Christians and profanity

Do you think Chrisitians using profanity is wrong?

• yes

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • it depends (please explain)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

sweetkita4

I always thought it was wrong for Christians to use profanity and decided to try and look it up in the bible one day and couldn't find anything about it. I asked a couple of people that said it was wrong but couldn't really point in the direction to see for myself. It was always a "that's what i was always taught" kind of answer. What do you guys think about Chrisitians and profanity? If you don't believe in it, could you point me to scripture that shows why? If you think there's nothing wrong with profanity, then could you say why?

Psalm 34:13 "Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile."

1 Peter 3:10 "For whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." (NIV)

Matthew 15:10-11 "Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' (NIV)

James 3:9-11 "9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring?" (NIV)

Psalm 34:13 "Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile."

1 Peter 3:10 "For whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech." (NIV)

Matthew 15:10-11 "Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' (NIV)

James 3:9-11 "9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring?" (NIV)

I'm trying to see the correlation between those scriptures and using profanity. What if the person doesn't see those as "evil" words or they aren't used maliciously towards another person?

I'm trying to see the correlation between those scriptures and using profanity. What if the person doesn't see those as "evil" words or they aren't used maliciously towards another person?

Well, if we want to take a linguistic look at this topic, we need to consider two things: 1) origin/meaning of the word, and 2) intent.

1. What does --insert profane word-- mean? Is the meaning of the word that you would want to inflict or put upon another?

2. What is your intent for using the word? Is it to help or harm? Is it to uplift or tear down?

Consider the B-word. It seems that in recent years, people, esp. some young girls, will use this word as a term of endearment toward their friends. The dictionary definition of the B-word is "the female of the dog or some other carnivorous mammals; a lewd or immoral woman; a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman -- sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse; something that is extremely difficult, objectionable, or unpleasant.

Even if not used in a "malicious" way, is referring to someone this way helpful? Uplifting? I say not. Please re-read James 3:9-12:

7-10This is scary: You can tame a tiger, but you can't tame a tongue—it's never been done. The tongue runs wild, a wanton killer. With our tongues we bless God our Father; with the same tongues we curse the very men and women he made in his image. Curses and blessings out of the same mouth!

10-12My friends, this can't go on. A spring doesn't gush fresh water one day and brackish the next, does it? Apple trees don't bear strawberries, do they? Raspberry bushes don't bear apples, do they? You're not going to dip into a polluted mud hole and get a cup of clear, cool water, are you? (The Message)
With that said, the choice to use profanity can be directly linked to one's heart, personal behavior, and conduct toward others. Those words cannot be used in a non-malicious manner. I also believe that one cannot change the meaning of a word that one did not originate, including those profanities and the N-word.

This is common sense to me. Why on earth would a Christian desire to curse? Out of the ABUNDANCE of the heart the mouth speaks.

Romans 3:

10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
15Their feet are swift to shed blood:
16Destruction and misery are in their ways:
17And the way of peace have they not known: 18There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Again, why would a Christian want to curse???:perplexed Ok, let me ask this then...if Jesus was (by the way He IS) right beside you, would you curse? Then don't try to get over just because He's not visible to you in fleshly form. God is not mocked.:nono:

I need to stop and I'm working on it, but it is hard when you are trying to stop something and you live with someone or be around someone that uses that type of language all of the time. I just have to be strong though. Please pray for me to have control over my own mouth. I remember when I stop for a long time, but it just came back up when I really wasn't in the word like before and when I started hanging around people who talked like that all the time. Now when I curse , I don't even sound right, like I could have used a better choice of words.

Oops, I accidently hit No when voting, I saw the title Christian and profanity and NO was stuck in my mind.

For the record it should be 11 yes votes.

This is common sense to me. Why on earth would a Christian desire to curse? Out of the ABUNDANCE of the heart the mouth speaks.

