Clarifying, Chelating, Acidifying - HELP!

I think the pH of an acv rinse depends on how much you dilute it. So I guess you have to buy strips to test which pH is right for you and how much water you should add b/c I know ladies here dilute it according to their preference. HTH

I have always read that you should use an Acidifying conditioner after every shampoo. eg. if you use a protein conditioner, then use moisturing conditioner but your last conditioner should always be an acidifying conditioner.

Then I also read that because these conditioner closes the cuticles if you continue to open and close the cuticle you are bending the strand and anything you keep bending will eventually break.

So, Now, I am confused.

aileendq said:
These are my thoughts:

Clarifying is for removing product buildup that regular shampoos miss.

Chelating is to remove mineral deposits in the hair shaft. Useful if you live in a hard water area.

Acidifying is for use after chemical services, particularly relaxers, as they are alkaline or "base". Normal hair ph is 4.5-5.5. You need to acidfy to bring the ph back where it's supposed to be after a relaxer.

Let me know if anyone disagrees, because I am far from being a chemist!

:)
I agree with you all the about the clarifying and chelating, although i have not heard about the acidfying until now. :perplexed I am ashamed because I am a hairstylist of 10 years :eek: . I clarify everytime for the first poo and the second i go back in with a hydrating or moisturizing poo (whatever you wanna call it). The chelating I do if i know someones been using no lye relaxers or if their hair just feels like ist has calcium build up.
Can Anyone give me some products for the Acidfying.. i feel so ashamed :perplexed

2qute said:
I agree with you all the about the clarifying and chelating, although i have not heard about the acidfying until now. :perplexed I am ashamed because I am a hairstylist of 10 years :eek: . I clarify everytime for the first poo and the second i go back in with a hydrating or moisturizing poo (whatever you wanna call it). The chelating I do if i know someones been using no lye relaxers or if their hair just feels like ist has calcium build up.
Can Anyone give me some products for the Acidfying.. i feel so ashamed :perplexed

Assure and Insure from Nexxus. They work great. Shampoo + conditioner

It's simpler if you break it down this way.

A clarifying shampoo will strip your hair of oils/products/dirt.

A chelating shampoo will do the same job as a clarifying shampoo, but will remove more mineral build-up than the typical clarifying shampoo.

An acidifying conditioner detangles, creates shine by making the cuticles close so that light can reflect off of them and helps to maintain the proper pH of hair (just like an avc rinse) It can be used whenever you want, but it i most useful after chemial services because the cuticles are most likely going to be raised.

Chelating and clarifying shampoos are similar. Chelating shampoos just have an extra kick in them to remover minerals. It's like a clarifying and a swimmers shampoo put into one bottle.

Back