Clarifying Shampoos

kboogie007

Ok since it seems as everyone has everything down pat already so the posts are not coming in as heavy as they usually do let me just ask this question...

what is your all time favourite clarifying shampoo?
how often do you clarify?
how do you know when it's time to clarify?
and what do you follow up with....eg do you have to do something extra to moisturize because it makes your hair dry...or you do you follow with your regular washing regime?

Thanks guys

*I like Thermasilk clarifying shampoo
*I clarafy once every 4-6 weels.
*Or when my hair misbehaves
*I follow with Therappe, and CON detangling

EQP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo (for clarifying scalp) and Africa's Best Kid's Organics Conditioning Shampoo (for gently clarifying hair)

As needed

If my hair starts to feel "gummy" or "tacky" and doesn't hold moisture or style properly, I know it's time to clarify my hair. If I notice any flakes or feel like my scalp is itching/sore, I know it's time to clarify my scalp.

and what do you follow up with....eg do you have to do something extra to moisturize because it makes your hair dry...or you do you follow with your regular washing regime?
Both of my clarifiers are pretty gentle, so I usually don't have to use a moisturizing shampoo after. I just condition with St. Ive's Hair Repair Intense Moisture Conditioner or Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm.

miracle said:
EQP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo (for clarifying scalp) and Africa's Best Kid's Organics Conditioning Shampoo (for gently clarifying hair)

As needed

If my hair starts to feel "gummy" or "tacky" and doesn't hold moisture or style properly, I know it's time to clarify my hair. If I notice any flakes or feel like my scalp is itching/sore, I know it's time to clarify my scalp.

Both of my clarifiers are pretty gentle, so I usually don't have to use a moisturizing shampoo after. I just condition with St. Ive's Hair Repair Intense Moisture Conditioner or Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm.

Ditto on her reponses except I use Suave Daily Clarifier. Its only 99cents and works like a charm!! I follow it up with Suave Humectant conditioner. I am 8 weeks post relaxer and combing through it is NOT a problem:grin:

Last edited:
Pantene Clarifying Shampoo. All the others I have tried have been way too strong and have caused scalp irritation. The Pantene works fine, and it smells good, too.

Probably every two months or so.

When my shampoo just doesn't seem to be working as well as it should.

I follow with my Kenra moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I just use the clarifier as a first shampoo, and then use my other stuff as usual.

Currently, my favorite is Fantasia IC 100% Pure Tea Shampoo.

I clarify as often as need (sometimes weekly) because I use a lot of cones.

I follow up with a good conditioner or rinse.

This shampoo leaves my hair squeaky clean (which I LOVE).

I see alot of people are using it for at least once a month of every other month. Is it bad to use it on a weekly basis?? I bought the Elucence clarifying shampoo and after I washed it out it made my hair feel very dry and stuff. Im not sure if it was suppose to do that since I had never used a clarifying shampoo before. I alsofollowed up with a moist. poo/con

I use suave daily clarifying. It's cheap and gets the job done.

Once a month

I do it on schedule, but I guess when you notice that your scalp has build up or your hair is limp and doesn't respond to products like it normally does you need to clarify it.

After clarifying I do my monthly keratin protein treatment, follow up with a deep conditioning and use porosity control after that. It does leave my hair harder to detangle (because of the clarifying, protein treatment and heating cap), but not dry.

Right now I'm using Suave (Rusk knockoff) and Pantene.

I always follow with a moisturizing poo and then the rest of my regimen.

I clarify maybe every two weeks, or when I do a heavy protein treatment. It doesn't really dry my hair out. Next time, I'm gonna try the C-COW-C method (mix the clarifying poo with conditioner and water) to see if that works. HTH!

V05 Kiwi & Lime (diluted) or Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 castile soap (diluted)

once a month

I just shampoo once a month regardless

I deep condition- because my hair gets really dry after shampooing

I've been using Herbal Essences Clarifiying Shampoo. I'm almost done with the bottle so I'd like to try something new (so any suggestions welcome) :)

I generally clarify once a month or whenever my hair feels "gummy or tacky" as nicki6 said.

Clarifying shampoo makes my hair feel very "squeaky clean" which is very hard to style so I actually shampoo again with my moisturizing shampoo and follow with moisturizing conditioner. I prefer to let the conditoner sit for about 20 minutes and I'm good to go.

baglady215 said:
Right now I'm using Suave (Rusk knockoff) and Pantene.

I always follow with a moisturizing poo and then the rest of my regimen.

I clarify maybe every two weeks, or when I do a heavy protein treatment. It doesn't really dry my hair out. Next time, I'm gonna try the C-COW-C method (mix the clarifying poo with conditioner and water) to see if that works. HTH!

Baglady, let me know how this works for you, I'd like to try this as well. :yep:

For clarifying I just use apple cider vinegar. I use this once a month to remove build-up. BUt since I've been doing the COW method, my hair doesn't have as much build-up as before.

my favorite clarifier is uans chiaro clarifying shampoo. It's very gentle and gets the job done (clean hair). I use it when my hair feels like there is product build up. And I always make sure to lather just to make sure my hair is clean.

kboogie007 said:
Ok since it seems as everyone has everything down pat already so the posts are not coming in as heavy as they usually do let me just ask this question...

