one direction and when conditioning pull hair gently with conditioner in hair before rinsing. :D

my hair doesn't tangle that much anymore. i guess it must be getting healthier (or maybe it's the length). anyways i usually use setting lotion after i apply leave-in conditioner. the setting lotion make wet hair a lot easier to comb through.

as for combs and brushes, i don't use brushes. the combs i do use are wide-tooth ones i got from walmart.

Last edited:
For me it is separating my hair in to for puffs and washing each section separately.

I also love curls ecstacy conditioner, which is a great detangler for me.

Even though Elucence MBC wasn't anywhere near moisturizing enough for my hair, it was a good detangler. Same with lustrasilk cholesterols (especially the aloe and herbal ones).

And keeping my ends in good condition minimizes tangles too.

Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo,Elucence MB conditioner and a Jibere shower comb detangles my like like nobody business every time.

LiLi said:

How many braids do you put in your hair?

for those looking for the jilbere vomb, conair makes a comb just like that.

detanglers for me:
Conditioner: KENRA MC
spray: pantene detangling spray. I hate pantene but that product is very impressive. I did return it cos im truely scared of their products cos of the silicones

Brushes: denman D3
combs: jilbere and K-cutter

Priestess said:
This is very interesting to me. But does the hair really get clean while in the braids? My waist length hair buddy over at BHM does this too. I don't quite understand though when you actually comb out the hair. Right now I comb under the shower stream with conditioner in my hair. And I always thought the tangles where already in my hair before I actually washed it, but do they actually set in while washing? :confused:

I am very intrigued about this technique though. I'm off to the Crown and Glory website to do some research on this... :sekret:

The hair gets clean (rub the scalp really well while lathering to clean the scalp) with this method. I comb my hair after rinsing out the conditioner. I have been doing this for several years and will never turn back. I can't use the Jilbere Shower comb because, while it does glide through the hair, it misses a lot of tangles and after a while you will end up with a HUGE knot of shedded hair that couldn't get through the initial knot that you will have no other choice but to cut out (this applies mainly to those, like myself, that relax once or twice/year or just get a TON of new growth every month).

As far as when the tangles come in to play; it could actually happen both ways. There were times (before I started braiding my hair) where I would comb through my hair making sure that I got out all the tangles and shedded hair; I still had tangles after rinsing out the conditioner (that is with washing in the shower and not roughing up the hair).

Try it ... :)

*ElleB said:
How many braids do you put in your hair?

I would put 10 big braids when I had all of my hair out, Now that I follow the c'n'g method (my version), I do four braids in the crown area.

I know it sounds like a lot but it really isn't when you are eliminating all that extra time spent trying to get serious tangles out.

LiLi said:
The hair gets clean (rub the scalp really well while lathering to clean the scalp) with this method. I comb my hair after rinsing out the conditioner. I have been doing this for several years and will never turn back. I can't use the Jilbere Shower comb because, while it does glide through the hair, it misses a lot of tangles and after a while you will end up with a HUGE knot of shedded hair that couldn't get through the initial knot that you will have no other choice but to cut out (this applies mainly to those, like myself, that relax once or twice/year or just get a TON of new growth every month).

As far as when the tangles come in to play; it could actually happen both ways. There were times (before I started braiding my hair) where I would comb through my hair making sure that I got out all the tangles and shedded hair; I still had tangles after rinsing out the conditioner (that is with washing in the shower and not roughing up the hair).

That is so true about the Jilbere. I realized that today. I love my Jilbere but I'm not so sure it's the best comb for my hair.

LiLi said:

Hi Lili, I tried this washing technique and loved it!! I put my hair in 6 braids and secured the ends with baby barrettes. Next time I might experiment with using only four braids, we'll see. You are right about the Jibere, a friend from BHM reccomended the Medco shower comb to me and I actually prefer that to Jibere. Thanks again for the wonderful advice and for being an inspiration to me in my hair care journey. ;)

Priestess said:
Hi Lili, I tried this washing technique and loved it!! I put my hair in 6 braids and secured the ends with baby barrettes. Next time I might experiment with using only four braids, we'll see. You are right about the Jibere, a friend from BHM reccomended the Medco shower comb to me and I actually prefer that to Jibere. Thanks again for the wonderful advice and for being an inspiration to me in my hair care journey. ;)

Yaaaay!!! I'm so glad that it worked for you!!! I'm a little worried about the barrettes though. I'm afraid that they may cause some sort stress to your ends (event though they are baby barrettes) and possibly breakage. If you don't think it is causing any stress then that's fine ... I'm just glad that you like the braiding technique -- it has saved me soooo much stress, knots, and time!!!

LiLi said:
Yaaaay!!! I'm so glad that it worked for you!!! I'm a little worried about the barrettes though. I'm afraid that they may cause some sort stress to your ends (event though they are baby barrettes) and possibly breakage. If you don't think it is causing any stress then that's fine ... I'm just glad that you like the braiding technique -- it has saved me soooo much stress, knots, and time!!!

Yeah, I used the baby barrettes and they seemed not to cause any problems. So you just braid your hair and it doesn't come undone or anything? I should try that next wash since it would definitely save me a step... :scratchch

Back