Romans 3:

10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
15Their feet are swift to shed blood:
16Destruction and misery are in their ways:
17And the way of peace have they not known: 18There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Again, why would a Christian want to curse???:perplexed Ok, let me ask this then...if Jesus was (by the way He IS) right beside you, would you curse? Then don't try to get over just because He's not visible to you in fleshly form. God is not mocked.:nono:

Who is to say that someone wouldn't and wouldn't be phased by that. Not saying that I think profanity is right or wrong, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it. How do you define profanity as a curse word for yourself? Is it because it is in the dictionary? That would mean that that is man's definition of the word right? Man has changed the definition of many words and changed their views on many different concepts over the past hundreds and thousands of years. Shouldn't we live by the book and not by the world?
curse
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/kɜrs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kurs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, cursed or curst, curs·ing.
–noun 1.the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc. 2.a formula or charm intended to cause such misfortune to another. 3.the act of reciting such a formula. 4.a profane oath; curse word. 5.an evil that has been invoked upon one. 6.the cause of evil, misfortune, or trouble. 7.something accursed. 8.Slang. the menstrual period; menstruation (usually prec. by the). 9.an ecclesiastical censure or anathema.
Someone could interpret those scriptures to not actually cursing someone the way people were cursed in the bible. Now THAT was some serious cursing, lol. I know people feel bad for cursing, is it because we have been taught that it is wrong? I know women that feel that they're doing something wrong when wearing pants because they've been taught not to.

Who is to say that someone wouldn't and wouldn't be phased by that. Not saying that I think profanity is right or wrong, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it. How do you define profanity as a curse word for yourself? Is it because it is in the dictionary? That would mean that that is man's definition of the word right? Man has changed the definition of many words and changed their views on many different concepts over the past hundreds and thousands of years. Shouldn't we live by the book and not by the world?
curse
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/kɜrs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kurs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, cursed or curst, curs·ing.
–noun 1.the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc. 2.a formula or charm intended to cause such misfortune to another. 3.the act of reciting such a formula. 4.a profane oath; curse word. 5.an evil that has been invoked upon one. 6.the cause of evil, misfortune, or trouble. 7.something accursed. 8.Slang. the menstrual period; menstruation (usually prec. by the). 9.an ecclesiastical censure or anathema.
Someone could interpret those scriptures to not actually cursing someone the way people were cursed in the bible. Now THAT was some serious cursing, lol. I know people feel bad for cursing, is it because we have been taught that it is wrong? I know women that feel that they're doing something wrong when wearing pants because they've been taught not to.

:rolleyes:You (me, we) have a conscience. If you're (I'm, we're) (a) Christian(s) you (I, we) have the Holy Ghost. You (I, we) can twist things any way you (I, we) want it and can find a "loophole" to continue cussing, but when you (I, we) stand before God you'll (I'll, we'll) be without excuse. You, I, we, can)Just keep on cussing if you (, we) feel it's "ok" but there's a way that seems right unto a man but it's path leads to destruction. So go ahead and cuss your (our) brains out, just know that you'll (I'll, we'll) answer to God for it and be without excuse. Oh here's MORE BIBLE verses about "profanity" for you (OP), but you (I, we) have to be convinced in your(my, our) own mind(s). In the end if you're (anyone) determined to cuss, you'll (anyone) do it regardless.

1. 1 Timothy 1:9
    Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
    1 Timothy 1:8-10 (in Context) 1 Timothy 1 (Whole Chapter)
  2. 1 Timothy 4:7
    But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
    1 Timothy 4:6-8 (in Context) 1 Timothy 4 (Whole Chapter)
  3. 1 Timothy 6:20
    O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
    1 Timothy 6:19-21 (in Context) 1 Timothy 6 (Whole Chapter)
  4. 2 Timothy 2:16
    But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
    2 Timothy 2:15-17 (in Context) 2 Timothy 2 (Whole Chapter)
  5. Hebrews 12:16
    Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
    Hebrews 12:15-17 (in Context) Hebrews 12 (Whole Chapter)
Edited to clarify. The grammar doesn't make sense, but I didn't feel like rewriting everything...too lazy:lachen:

Last edited:
I Peter 1:15 & 16
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

God has called us to a higher standard and I see nothing holy about profanity. JMO

Hey! Who gave you 1 star?

