Check The Food Aisles!

claud-uk

Hey ladies,

Shopping has become a whole new experience for me... usually I have to order online abroad and have hubby bring it for me, which is maybe 1x monthly. Too long to wait! I went to a little supermarket the other day and came across a german sauce like soy sauce and the only ingredients were HYDROLYZED PROTEIN salt and sugar! It cost £1.97!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen:

Then I was looking in the oils and I found a 2 ltr bottle of Soy Oil... moisture heaven!!! It was like £1.50!!!

Honey starts at around £5 - it's quite expensive here. I found a jar of molasses for £1.67!!! Added this to my DC mix of Argan Oil Conditioner and Soy Oil... this gave me the best slip ever :drunk:

There's ceramides and protein and moisture... anyone know where I can find keratin and amino acids??? :spinning:

Some of those ingredients cost $$$ on Ebay in the UK - this has been such a great find for me, hope it'll help others.

YaY for you !!!

all of my ceramide oils are food grade (hemp, wheatgerm, walnut) and bought at the health food store.

Id be a little wry about that product with the salt though ... Im thinking it may lead to dryness

edit: salt left on the hair can lead to dryness/breakage:yep:

Last edited:
Hey ladies,

Shopping has become a whole new experience for me... usually I have to order online abroad and have hubby bring it for me, which is maybe 1x monthly. Too long to wait! I went to a little supermarket the other day and came across a german sauce like soy sauce and the only ingredients were HYDROLYZED PROTEIN salt and sugar! It cost £1.97!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen:

Then I was looking in the oils and I found a 2 ltr bottle of Soy Oil... moisture heaven!!! It was like £1.50!!!

Honey starts at around £5 - it's quite expensive here. I found a jar of molasses for £1.67!!! Added this to my DC mix of Argan Oil Conditioner and Soy Oil... this gave me the best slip ever :drunk:

There's ceramides and protein and moisture... anyone know where I can find keratin and amino acids??? :spinning:

Some of those ingredients cost $$$ on Ebay in the UK - this has been such a great find for me, hope it'll help others.

Which item is the ceramide? Soy Oil?

YaY for you !!!

all of my ceramide oils are food grade (hemp, wheatgerm, walnut) and bought at the health food store.

Id be a little wry about that product with the salt though ... Im thinking it may lead to dryness

IDK, you know the ladies was once doing a the salt CW or something like that. Adding salto to the con and it was giving them good slip, as long as it is mixxed with something it might not be that bad.

Dont forget the eggs and mayo for the protein LOL

ITA
i made this DC the other day with egg honey and various oils, applied it to tea-soaked hair and it came out awesommmmee. Thats protein, moisture, and ceramide all in the fridge :)

I get most of my oils other than shea butter at the supermarket. Unless you're in business and making large batches of product every week, it's more cost effective to buy locally. Plus when you buy food grade oils you can use it for cooking and beauty. When I buy in bulk from cosmetic suppliers I'm never sure whether it's safe to ingest the stuff.

IDK, you know the ladies was once doing a the salt CW or something like that. Adding salto to the con and it was giving them good slip, as long as it is mixxed with something it might not be that bad.

ah yes I remember. I should clarify my post. Salt left on the hair can be drying and lead to breakage

Bragg's (the maker of Apple Cider Vinegar) also has Liquid Aminos. It's usually right next to the Bragg's ACV so check that out too!

YaY for you !!!

edit: salt left on the hair can lead to dryness/breakage:yep:

Thanks SimJam - I was a little concerned about the salt/sugar but then occasionally I do add salt to my conditioner as per JustKiya at this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381 and I only left my protein treatment on for 10 minutes so it was ok. Usually my hair turns out a little hard after protein but it was so silky after this!

I found this list of ceramide-rich products with their levels/percentages:

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32% [17]
Canola oil 21%
Egg yolk 16%
Linseed oil 15%
Lard 10%
Olive oil 10%
Palm oil 10%
Cocoa butter 3%
Macadamia oil 2%
Butter 2%
Coconut oil 2%

Here's the link to justkiya's thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381

she recommends to use "about 1 teaspoons of salt per 8 oz of conditioner - adjust if you use more or less conditioner"

Bragg's (the maker of Apple Cider Vinegar) also has Liquid Aminos. It's usually right next to the Bragg's ACV so check that out too!

:runninghug: - great news, I would never have thought to look at the ingredients in ACV as I only use this for my final rinse so if some contain AA's that should be us fully sorted!

:runninghug: - great news, I would never have thought to look at the ingredients in ACV as I only use this for my final rinse so if some contain AA's that should be us fully sorted!

claud-uk I believe she meant that the Bragg's brand also has a liquid amino acid in their line, and it would be located next to the ACV on the market shelf. The only ingredient in ACV is... apple cider vinegar. :lol: Now, vinegar is comprised of some amino acids, but it won't be listed on the bottle.

+1 Soy oil
... check label of 100% vegetable oil (especially store brand) ... Target is less than $8 for a gallon

claud-uk I believe she meant that the Bragg's brand also has a liquid amino acid in their line, and it would be located next to the ACV on the market shelf. The only ingredient in ACV is... apple cider vinegar. :lol: Now, vinegar is comprised of some amino acids, but it won't be listed on the bottle.

:blush: thanks Theresamonet! I was wondering about that... (slaps head viciously!!!) but I'm not even embarrassed, I'm having too much fun learning! Off to search for Braggs Liquid Amino Acids!

Lol, my Mom officially thinks I'm crazy in the head, because I got super excited after spotting red palm oil in the supermarket. And my Hubby knows the teas I buy are mostly for my hair, and not for drinking...

You can get amino acids from aloe vera. It has all five amino acids associated with hair growth. Just scrape the gel out the leaf. And TRUST it is very strong. Aphogee aint got nothing on this IMO.

Back