Cholesterol as a Leave-In??

stowaway

Hey ladies,

Does anyone besides me use cholesterol as a leave-in conditioner? I know that people sometimes leave rinse-out conditioner in their hair, but can it be taken a step further? I'm natural and my hair craves moisture. I conditioner wash every day, clarify and protein condition as needed. Recently I've been adding cholesterol as my leave-in, with no ill effects as far as I can see. What are your thoughts on this? Could I be harming my hair without realizing it?
confused.gif

as long as you're getting good results or having no problems, i wouldnt worry. But if there's something on your cholesterol that says it shouldn't stay in your hair, then follow that.

I never thought of using cholesterol as a leave-in. I left it in my hair overnight before and my hair wasn't any more softer or conditioned than if I would have only left it in for 5 minutes. If it works for you, I don't see why not. I can't say whether it's damaging or beneficial one way or the other.

Stowaway:

As long as it doesn't leave a film on your hair, you're fine. I would watch out for over-processing, though. Make sure you clarify once a week or once every 2 or 3 weeks if that's a concern. I'm curious: which cholesterol do you use? I'm trying to find a good one...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I just wanted to make sure that there were no horror stories floating around out there. I think I will stick with the cholesterol...for now at least. It seems to keep my hair a bit softer than some of the other things that I have tried, except shea butter. But it takes so much more effort to blend shea butter in my hair if I'm not twisting it. By the time I'm finished blending, half the container is gone.

loverofnaps71: I use Dark and Lovely Cholesterol Treatment as both a wash and a leave-in. When I conditioner wash, sometimes I'll mix it with CON for effortless detangling. I've also added EVOO to it to encourage shine. The only other cholesterol I've tried is Lustrasilk- Aloe Vera, which was laughable in comparison.

I don't think I've ever seen the cholesterol made by Dark & Lovely. Currently my favorite is Lustrasilk with Aloe...and that doesn't compare huh? Hmmm...I may have to go on a little product hunt this weekend.
smile.gif

When I was natural, I used D&L Cholesterol. It was the bomb. I swore by it. My hair grew and grew with it. My hair was very healthy at that time. Maybe I'll go back, but I'm always so leery about D&L because they're always changing their ingredients...

Good luck with your hair goals!

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:
When I was natural, I used D&L Cholesterol. It was the bomb. I swore by it. My hair grew and grew with it. My hair was very healthy at that time. Maybe I'll go back, but I'm always so leery about D&L because they're always changing their ingredients...

[/ QUOTE ] Gina, when you were natural???? what happened girl?? your not now??

back to the topic, i have never used any other Cholesterol but Queen Helene and thats one i probably wouldnt use as a leave in....it seems too heavy and would probably leave the hair dull, but i love it for deep conditioning
smile.gif

but yeah if its working for you, i say keep using it
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Changing there ingredients??? I hate when any company does that. I know they're trying to trim there costs, but it's unfortunate when it compromises the quality of the product. I'm going to try some of that D & L Cholesterol this weekend if I can find some.

Good luck with your goals too!!
smile.gif

They have two versions. The one that I use is the Dark & Lovely Ultra Cholesterol Super Moisturizing & Conditioning Treatment...(a mouthful). I've never actually tried the Dry Hair Healer Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment, although it sounds like it might have promise. Pictures of both are included in this webpage. Happy hunting! D&L

Thanks for the link, I don't think I would have spotted it in that kindof jar. They both sound promising!
smile.gif

:scratchch hmmm... if i decide to buy some type of cholesterol, i'm thinking about leaving it in my hair until my next wash because when I condition with LeKair Cholesterol Plus, my hair slicks back really smooth! I wouldn't mind sporting that look with my TWA! :grin: Since I ran out of LeKair, I may try this Dark & Lovely Cholesterol! :think:

YES, I do esp. with natural styles it helps keep my hair from drying out and frizzing as much.

AB Organic's has a Liquid Leave-In Mayonnaise that contains cholesterol. Great product!! :up: :up: It isn't as thick as regular cholesterol products (Lustrasilk, Lekair, etc.), but for my hair, it conditions just as well.

Back