Checked out a new salon - won't be using them

naturalmanenyc

I am thinking of getting my hair straightened in January and I checked out a local salon to get the prices and to let the stylist see my hair.

Without really looking at my hair, I was told I would need a BIG TRIM since I have not straightened in a while (months not years). DH looked at the woman like she had two heads and later said how could she make that statement without even looking at your hair.:perplexed Just because it's curly I guess she presumed damaged?

I will not be using them. I will probably do my own hair and go to Hair Cuttery or some place similar for a trim.

Is curly hair presumed to be damaged?

SMDH she probably saw you had a lot of hair, got jealous and couldn't wait to get in there with her damn clippers.:nono:

It may be possible that her usual clients after a short amount of time (less than 2 months) need a trim, so since it it's probably been much longer for you she just assumed. A lot of people get their hair trimmed religiously every 6-8 weeks, or they have no concept of protecting their ends with updo's or sealing so they come in with chewed up ends. Also it's more difficult to assess curly hair (especially kinky hair) for damage since it tends to frizz easily, which may be a telling sign she doesn't know much about curly hair :ohwell:. I wouldn't be returning there either, that's unprofessional to assume what you need without even checking. She was probably just going to peform her usual routine on you, treating you like a mannequin head on an assembly line, all the salons I use to frequent ( all Dominican and cheap lol) before my HHJ would operate that way. Wash/Con, no DC unless you specifically ask, rollers, blow out, done. I never even heard of a DC until I stumbled upon this site.

I am thinking of getting my hair straightened in January and I checked out a local salon to get the prices and to let the stylist see my hair.

Without really looking at my hair, I was told I would need a BIG TRIM since I have not straightened in a while (months not years). DH looked at the woman like she had two heads and later said how could she make that statement without even looking at your hair.:perplexed Just because it's curly I guess she presumed damaged?

I will not be using them. I will probably do my own hair and go to Hair Cuttery or some place similar for a trim.

Is curly hair presumed to be damaged?

No. It's not presumed to be damaged :nono: It's knowingly a lot of work :yep: By giving you a trimBC she doesnt have to detangle, wash, condition, flat iron or style all that hair.

Glad you know better and realize what woud happen at that particular salon.

I don't know what your hair looks like but is it possible she noted the lack of a shape? With curly hair you can sometimes get away without having a good cut. Maybe she thought there wasn't a shape and suggested a trim to clean it up? Or thin ends?

I don't know.... I'm just offering another perspective. :look:

I'm sure some people probably do assume damage because of texture but maybe you should call or go back and ask "why was I told I'd need a big trim?" I'm sure you'll get an answer.

^^yeh well I wouldn't go back to a doctor who wrote a prescription without examining me and I'd do the same here.

Whether or not OPs ends are damaged or overall hair is w/out 'shape' whatever value that is, hardly matters in this case since the stylist didn't take the time to look.

I wouldn't go back either OP. deep side-eye warranted. We might never know the cause for the recco --laziness/jealousy never sound quite right to me cuz these are grown women; would they really be that
Petty? -- but it's enough to know the methods are suspect. Run away. Run far away.

(my phone
petty??--

I hope you wouldn't go back to a doc who did that... You'd ask right then and report him to some association...

^^yeh well I wouldn't go back to a doctor who wrote a prescription without examining me and I'd do the same here.

Whether or not OPs ends are damaged or overall hair is w/out 'shape' whatever value that is, hardly matters in this case since the stylist didn't take the time to look.

I wouldn't go back either OP. deep side-eye warranted. We might never know the cause for the recco --laziness/jealousy never sound quite right to me cuz these are grown women; would they really be that
Petty? -- but it's enough to know the methods are suspect. Run away. Run far away.

(my phone
petty??--

I do my own hair because I know it better than anyone else. I wish I could find a stylist I trust, but..naw..glad you kept it movin!

:pulpdance:

It's sad too because I was looking forward to trying the salon.

By the way, the price list was outrageous. $130 for a relaxer.
Either I'm cheap or my old stylist was not charging enough. The most I ever paid for a relaxer was $55 (as recently as 2007) and I've heard that Dominican salons charge $35 - $40 for relaxers.

Back