Clarifying, Chelating, Acidifying - HELP!

MissYocairis

How often and when does one clarify, chelate and/or Acidify? Paritcularly, how often does one's hair need to be Chelated and also Acidified (using the Nexxus Ensure Acidifying poo)? :)

I am new to clarifying so I did some research on this a few months ago and found that it depends on the kinds and amount of product you use. Also It depends on the the water you use.

Hard water washes may find it better to use a shampoo that is a chelating formula. I actually saw a specific line for well water washes in Beauty First.

The Kenra clarifying shampoo also say chelating formula. I used the Cream of nature Clarifying and loved the results. When I did not use it the following week,my hair looked dull. The next day I followed my wash/conditioner routine again, but included the clarifying and saw a big difference.

So for me, it looks like a once a week deal. I do have hard water and I can smell the chlorine in it sometimes. I also use a leave in cream everyday so I am sure there is build up from that.

HoneyDew said:
The Kenra clarifying shampoo also say chelating formula. I used the Cream of nature Clarifying and loved the results. When I did not use it the following week,my hair looked dull. The next day I followed my wash/conditioner routine again, but included the clarifying and saw a big difference.

So for me, it looks like a once a week deal. I do have hard water and I can smell the chlorine in it sometimes. I also use a leave in cream everyday so I am sure there is build up from that.

See....clarifying and chelating for me seems very, very necessary and, yet, it scares me because my hair feels so stripped right after I rinse out the poo before I condition. I always feel that I am stripping out vital things and I get nervous. So, I've only been clarifying once a month and I have hard water but I am scurred to try the chelating. I cannot imagine clarifying once a week. My hair would be dehydrated like a whino. :look:

CantBeCopied said:
See....clarifying and chelating for me seems very, very necessary and, yet, it scares me because my hair feels so stripped right after I rinse out the poo before I condition. I always feel that I am stripping out vital things and I get nervous. So, I've only been clarifying once a month and I have hard water but I am scurred to try the chelating. I cannot imagine clarifying once a week. My hair would be dehydrated like a whino. :look:

I know what you mean. My hair did feel tangled after the wash, but I followed it with my Kenra Platinum reconstructer and it was all good.

But, I had NEVER clarified and I have been heavy with the product use in the past. I think (hope) I will not have to do it so often now that my hair is getting used to it and now that I have narrowed down the products I use. Right now most of my hair is weaved up, but after next weekend it will not be. I think I will do one good clarifying treatment on myhair and then just keep it down to once a month.

The CON Clarifying does say that it is gentle and does not strip, though. I am not sure about the Kenra one and I am afraid to try something that may be too harsh.

What do you use?

I clarifying every 4-6 weeks and acidify after every wash. I'm not sure what chelating is.

I use Nexxus Aloe Rid as my clarifying shampoo and Nexxus Ensure as my acidifying conditioner.

I clarify with Nexxus Aloe Rid or Redken Cleansing Cream about once a month.

It helps my conditioner work better. If I used serums or more products on my hair I'd clarify more often but lately all I use is a little Humectress as a leave in and avocado butter.

These are my thoughts:

Clarifying is for removing product buildup that regular shampoos miss.

Chelating is to remove mineral deposits in the hair shaft. Useful if you live in a hard water area.

Acidifying is for use after chemical services, particularly relaxers, as they are alkaline or "base". Normal hair ph is 4.5-5.5. You need to acidfy to bring the ph back where it's supposed to be after a relaxer.

Let me know if anyone disagrees, because I am far from being a chemist!

:)

aileendq said:
These are my thoughts:

Chelating is to remove mineral deposits in the hair shaft. Useful if you live in a hard water area.

Acidifying is for use after chemical services, particularly relaxers, as they are alkaline or "base". Normal hair ph is 4.5-5.5. You need to acidfy to bring the ph back where it's supposed to be after a relaxer.

Good info. Thanks! Lord knows, I used to think they were all the same. :)

aileendq said:
These are my thoughts:

so are acidifying poos like neutralizing poos?

Thanks ladies, this is GREAT information. I want to know the same as the others.... is acidifying poo the same as or like a neutralizing poo?

