Clairol Natural Instincts....Semi Perm. hair color???

Aquamarine

Hi there!
I tried this product in Midnight (black) while I was texturized last month, thinking that it would wash out after a month as the box mentioned. If this is a semi permanent color, it sure doesn't act like it! I liked the fact that it said that it's gentle, not permanent, no amonia, blah blah.....

I knew that this color was here to stay when I applied a corrective texturizer over it and it didn't budge! I was expecting the color to melt/fade away under the relaxer, but it didn't. My hair stayed jet black.

One day, I might want to add some blonde highlites to blend away the sprinkling of silver that I have, so I thought that this would be a great color with no commitment.

This is a great product if you want a long term jet black color.
This is NOT a great product if you want to change your color ever so often.

Can anyone recommend a black or dark brown color rinse that will wash away after a month or so and isn't very messy? I know that's a lot to ask of a rinse, but (for now) I'm trying to be gentle with my new natural hair. My natural color is an off black, dark brownish color.

***maybe I just didn't know the definition of semi-permanent hair color***:ohwell:

1779061.jpg

http://www.walgreen.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100846&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku849687&id=prod849701

All the semi perm colors I've used are a little on the messy side including the Colorshines by Sebastian. I love Natural Instincts and think it works great for relaxed hair. I agree that it lasts alot longer than a month. I thought the box said it washes out in 28 shampoos.

What do you mean messy?? I bought some of this last week but havent used it yet but it does say semi-permanent.

Oh Sky blu, this color isn't messy at all :). It's just that it seems to be more of a permanent color, while I was looking for something less permanent.

When I say less messy, I meant that I'm looking for recommendations of rinses that aren't drippy....cuz I know rinses in the past have been very water and drippy. Maybe there's something new out.

A good example of a messy/drippy rince was Dark and Lovey Reviving Colors. I used to use that back during my relaxed days and it was very watery and it stained my fingers every time I washed my hair until it was faded :ohwell:.

I might not give up on the Natural Instincts, but I might look at the other shades that are offered.

OK I know the box have directions but how exactly do you put it on?? And did you do a strand/allergy test?? Im doing the allergy test because Im not trying to have my face swole and my inner elbow (where they said to put it) is a nice plum color like a bruise or something. Im pretty sure Im not allergic though.

How did I put it on? It was so easy. I poured the color into the developer bottle and shook it till it turned the right color (dark, in my case). then I lightly misted my previously shampooed hair with plain water. I think the package said not to put it on right after a shampoo. It's best to wait a few hours as to not disturb your scalp.

Next, I started applying the color from the applicator bottle in the spots that needed it most, then eventually, covered my whole head (with gloves on of course). I put on a plastic processing cap and an old headband to make sure it didn't drip. It didn't drip, but I wanted to be on the safe side. I didn't sit under a dryer or anything.

I surfed the net or watched tv for about 30 minutes. Then I rinsed till the water ran clear after 'shampooing' the color in with my fingers (gloves still on of course).

Voila.....colored hair!:) I liked it so much, that I bought another box in Blackberry......unfortunatly, the Midnight black never seemed to rinse out, so I wound up chopping it all off along with the texturizer. Now I'm gonna start fresh, once I get more length.

It's color that lasts and lasts and lasts....:lol:

ps...forgot to say that no, I didn't do an allergy/strand test. The only color thats ever made my scalp 'tingle' was a Dark and Lovely permanent light golden brown. That's the lightest I've ever gone. It almost felt like a relaxer in spots! Thumbs down to that one.

Last edited:
Aquamarine said:
I tried this product in Midnight (black) while I was texturized last month, thinking that it would wash out after a month as the box mentioned. If this is a semi permanent color, it sure doesn't act like it! I liked the fact that it said that it's gentle, not permanent, no amonia, blah blah.....

I knew that this color was here to stay when I applied a corrective texturizer over it and it didn't budge! I was expecting the color to melt/fade away under the relaxer, but it didn't. My hair stayed jet black.

One day, I might want to add some blonde highlites to blend away the sprinkling of silver that I have, so I thought that this would be a great color with no commitment.

This is a great product if you want a long term jet black color.
This is NOT a great product if you want to change your color ever so often.

Can anyone recommend a black or dark brown color rinse that will wash away after a month or so and isn't very messy? I know that's a lot to ask of a rinse, but (for now) I'm trying to be gentle with my new natural hair. My natural color is an off black, dark brownish color.

