Clarifying conditioner is this an oxymoron?

chocolatethai

hi ladies
its me again with another question :rolleyes:i caught the CVS sale on Vo5 conditioners and i got a couple clarifying ones i was wondering if i could use these in my daily cowashes, i would never think of using clarifying shampoo more than once a month so i was wondering if these would be safe i've never tried any of these but i'm excited at the concept so what do you ladies think?

I don't know but I got the same conditioner (it was 66 cent) because I enjoyed the smell. Let me know how it goes.

I think it's a great idea! I picked some up today. It may replace my expensive Wen. I mean, it is the same concept, just different ingredients. :grin:

hi ladies
its me again with another question :rolleyes:i caught the CVS sale on Vo5 conditioners and i got a couple clarifying ones i was wondering if i could use these in my daily cowashes, i would never think of using clarifying shampoo more than once a month so i was wondering if these would be safe i've never tried any of these but i'm excited at the concept so what do you ladies think?

hmmmm----so what are the ingredients? )or the first couple)---That would be a good idea because your getting to have clean hair, but moisturized at the same time and you dont have to worry about shampoo or claryfing shampoos, or as much.

So im wondering if its a conditoner that cleans like a shampoo/conditoner in one.....

If it has cleanisng ingrdients, then i would def. not do it because if thats the case seems like it would just be a moisturizing/gentle shampoo or something

I was just in the store looking at this. The bottle says that it "rinses clean." I think that's what makes it "clarifying," but I don't really know. I wanna know too...

i need to know this too, i bought a bottle a while back and haven't used it yet....i think i might have read somewhere that it was oil free which means that it won't weigh the hair down or something like that..i need to go dig in my pj box and read them ingredients...

i got the kiwi lime one and the bottle says "clarifying formula with rosemary and lemongrass extract rinses clean" and "conditions without build up , safe for all hair types" the first few ingredients are water, cetyl alcohol, centrimonium chloride, stearalkonium chloride, stearyl alcohol, etc. not sure what to make of this but i've deceided to just be a guinea pea and try it out i was thinking i might just use it like i would shampoo so when i condition wash i'll apply it to my hair lather then rinse it out and then apply one of the moisturizing VO5's that i also bought:grin: for the rest of the shower

i got the kiwi lime one and the bottle says "clarifying formula with rosemary and lemongrass extract rinses clean" and "conditions without build up , safe for all hair types" the first few ingredients are water, cetyl alcohol, centrimonium chloride, stearalkonium chloride, stearyl alcohol, etc. not sure what to make of this but i've deceided to just be a guinea pea and try it out i was thinking i might just use it like i would shampoo so when i condition wash i'll apply it to my hair lather then rinse it out and then apply one of the moisturizing VO5's that i also bought:grin: for the rest of the shower

Oh, so it doesnt sound like it doesnt have any harsh shampoo type ingredients....

Im wondering if you could use it like shampoo though because it doesnt have any actual cleansing ingredients, im thinking it just rinses away without any traces of the conditoner on your hair.....

Oh well, So it can either be like a gentle shampoo clarifyer like your about to try, or a daily cowash that elimates the need for clarifying/shampoo.

Post back your results!!!

i think i'm gonna do the same thing chocolatethai. i think i'm going to use the vanilla mint clarifying as a "gentle shampoo" then apply the honeydew moisture milk conditioner

hi ladies

Please update....And us know how it goes...I bought some of these too...Maybe I won't have to shampoo as often

I'm no expert but here's my guess.

Typically clarifying items have a higher pH.
It could be the citrus ingredients that allow this to qualify as clarifying.

I would think that it's not going to clarify the way a clarifying shampoo would but it will likely clarify more than other conditioners.

Again...just a guess. Where's gymfreak!?

i think its an oxymoron. my sister has some and i don't really like it and will never buy it. if you break stuff like that down...clarify conditioners....my hair instructor back in '03 used to say, don't buy pantene poo+co b/c you can't have them at the same time. and then she'd break it all down scientifically but basically if it suppose to clean it'll only clean, if it's suppose to condition it'll only condition. it's a gimmic an everybody has to have one in order to sell their product. it just has to be up to the consumer to "google" it. but i'd say if you like the way it makes ur hair feel...hey it's ur product...do what chu do

But here's the thing; for that particular one, there's a clarifying poo to go along with it so my line of thinking was that once you clarified w/the poo (or whatever one you prefer), you could use this cond w/o it putting back onto the hair what you just cleaned off...just a thought. I don't think it's intended to clarify all on it's own, more like a product to compliment the poo.

I bought some too. Two bottles of moisturizing and two clarifying conditioners. I would think the clarifying helps to remove buildup while conditioning at the same time.

I bought some too. Two bottles of moisturizing and two clarifying conditioners. I would think the clarifying helps to remove buildup while conditioning at the same time.

This is what I was thinking too! But I'm bumping this up just in case gymfreak might can shed some light on it.

i think its an oxymoron and its just called a clarifying condish because the shampoo is a clarifying shampoo. but idk. i didnt buy any, just the moisture milks

I think the clarifying conditioners are just slightly less moisturizing than the regular conditioners....

I think that if you have a regular co-wash routine and you want to get rid of buildup, it would probably be best to add baking soda to your regular conditioner or do a baking soda rinse....

I don't think using the clarifying conditioner alone would do any real clarifying, but the added baking soda to a regular conditioner will clarify and not strip your hair like a clarifying shampoo....

This is coming from someone who has not used it so I cannot say for sure, but looking at the ingredients, it does not seem neccessary to buy an additional conditioner labeled as "clarifying"....

I have the kiwi/lime one also. But what I've done was when I needed to clarify, I'd still use that particular one, but would add the baking soda to it also. I haven't had any problems doing it this way. I pretty much just use any of my Sunsilks, Suaves or V05s and add the baking soda if I need to clarify. Otherwise I just use 'em alone just for co-washing.

But I'm still wondering on this though, because if it was really clarifying our hair, I'd rather not use baking soda with it. Can be using my baking soda for my others that's not clarifying yanno.

I use the the Kiwi/Lime one. IME, it is mildly clarifying. I use it at least once a week (I CO wash errday/erryother day) either when my rinse conditioners are acting up (*read* I have build up) or before I DC. IME, it's not at clarifying as ACV, per say... but it seems to remove, or give the elusion of removing, some of the build up from my hair. I like it & it smells delish!

Back