I am not familier with acidifying poo, but u know i recently started mixing 2 dabs of neutralizing poo, mixed with my regular moisturizing poo. I do this for the first wash (a week after) after I had my relaxer.

secretdiamond said:

HoneyDew said:
What do you use?

I'm using the SUAVE clarifying (it's supposed to be comparable to Rusk). I like it, and it's fine after I condition, but I am just not used to feeling my hair so bare like that. I am really interested in the concept of the Chelating and the Acidifying poos but I am nervous about overusing these or using them at the wrong times. Just wanted to get a feel for when we clarify, when we chelate and when we acidify. :confused:

PrincessAvaya said:
I clarifying every 4-6 weeks and acidify after every wash. I'm not sure what chelating is.

I use Nexxus Aloe Rid as my clarifying shampoo and Nexxus Ensure as my acidifying conditioner.

Girl, Aloe Rid is a CHELATING poo! :D It takes the hard water deposits and bad minerals out of your hair! You been CHELATING all along and didn't know it! How do you like Aloe Rid? How about the Ensure? I am looking to get both this weekend. Now, do you acidify after every regular poo WASH?

HoneyDew said:
Good info. Thanks! Lord knows, I used to think they were all the same. :)

me too! Never actually thought that there was a difference between the three. See this is why I LOVE LHCF. Here I learn something new everyday! Thanks ladies!!!

Last edited:
Nita81 said:
Ummmm is Nioxin(for chemically treated hair) considered a clarifying shampoo???

Nita, I think you would have to go to the Nioxin website and pick out the particular Nioxon formula you are using and look at it's benefits....usually clarifying poos will SAY "clarifying" somewhere in the name and/or product description.

secretdiamond said:

See, SecretDiamond...I was always under the impression that neutralizing poos were NOT the same as acidifying or, at least, not as effective. If they were....many a Black woman's hair would be in much better shape than it is! Black relaxed hair has THE highest pH number of all treated hair. Check out what I found on Nexxus Site: www.nexxusproducts.com

To gain in-depth, clinical knowledge of hair chemistry one must first have knowledge of the pH scale and what it represents. The pH scale is a measure of value for potential hydrogen, for which there are two chemical extremes: acid or alkaline. The scale runs numerically from 0-14, with 7 serving as neutral. A measure of pH 0-6.9 is considered acid, while a measure of 7.1-14 is considered alkaline. As you move toward either extreme (acid toward 0, alkaline toward 14), the more caustic and stronger a substance will become. Substances which are acid have a positive electrical charge (+), while alkaline substances have a negative electrical charge (-).
[more]

In a normal, healthy state hair is positively charged and will be found in a pH range between 4.5-5.5. Therefore, we can state that hair, in its optimum state, is acidic. Hair which has a pH above 7 will become alkaline and hold a negative electrical charge. When this occurs, the hair will exhibit damage to varying degrees. Examples of how hair becomes alkaline:
Natural body chemistry
Inferior, alkaline-based products
Chemical solutions (perms, colours, bleaches, etc.)
Thermal styling appliances (blow dryers, curling irons, hot rollers)
When hair is in its proper pH range (4.5-5.5), the cuticle is compact and constricted. This serves to protect the cortex, impart sheen, align the bonding (optimum configuration for strength and elasticity) and positively charge the hair in preparation for chemical services. In the event the hair is in an alkaline state (above pH 7), the cuticle is raised (tangles, dullness), the cortex is exposed (dryness, damage), and the hair will not readily or evenly accept chemical services.
[more]

The proper pH can be attained or maintained by using a low pH product (usually 3.0-3.5; substances below 2.0 are considered caustic). This will reduce alkaline levels and allow the hair to assume a proper pH (4.5-5.5). This process is called acidification, and it is the first and most vital factor in hair chemistry and hair care. Important factors to remember:
All chemical service solutions are alkaline.
Distilled water is pH 7.0 (neutral).
[more]

secretdiamond said:
Thanks for the info CBC. I have another question. I thought Porosit Control was used to bring the ph level back??

Now see SecretDiamond, I don't know. I have CON Porosity Corrector and Conditioner and it says the following on the bottle: "Porosity Corrector and Conditionaer Equalizes porosity before and after chemical services. Specially developed for the salon professional to help create more even color, perm and relaxer results. Helps protect hair from relaxer, perm or tint damage. Can be used as an all purpose conditioner. Hair looks lustrous, feels beautifully manageable."