***maybe I just didn't know the definition of semi-permanent hair color***:ohwell:

1779061.jpg

http://www.walgreen.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100846&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku849687&id=prod849701

Hi Aquamarine,

This is the exact product that I've been using for about 4 years and I love it!! At first I didnt set out to have permanent jet black hair,I just wanted to try it but after 6 months it wouldnt wash out so I contacted the company and the lady told me that jet black will not rinse out,it is permanent. Weird huh? it should say permanent on the box,not semi-permanent. Anyway I love jet black hair so it wasnt a problem for me but my question to you is how do you plan to color your hair with the black in it? From what I understand nothing will color over the jet black except bleaching it and then coloring it or going to a hairdresser to get the color stripped. I dont know I could be wrong but thats what I was told.

TeeTee2

Hi Tee Tee2. The answer to that is simple. I cut all of my texturized hair and color off last weekend :D, so I'm starting from scratch. (check out my little album for a few pics)

Meanwhile, I've been thinking that having black hair isn't that bad. I'm begining to think that it looks best on me. Now that I'm natural (again), black hair should reflect more light and look glossier when i wear twists and twistouts, etc. Plus it matches my eyebrows.

But you know how it is........we get bored with our color and want to change, then we're not satisfied or get bored with the new color, and go back to what we had, etc, etc. So what I was going to do, since my silver hairs are an issue for me (hey I'm ONLY 32:p ), was look for a black RINSE , such as Adore or Clairol Beautiful Collection brands. The both have zero peroxide and zero amonia. The downside is that they wash out TOO fast. Sigh.

***I was actually going to buy some more of the CNI Midnight today, but then I woke up and read your post! Thank you for investigating it. I KNEW that this color was more than a semi-permenant color. It was holding on TOO well lol. I agree that they should definatly put that on the box or add it to their permanent color line.***

I'm still deciding what to use. My natural hair color is dark off black/brownish, but it looks black because it's so short now.

Oh, btw, If you DO have a permanent color/rinse on your hair, you will have go to Sallys and buy one of their color lifters. I can't think of any names right now, but I did a search on this board and found a few suggestions. Seems like lifting a color would be a bit damaging however.

Follow Up:

So I put the color in Thursday and it was pretty easy. I thought I would need another box because my head was too big lol. But it was more than enough I even had some left over. The only con I could say about this was that it rubs off everywhere and I have had red hands (I used Egyptian Plum) since Thursday. This could be a common problem with all color but since this was my first time I didnt now. My hair is black with dark brown hints here and there from relaxing so the color didnt show straight up like on the box but you can see it in the sunlight. Also after I hung out in the sun for awhile the color seem to show more but its not real noticeable. If youve used the product did you experience the color rubbing off on everything?? if so how long did it take for you could wear your good shirts again??

Well, I've only used the Midnight and I really had no problem with stains. It stayed put. After I rinsed my hair the first time, not even a hint of a stain on a white towel.

Interesting enough, I have an unopened box of Egyptian Plum that I was going to use when the Midnight wore off......but, as I've learned, it's not designed to wear off (wich conflicts with the semi-permanent label on the box)....so I never got to try it. :ohwell:
Anyway, the color might start to show up better after a day or two. When I was relaxed, I had a Dark and Lovely fuchia rinse applied at a salon and I didn't notice it until I was outside in the sunlight. It looked like a pink halo. After a few days, it was much more noticable. I guess the dirtier the hair was, the better the rinse showed up :ohwell:. When I SHAMPOOED my hair, the fuschia rinse was all TOO obvious....because it would turn my hands and fingers hot pink until it eventually washed away.

I agree that Natural Instincts acts like a permanent color without the damage. I've used it for years. The reason this stuff lasts longer is because it contains peroxide. If you'd like semi-permanent color that rashes out faster, I'd suggest using something that doesn't have peroxide.

Personally, I love Natural Instincts. :) It really makes my naturally black hair look brown, without all the damaging effects of the ammonia in permanent color. The color lasts a long time, too. I wanted to try Clairol's Textures & Tones permanent color, but after reading LondonDiva's nightmare with that product I'll stick to the semi-permanent stuff.

