Check for Moisture

TexturedTresses

How do you know when your hair is moisturized properly? I know my hair is moisturized when I touch it and feels cool to the touch. sometimes it doesn't feel smooth, depending on the moisturizer, but if it feels cool/cold them I know i'm doing okay. How do you check for moisture?

I never thought about feeling for coolness. I usually judge it by smoothness. I noticed that when my hair is dry that it's usually also rough and even frizzy. That's why I started wearing wet buns and making sure I seal after moisturizing :yep:.

I look and feel. If it looks less shiny and feels 'ashy' then I add a little more moisture. I also wait 2-3 days.

I know my hair's moisturized if my hair is cool. Even though I STAY hot alllll the time, my hair-even the hair on top of my head- feels cool.

I also go by softness and shine :yep:

yeah even when the heat in the basement is on HELL, my hair still feels cool. Even when it was summer. when it doesn't, I add more. thats how i knew that a moisturizer does not have to be water based.

Sandy

I have just being going by the feel of my hair. It never occurred to me to gauge by the coolness of it. Thanks for mentioning. I am going to starting checking my hair's coolness and then going from there.

Sandy

I have just being going by the feel of my hair. It never occurred to me to gauge by the coolness of it. Thanks for mentioning. I am going to starting checking my hair's coolness and then going from there.

I got that from one of sistaslicks articles

funny! I always describe my well-conditioned hair as feeling "cool" but was looking for a better word! lol Cool works.

I am obsessive about checking the strength of shed strands. I pull it all along the strand. They should stretch, not break. That's how I know my hair is in good condition. (protein + moisture)

I know my hair is moisturized when it feels smooth, not rough or dry. It has a nice sheen to it also. But come to think of it, it does feel cool also. Good point!

Are ya'll sure?

I would think that everyone's hair would be cool. Hair doesn't have a circulatory system... it's not as if we actually ever have warm hair :look: - unless you expose it to heat... examples: sunlight, heating cap/dryer, a really hot room, blowdryers/heated appliances.

Even then hair doesn't really hold on to heat. That's why we can use 400 degree flat irons on our hair and 5 seconds later it's cool again. There is no blood running through it. How/why would it ever be warm to the touch?

Maybe I'm just straight stupid, but I can't imagine why hair would ever be warm to the touch besides those reasons and similar reasons.

Last edited:
I have never heard of this cool theory. Hmm

I believe my hair is moisturized when it is soft and smooth and doesn't feel dry.

Are ya'll sure?

I would think that everyone's hair would be cool. Hair doesn't have a circulatory system... it's not as if we actually ever have warm hair :look: - unless you expose it to heat... examples: sunlight, heating cap/dryer, a really hot room, blowdryers/heated appliances.

Even then hair doesn't really hold on to heat. That's why we can use 400 degree flat irons on our hair and 5 seconds later it's cool again. There is no blood running through it. How/why would it ever be warm to the touch?

Maybe I'm just straight stupid, but I can't imagine why hair would ever be warm to the touch besides those reasons and similar reasons.

even in the summer time, outside, my hair feels cool (moisturized) in a heated room or a few minutes after i come out of the dryer.

even in the summer time, outside, my hair feels cool (moisturized) in a heated room or a few minutes after i come out of the dryer.

Yeah, but... isn't that true for everyone regardless of how moisturized/healthy it is?

Hair does not hold onto heat very well in my experience, like I said we use heated appliances and the heat dissipates in seconds.

I meant if you are standing in direct sunlight, I guess your hair would get a little warm... I guess. I was trying to think of circumstances that would lead to warm feeling hair.

I need to find people with dry hair and stick my hands in it to see if it's warm or not :lachen:

ETA:

but nah... not knocking anyone or trying to offend. Just not really making sense to me at the moment.

I guess that hair with a higher moisture content may be slightly cooler than bone dry hair... I guess? but even straw dry hair doesn't hold onto heat and become warm... I doubt it would be a dramatic temperature difference between moisturized and dry hair. How would you really be able to tell if it's just a few degrees difference?

Could you link me to where you found this info? I promise I'll shut up after this :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, but... isn't that true for everyone regardless of how moisturized/healthy it is?

Hair does not hold onto heat very well in my experience, like I said we use heated appliances and the heat dissipates in seconds.

I meant if you are standing in direct sunlight, I guess your hair would get a little warm... I guess. I was trying to think of circumstances that would lead to warm feeling hair.

I need to find people with dry hair and stick my hands in it to see if it's warm or not :lachen:

lol, its my experience that when my hair is dry it does not feel as cool as when it is moisturized.

eta: this is how i check to see if i need moisture. when its dry... it does not feel as cool.

Last edited:
Back