That does sound a bit like the acidifying usage with the exception that it doesn't directly mention that it balances the hair's pH following chemical services. I would think that would be a factor they would not want to leave out if it was true of the Porosity control. Or, maybe it's just that the CON porosity corrector isn't pH balancing but others are. ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS?

CantBeCopied said:
Thanks Tishee. Now, that site (Joico) says 1-2 times per week! :eek: I wonder if that would translate into once every other week for 3c/4a/4b hair? :confused: Have you tried the Joico yet?

no problem cantbecopied! I haven't tried the Joico yet. Your post made me interested in it though. I have yet to clarify my hair *hangs head in shame* but I will def. start. Just until recently I was natural and failed to take care of my hair. I finally decided to start when I got my relaxer a month ago.

aileendq said:
These are my thoughts:

would this be the same as using apple cider vinegar???? I know that may sound stupid, but i am clueless when it come to this technique since I always just use the neutralizing shampoo..... :perplexed

CantBeCopied said:
Now see SecretDiamond, I don't know. I have CON Porosity Corrector and Conditioner and it says the following on the bottle: "Porosity Corrector and Conditionaer Equalizes porosity before and after chemical services. Specially developed for the salon professional to help create more even color, perm and relaxer results. Helps protect hair from relaxer, perm or tint damage. Can be used as an all purpose conditioner. Hair looks lustrous, feels beautifully manageable."

That does sound a bit like the acidifying usage with the exception that it doesn't directly mention that it balances the hair's pH following chemical services. I would think that would be a factor they would not want to leave out if it was true of the Porosity control. Or, maybe it's just that the CON porosity corrector isn't pH balancing but others are. ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS?

I asked b/c on the bottle it says that the ph is 4.5. I have the revlon one.

CantBeCopied said:
Girl, Aloe Rid is a CHELATING poo! :D It takes the hard water deposits and bad minerals out of your hair! You been CHELATING all along and didn't know it! How do you like Aloe Rid? How about the Ensure? I am looking to get both this weekend. Now, do you acidify after every regular poo WASH?

Oh! :lol: I like the Aloe Rid very much. It is gentle and does a really good job of cleaning my scalp. I usually use it after coming out of braids and/or before using my heavy duty proteins (joico and emergencee). I usually just concentrate on my scalp and let the suds run down my hair while rinseing to clean my hair. My hair never feels striped.

I like the Enusre too. I use it as a final rinse for 3 minutes per the instructions on the bottle after each wash. I think it does a decent job of detangling my hair. It smells like grapefruit but the smell doesn't linger so its fine.

During my last shopping trip I forgot to pick up another bottle as I have run out; so back to Ulta I go....:)

I'm looking for an acidifying shampoo. Any recommendations ladies?

CORRECTION: My friend uses Nexxus ENSURE after a wash and then her regular conditioner. I think she does it a couple of weeks after salon services. She is not relaxed but she colors her hair.

secretdiamond said:
I asked b/c on the bottle it says that the ph is 4.5. I have the revlon one.

That's a very good question. I'd like to know the answer to this myself. Anyone out there know? SecretDiamond asked if the Porosity Correctors are the same as Acidifying poos? SD's got Revlon and it has a 4.5 pH. C'mon LHCF scientists....help us out here.

PrincessAvaya said:
Oh! :lol: I like the Aloe Rid very much. It is gentle and does a really good job of cleaning my scalp. I usually use it after coming out of braids and/or before using my heavy duty proteins (joico and emergencee). I usually just concentrate on my scalp and let the suds run down my hair while rinseing to clean my hair. My hair never feels striped.

I like the Enusre too. I use it as a final rinse for 3 minutes per the instructions on the bottle after each wash. I think it does a decent job of detangling my hair. It smells like grapefruit but the smell doesn't linger so its fine.

I'm looking for an acidifying shampoo. Any recommendations ladies?

Oh PA, so the Ensure is a rinse? I don't know WHY I had it in my mind that it was a poo. Well, I like your regimen. I am going to try both the Aloe Rid and Ensure based on your recommendation. THANKS! ;)

Back