Chrisette Michele goes bald...and it is beautiful

I have always thought she had such a pretty face. I was watching her Epiphany video the other day as I played it for a friend who was feeling like saying those words to someone, and I couldn't help but find her adorable.

I like her new look. :yep:

I'm totally feeling this look on her...sorry if it is a repost!

From ybf.blogspot.com:

"Chrisette Michele spoke about the real reasons she took it all off. Her hair that is. She found out that all the lacefront glueing and weaves and wigs don't make a singer or a black woman. And she put her money where her hair is."

Chrisette recently explained to VIBE:
"The turning point for me to shave my head was when I was out on tour. I had some pieces glued into my head because I didnt want to dye my own hair, and the glued on piece would not come out of my head so I said I'm shaving my head because this is ridiculous. This does not make me Black. This does not make me a great singer; this makes me have a piece of hair stuck to my head and I was like, "I'm done, I can't do this anymore."

I'm confused by the bolded statement.

I don't like it..

I saw an interview with her and the whole "I am being ME/natural ME" thing....yeah but you dyed it blonde....?
Okay.

One of the things we try to promote on this site is being able to be ourselves and not judge each other for our differences. Meaning you're no less black or real or natural if your hair is relaxed or curly. The reality is natural isn't about what's on your head, it's what's in your soul and how you express yourself.

If that's her spirit and her soul then who can say she shouldn't wear her hair blond or if that isn't what's the REAL her. Shoot if I decide to dye my hair purple it will because it's something I want and how I want to express myself.

I think she looks beautiful and happy, she feels good and that's the whole point :grin:

I'm confused by the bolded statement.

Things are very supportive on this site but it's easy to forget how it is out there to be judged for what message you're promoting or not promoting or blah blah blah. Honestly I think the majority of individuals expect a certain appearance from black women in the media and are vocal (sometimes to the point of being hurtful) if those women don't fulfill.

Look how they came down on Solange, the girl who registered barely any criticism before was getting put down like she shot someone once she cut her hair and left it natural. I support and love all these women but let's be real save for recently: Tyra Banks (weave), Beyonce (weave), Queen Latifah (weave), and the list goes on and on.

I can see how if you're subjected to seeing a certain image and stereotype of beauty it can be hard to adjust or change your mind. Especially since as a celebrity she is so scrutinized and believe if a curl is out of place she'll get put down. She probably just meant that if she wasn't fulfilling 'that' image of what a black woman in the media should look like she wasn't being 'black' enough. Which sadly I've heard on both sides of the whole natural, relaxed, weave debate -

We are way too hard on ourselves sometimes.

Back