Clarifying Conditioner for CoWash?

JudithO

Hey Ladies,

What do you use Clarifying conditioners for? It sounds like they will be perfect for cowashing since they remove excess oil, and clean the scalp? Any thoughts? Are they drying vs using a regular conditioner to cowash?

I'm looking at the following brands...

EO
Avalon Organics

Thoughts?

sipp100 said:
Yep, I sometimes use the VO5 Kiwi Lime. I'm pretty much no-poo, so I use that or an ACV rinse.

Same here. I use VO5 clarifying conditioner when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sipp100 Thanks... Can you compare that to a regular conditioner for cowash? It sounds like it will not be as harsh as shampoo (like Wen) but rinse out clean on the scalp and hair unlike some conditioners? Is it drying? Trying to see if I can minimize actual shampoo usage...

judy4all

ETA: I don't condition the first 4 or 5 inches of hair (near the scalp, so I don't know about how it affects the scalp flakiness/build-up)

It's not drying at all - seems like a regular conditioner, actually.

If you don't use lots of styling products, the clarifying conditioner should be perfect.

Keep us updated, okay?

Last edited:
I have the vo5 kiwi lime, but haven't used it in a long time...I remember someone here emailing vo5 asking if the conditioner actually clarified and I think they said it doesn't actually clarify, but it doesn't add any extra build up or something to that effect...I guess it rinses clean after use? If I find the post on it later, ill put it here.

:) I shall... Will try Wen vs One of the clarifying conditioners from wholefoods to compare....

@judy4all

ETA: I don't condition the first 4 or 5 inches of hair (near the scalp, so I don't know about how it affects the scalp flakiness/build-up)

It's not drying at all - seems like a regular conditioner, actually.

If you don't use lots of styling products, the clarifying conditioner should be perfect.

Keep us updated, okay?

judy4all

Have you tried HairOne - from Sally's? It was a less-expensive alternative and worked just as well, IMO. If you don't like it, at least you haven't wasted $30.

sipp100 I haven't.... Not a fan of some of the ingredients in order (Hexylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol)... So even tho it may work for my hair... trying to keep my products as "clean" as possible...

lol.... Being discriminating prevents me from being a PJ.... There are just not that many products in the world that fit into my criteria... lol

I avoid cones (except Amodimeticone which is water soluble), all parabens, DMDM, all glycols (except butylene glycol if it exists alone), all urea's, sulfates (except in my chelating poo), and I'm extremely weary of overly sweet fragrances... I also read reviews on EVERYTHING... 99.99% of products in BSS, and drug stores don't qualify.

Even though in my heart, I'm a PJ.... I have about 15 products in my entire stash... :)

when I need clarifying co-wash, I'll just mix baking soda in my cone-free condish. works just as well.

^Thanks... I'm so afraid of baking soda coming close to my hair... PH is much too much and it can be abrasive.... Any negative effects from using baking soda in your hair?

^Thanks... I'm so afraid of baking soda coming close to my hair... PH is much too much and it can be abrasive.... Any negative effects from using baking soda in your hair?
@judy4all: never. the hairs were sooo soft and retained growth. i used it every week followed by an ACV rinse. it did wonders for the scalp eczema. removed all the gunk. Then, i was putting it on straight as a paste mixed with water. it retains a style much better too.

I stopped using it for over a month when I put a semi-perm dye on my hair to cover greys this winter:sad:. the dye was a mistake and it started breaking. I stopped using baking soda fearing the higher pH would make the breakage worse. it's been almost 2 months and i'm back at the bs about once a week or every 2 weeks, just depending on how bad the buildup is. When my buildup is real bad, i skip the bs co-wash and make the paste and put it on straight. still no probs (now that the dye is gone).

Avalon Organics - I think that's the name, is one I've used in the recent past. I picked up the Lemon Clarifying one. I liked it a lot, though a little pricey for me to use as a cowash. My hair felt soft and clean, not stripped at all. I loved the scent and most of all the SHINE afterwards. I'm relaxed, lye btw. I've since fallen in love with another product for cowashes, but keep this one on hand.

^thanks for commenting.. im going to buy that one... the lemon avalon organics... it's a lil pricy but 8 can get 8oz online for less that $6... much much cheaper than wen... without the cones... lol..

+ i usually cowash once a week.... 2ce if necessary... so it shuldnt be too bad.

I really want this to work :)

Avalon Organics - I think that's the name, is one I've used in the recent past. I picked up the Lemon Clarifying one. I liked it a lot, though a little pricey for me to use as a cowash. My hair felt soft and clean, not stripped at all. I loved the scent and most of all the SHINE afterwards. I'm relaxed, lye btw. I've since fallen in love with another product for cowashes, but keep this one on hand.

What do u use for cowashes now?

I use Trader Joe's Tingle Treat Conditioner and this really seems to cleanse, refresh and clarify both my hair and scalp. It comes in a 16oz bottle and detangles my 4a hair like a breeze! It's a staple!

Love Always

I plan to only cowash until relaxer day, and the week after relaxer (no lye user, need to chelate)

Until then... my planned reggie is once or twice a week..... cowash, protein dc, and moisture dc.

Shampoo only if i have buildup... but i dont use any cones, or lots of product.. butters etc.. i should be okay.

What do u use for cowashes now?

Well, I was curious about Loreal EverCreme Cleansing conditioner. I tried it and love it. I like that my hair feels clean and conditioned, but not flyaway looking. I enjoy having super bouncy hair, but I also need a little "weight" to my strands because my hair is fine already. When my hair is swinging out of control, it tends to tangle much more and is prone to snap much easier. This EverCreme still gives me body, but I think my hair looks more substantial...if that makes any sense. My hair moves, but still holds a curl.

EverCreme cleansing conditioner has a semi thick consistency (pump bottle) and lathers to a foam. EverCreme also has a shampoo and conditioner in the line, but I don't fool with those at all.

I like to cowash, but found that I'd need to shampoo after about a week because my hair would look dull from buildup. Now, I don't feel the need to shampoo as often. So, this is my new cowash. I only shampoo (begrudgingly) when I need to DC or reconstruct.

The only thing I don't like about the EverCreme is the heavy, sweet-smelling scent. It wears off though.

The thing you may not like is that it's not all natural.....

I use Trader Joe's Tingle Treat Conditioner and this really seems to cleanse, refresh and clarify both my hair and scalp. It comes in a 16oz bottle and detangles my 4a hair like a breeze! It's a staple!

I am glad to read this on here. That conditioner acted like a shampoo on my hair and I was confused because everyone seems to rave about it. Well, now I know I am not crazy :lachen:.

I tried the Lemon Clarifying Condish... Not bad at all... Love the smell.... Was thicker/creamier than i anticipated.... I felt like it would be too heavy, but it rinsed pretty clean.... Will keep using it.. I'll try using the SSI Avocado to cowash next.... If I prefer the Lemon one, then I'll upgrade that to staple status :)

Back