&^%$#@+_))(*&&&^****&&@@! :rolleyes:

I just gave you 5. :yep:

:rolleyes:You have a conscience. If you're a Christian you have the Holy Ghost. You can twist things any way you want it and can find a "loophole" to continue cussing, but when you stand before God you'll be without excuse. Just keep on cussing if you feel it's "ok" but there's a way that seems right unto a man but it's path leads to destruction. So go ahead and cuss your brains out, just know that you'll answer to God for it and be without excuse. Oh here's MORE BIBLE verses about "profanity" for you, but you have to be convinced in your own mind. In the end if you're determined to cuss, you'll do it regardless.

1. 1 Timothy 1:9
    Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
    1 Timothy 1:8-10 (in Context) 1 Timothy 1 (Whole Chapter)
  2. 1 Timothy 4:7
    But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
    1 Timothy 4:6-8 (in Context) 1 Timothy 4 (Whole Chapter)
  3. 1 Timothy 6:20
    O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
    1 Timothy 6:19-21 (in Context) 1 Timothy 6 (Whole Chapter)
  4. 2 Timothy 2:16
    But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
    2 Timothy 2:15-17 (in Context) 2 Timothy 2 (Whole Chapter)
  5. Hebrews 12:16
    Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
    Hebrews 12:15-17 (in Context) Hebrews 12 (Whole Chapter)

What's up with the hostility? I came at you in a respectful manner and I expected you to do the same. I never once said that I believed that using profanity was right to do as a Christian, I just wanted to pose the question for discussion because some people DON'T see anything wrong with using profanity as a Christian. Please save the attitude...

I Peter 1:15 & 16
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

God has called us to a higher standard and I see nothing holy about profanity. JMO

Hmmm...that's interesting. I've never seen that scripture before in reference to using profanity. It makes a lot of sense though. So do you believe also that Christian shouldn't just not use profanity, but speak non profane words that can be negative and bring others down?

Hmmm...that's interesting. I've never seen that scripture before in reference to using profanity. It makes a lot of sense though. So do you believe also that Christian shouldn't just not use profanity, but speak non profane words that can be negative and bring others down?

Yes. I do believe this as well. However, I'm not going to say I haven't been guilty of doing this. However, I don't cuss b/c I don't want to ruin my "testimony" with others.

What's up with the hostility? I came at you in a respectful manner and I expected you to do the same. I never once said that I believed that using profanity was right to do as a Christian, I just wanted to pose the question for discussion because some people DON'T see anything wrong with using profanity as a Christian. Please save the attitude...

No hostilility at all:nono: I just have a really annoying habit of speaking in the second person:wallbash: When I say "you" I'm not specifically saying "you" but anyone in particular who feels this way. Perhaps a better word than "you" would be "people." So please, whenever you see me talking to "you" know it's "people":grin: I appologize that I didn't come across more clear and didn't mean to offend:blush:

ETA: It's kinda funny because some parts I was speaking to you and others were people, so I'm just ognna edit the whole thing:grin:

No hostilility at all:nono: I just have a really annoying habit of speaking in the second person:wallbash: When I say "you" I'm not specifically saying "you" but anyone in particular who feels this way. Perhaps a better word than "you" would be "people." So please, whenever you see me talking to "you" know it's "people":grin: I appologize that I didn't come across more clear and didn't mean to offend:blush:

ETA: It's kinda funny because some parts I was speaking to you and others were people, so I'm just ognna edit the whole thing:grin:

Lol, the edit wasn't necessary, I understand what you were trying to say from you explanation. It's all good Ma'am!! And I apologize for taking what you said the wrong way

Back