Aquamarine said:
Hi Tee Tee2. The answer to that is simple. I cut all of my texturized hair and color off last weekend :D, so I'm starting from scratch. (check out my little album for a few pics)

Meanwhile, I've been thinking that having black hair isn't that bad. I'm begining to think that it looks best on me. Now that I'm natural (again), black hair should reflect more light and look glossier when i wear twists and twistouts, etc. Plus it matches my eyebrows.

But you know how it is........we get bored with our color and want to change, then we're not satisfied or get bored with the new color, and go back to what we had, etc, etc. So what I was going to do, since my silver hairs are an issue for me (hey I'm ONLY 32:p ), was look for a black RINSE , such as Adore or Clairol Beautiful Collection brands. The both have zero peroxide and zero amonia. The downside is that they wash out TOO fast. Sigh.

***I was actually going to buy some more of the CNI Midnight today, but then I woke up and read your post! Thank you for investigating it. I KNEW that this color was more than a semi-permenant color. It was holding on TOO well lol. I agree that they should definatly put that on the box or add it to their permanent color line.***

I'm still deciding what to use. My natural hair color is dark off black/brownish, but it looks black because it's so short now.

Oh, btw, If you DO have a permanent color/rinse on your hair, you will have go to Sallys and buy one of their color lifters. I can't think of any names right now, but I did a search on this board and found a few suggestions. Seems like lifting a color would be a bit damaging however.

Hi Aquamarine,

I think you would look great with jetblack hair (saw your pics). I always thought jetblack hair was sexy. At least thats what the guys say :-) also thanks for the tip on lifting the color. I'll keep that in mind if I ever want to change but the way I see it now I'll probably stay with the black.

p.s.- I love your Bettie Page pic. Thats my girl!!!

TeeTee2

Kitkat said:
I agree that Natural Instincts acts like a permanent color without the damage. I've used it for years. The reason this stuff lasts longer is because it contains peroxide. If you'd like semi-permanent color that rashes out faster, I'd suggest using something that doesn't have peroxide.

Personally, I love Natural Instincts. :) It really makes my naturally black hair look brown, without all the damaging effects of the ammonia in permanent color. The color lasts a long time, too. I wanted to try Clairol's Textures & Tones permanent color, but after reading LondonDiva's nightmare with that product I'll stick to the semi-permanent stuff.

So ammonia is not damaging to hair? I currently have brown, relaxed hair and I so desperately want to dye it black but I don't want to use permanent color. I had my stylist do a black rinse on my hair (the one that comes in the bronze colored bottle with the black applicator tip) but she did a bad job, it barely took at all. This Clairol Natural Instincts stuff sounds like the answer to my dilemma.

Aquamarine, did the color make your hair feel dry and brittle and frizzy (I see that alot with women with colored hair)?

PrincessAvaya said:
Aquamarine, did the color make your hair feel dry and brittle and frizzy (I see that alot with women with colored hair)?

Hi there PrincessAvaya. No, the CNI was very gentle....and I was texturized at the time. I think the darker colors aren't as likely to make your hair fill frizzy and brittle as the light brown to blonde range would. Simply put, they strip too much of the hairs natural pigment away, thus requiring extra deep conditioning.

update......still growing my hair back lol. I just bought some Adore in 'plum brown'. I had a Clairol Beautiful Collection rinse in 'dark brown' for the last month after my big chop. It worked pretty well and held on just long enough. This weekend, I'm gonna apply the Adore. Right now, i'm experimenting with semi permanent rinses with no amonia or peroxide. After my experimental phase, I'll probably go back to the Clairol Natural Instincts line because I might get tired of applying color rinses every month. We'll see.

sort of a bump with a question to add...

Can Clairol Natural Instinct be used on the same day that a relaxer is applied or must one wait some time? 1 week? 2 weeks?

I'm finally going to color my hair (jet black baby!) but I also need a touch up (6 months post baby!)!

I've been using CNI for years now. I've always loved having black hair, and I loved the fact that the black color ended up being permanent. But lately, since I've been DC my hair with oils and other conditioners, it seems like the color is fading a bit.:( I guess it's because the longer my hair gets, the longer I've had the hair closer to my ends; and that's where it's starting to fade. I want so bad to color it again with the semi-permanent color but I'm afraid I might damage my hair. Has anyone used the semi-permanent color over the same hair without experiencing damage?

Back