Thanks guys

1.) I like Nexxus Aloe Rid

2.) I usually clarify after I've been in braids for a while (6-8 weeks)

3.) I clarify either when I feel as though my hair products aren't working on my hair like they used to or I've been using a lot of products on my hair without washing it (when in braids)

4.) After I use my clarifying shampoo I follow up with a moiturizing shampoo and then I usually use a protein conditioner and follow that up with a moiturizing conditioner

I clarified my hair tonight ya'll with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and I could now believe how much gunk and oil I had in my hair when I just shampooed and conditioned last night! I followed with CON Detangling & Conditioning Shampoo, and Aussie Moist as the conditioner, and my hair is da bomb right now...very manageable. I loved it! I am going to clarify at least once every week!

Last edited:
I love Lanza Deep Cleansing Shampoo it really cleans your hair without stripping it.
I always use a clarifying shampoo before a hard core protein treatment and after a week of daily co washes.
I followp with a moisturizing shampoo like Elucence or Keracare.

I use Pantene Clarifying Shampoo every 4 weeks or as needed. I follow up with a moisturizing shampoo like CON, Kenra or Elucence. I want to try Kenra's clarifying shampoo as soon as my Pantene is finished because I heard it was less harsh.

Last edited:
1. I've been using Profectiv Clean N Healthy for my clarifier. It's nice and gentle and it leaves my hair smelling like cotton candy on top of it all.
2. I clarify as needed. Recently, it's been when I've experimented with something too heavy for my super gentle Aubrey shampoos.
3. My hair feeling especially gunky is usually the trigger. Or just if I'm itchy, this shampoo is great for that.
4. It's not harsh at all for me, so I don't do anything special afterwards. Just my usual conditioning (which is always deep conditioning lately).

Hey guys
Last night I clarified for the first time ever and my hair felt so much better when I followed up with my regular wash. I used the Suave daily clarifier since it was for 50 cent a bottle at Kmart...anyhoo my sis looked at the ingredients and said that it has all the chemicals that you guys declare as being bad for hair...Can someone please tell me she's wrong...please :crying3:

kboogie007 said:
Hey guys
Last night I clarified for the first time ever and my hair felt so much better when I followed up with my regular wash. I used the Suave daily clarifier since it was for 50 cent a bottle at Kmart...anyhoo my sis looked at the ingredients and said that it has all the chemicals that you guys declare as being bad for hair...Can someone please tell me she's wrong...please :crying3:

I bought the Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo from the BX for .95, so I will definitely check out K-mart for that .50 a bottle. But yes, the main cleanser is Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (ALS) which is a harsh cleanser, but its job is to clarify. So, ordinarily it would be bad for the hair (if used too often), but in the case of clarifying it makes the hair squeaky clean, whereas some moisturizing shampoos cleanse, but leave slight buildup. I clarify and follow with a moisturizing shampoo to keep my hair from being too dry. But, I love that Suave shampoo! I cannot believe it worked so well!

Well, I've never clarified :eek: So, maybe I should start. I've only been only the boards a few months so still learning things. I'm somewhat of a minimalist, so I think I'll try clarifying w/ ACV like someone else mentioned. Maybe I'll do it after my pre-poo and proceed with my C-COW-C.

beloved1 said:
Well, I've never clarified :eek: So, maybe I should start. I've only been only the boards a few months so still learning things. I'm somewhat of a minimalist, so I think I'll try clarifying w/ ACV like someone else mentioned. Maybe I'll do it after my pre-poo and proceed with my C-COW-C.

If you do try a shampoo, definitely try a gentle clarifying shampoo first. I learned the hard way ... the first one I tried was Bath and Body Works Bio Clarifying poo. It REALLY irritated my scalp, which is why I switched to using the Pantene Clarifying.

what is your all time favourite clarifying shampoo? suave clarifying. ive never tried any others though
how often do you clarify? when my hair starts misbehaving but ill start doing it every 2 weeks
how do you know when it's time to clarify? dry hair and ends. and it feels limp and lifeless
and what do you follow up with....eg do you have to do something extra to moisturize because it makes your hair dry...or you do you follow with your regular washing regime? i use the suave, follow uo with conditioner and always make sure i deep condition

what is your all time favourite clarifying shampoo? Redken Cleansing Cream
how often do you clarify? Once a week

how do you know when it's time to clarify? Conditioners aren't as effective and hair isn't as easy to comb after washing/conditioning

and what do you follow up with....eg do you have to do something extra to moisturize because it makes your hair dry...or you do you follow with your regular washing regime? I just use any regular conditioner (Nexxus, Redken All Soft, NTM, Paul Mitchell, Biolage, Garnier, Feria, Salerm, etc. - I'm a product junkie :grin: ). I love this product because it really feels like conditioner when you put it on and after leaving it on for 10 minutes (if I feel like I have extreme buildup) my hair feels sooooo clean and not matted and stripped. Also, I am 1 year and 4 months post-relaxer.

longhairgoal said:
If you do try a shampoo, definitely try a gentle clarifying shampoo first. I learned the hard way ... the first one I tried was Bath and Body Works Bio Clarifying poo. It REALLY irritated my scalp, which is why I switched to using the Pantene Clarifying.
Thanks for the suggestion.

what is your all time favourite clarifying shampoo? I just started clarifying based on the advice on this board and I chose Keracare 1st lather (i love keracare products)
I plan on doing it once a month
how do you know when it's time to clarify? When my shampoo doesn't have the same affect
and what do you follow up with....eg do you have to do something extra to moisturize because it makes your hair dry...or you do you follow with your regular washing regime? I use my same conditioning regime PM Supercharge, deep conditioning w/Salerm Wheat germ)

Back