Chunkier more separated curls

NidiaSophia

Hey beautiful ladies!!

I just tried wearing my hair natural for the first time (texturized actually). It basically looks like a science experiment right now! I see curls in my hair (small waves actually) but I was wondering what I can do to get the curls a bit more chunkier? Right now my hair kind of looks like Micheal Jackson's hair in his jheri curl days. After I wash I see the curls forming but are very separated and a bit frizzy. What should I do at this point so they can be less separated?

Maybe the problem was in my technique. Should I be using a brush in the shower or a certain type of comb? Should I braid? Twist?

Please help! (see pic below taken with camera phone)

lhc.jpg

Shelly

Last edited:
Moisturize your hair and put your hair in flat-twists, cornrows, or single twists/braids over night. Your ends look straighter than the rest of your hair so you may wanna put rollers or perm rods on the ends. In the morning, unravel your hair, moisturize, and shake your hair. Your curls/waves should be more separated. HTH!

My Denman brush helps to clump my curls really good, it makes big ringlets. Also you can use some gel and twirl individual pieces around your finger to help it clump.

If you are looking for results after washing and going, you may need to see the thread entitled curve salon silkener secrets. It may not help you right this moment...but longer term as you grow you hair out. Then, depending on your hair type, you may get the curls you seek by washing and going.

DelightfulFlame said:
If you are looking for results after washing and going, you may need to see the thread entitled curve salon silkener secrets. It may not help you right this moment...but longer term as you grow you hair out. Then, depending on your hair type, you may get the curls you seek by washing and going.

Off-topic: your hair in your avatar looks wonderful! :)

On-topic: IA with Pokahontas--try to brush your hair when it's wet and full of conditioner with a Denman brush--it clumps my coils together.

Also, try to shake your hair upside down after your wash/conditioner wash (shampoos strip my coils and make them frizzy/wavy, so I generally CW) because that helps the curls define better for me (for others, scrunching the hair works better).

Yup, if you brush your hair with a paddle brush (or similar) while it's wet, it will make your curls clump. Just don't brush or comb it while it's drying. In fact, try not to touch it at all.

I haven't done "wet brushing" in a long time. But I remember that it makes my hair shrink up like nothing else because the hair clumps together and then bounces up short together, too. Kinda hard to explain. It also, oddly enough, took some of the curl right out of a section of my hair and turned it into waves. YMMV.

Anyway, be very gently with the brush and make sure it's a good one. Denman, etc.

what works for me is using a thick conditioner like tropical avocado or something else thick. leave a bit of it in, lightly wet hair again with hands--splashing the water on your hair, then put some moisturizing gel with some leave-in, wet a little bit more if you'd like and then shake your head like a dog:) back and forth and up and down. usually with that, i get plumper curls.

hth

I agree. I use either moisturiing conditioner by Ashea or curly custard by jessicurl. I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb, then a finer tooth comb. Next I stand under the shower and shanke my hair through the water. I find ths method gives me the most defined curls. Hope this helps.

Tracy

Thank you everyone for your feedback it really helps, you have no idea. I guess alot of trial and error will reveal a system that works well for me.

Thanks again :)

Shelly

Back