Cheaper Alternatives to Pibbs Kwik dry 514

secretdiamond said:
has anyone ever used the ConairProâ„¢ Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer?

It looks like this:

cn%2dcphhdr_FULL.jpg

A portable, freestanding, 1500 watt dryer.
It features 3 temperature settings and adjustable height.

It costs from $100-169 on the sites that I've visited. I'm thinking of getting this, but wanted to know if anyone has used it before.

I bought that dryer and it SUCKED big time for me. My hair was long enough to use the purple rollers and I could not fit under there. I ended up giving the dryer to my mother, and bit the bullet and got the Pibbs. It gets the job done in about an hour (if I can stay under there long enough, too hot for me at times).

secretdiamond said:
has anyone ever used the ConairProâ„¢ Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer?

It looks like this:

cn%2dcphhdr_FULL.jpg

A portable, freestanding, 1500 watt dryer.
It features 3 temperature settings and adjustable height.

It costs from $100-169 on the sites that I've visited. I'm thinking of getting this, but wanted to know if anyone has used it before.

I have used this one, I purchased mine off of ebay for a lil over $50. The hood would not stay upright on the mount. It was also hard to find a chair the right height because the pole could not adjust. The settings weren't great either.

wow.... thanks for the reviews sassyhair & skegeesmb. Very disappointing to know that it isn't as comparable to the pibbs.

I'm just very reluctant to get the pibbs. My hair always sits just under the fan and I hate that. I feel like it's frying the hair there. :ohwell:

I guess I'll keep on looking... or break down and get the pibbs.

It's by Sanlan Hairdressing Industrial co. and I love it, and yes it has the whirl wind action goin on. I can't compare it to the pibbs because I'v never used one, but I can compare it to what I've used in the past (which was a golden hot hard bonnett dryer) it's waay better than the golden hot, especially because of the way it's made, it traps all the heat in, making it easier to dry the hair faster and hit that bottom back neck hair line.

I took awhile to respond because a part was lost during shipping and something ended up missing from the wheel base, so they had to resend the parts, plus they refunded 50% of the cost for the trouble. :D
lonei said:
WHAT BRAND IS IT? DO POST A REVIEW ONCE YOU HAVE USED IT! THANKS.

ETA: It took 25 min. to dry my hair, and normally I rollerset on hair that's just damp, but I wanted to test this dry to it's fullest and made sure it was wet. I'm defiantely satified w/my purchase!

Last edited:
Priestess said:
bumping, anyone using the pibbs dryer?

I am using the Pibbbs dryer for almost 3years. It's worth the money IMO. My rollersets dry completely in 30-45 min depending on my hair length.

I bought a Pibbs in 2002. It still works perfectly. I actually dropped it down a flight of stairs! I swear, I was about to cry! The visor was cracked, but it still worked and it hasn't failed me yet. (I taped and superglued the visor back together again) My hair is thick 4B, past bra strap. I use the jumbo rollers and it takes me 1 hour to dry. IMO, the dryer is worth every penny.

So just to re-iterate. If you have a big head, and use jumbo rollers, you should still be able to fit under the pibbs???

Also, are y'all using hair nets? I remember using these types of dryers (not pibbs though) in the salon, and the upward air flow would pull my hair into the vents, causing breakage. Has anyolne experienced this with the pibbs? They say you are supposed to use nets with these types of dryers.

Macherieamour has a LOT of hair and she can fit under it with purple and gray rollers.

I do use a net because it does blow your hair up towards the fan.

I'm going to get the Pibbs if I have to, but I'd rather get this knock-off.

I just spent the last hour trying to find a Sanlan. Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!

About 7 years ago I bought the $99 special from Amazon that was a Pibbs knockoff. Still use it almost weekly with no problems.

Best Choice Products Hair Dryer Beauty Salon Spa Equipment With Stand Commercial Unit Quality New Amazon product ASIN B0032CI2IU

About 7 years ago I bought the $99 special from Amazon that was a Pibbs knockoff. Still use it almost weekly with no problems.

Best Choice Products Hair Dryer Beauty Salon Spa Equipment With Stand Commercial Unit Quality New Amazon product ASIN B0032CI2IU

Woooooo, thanks, sis!

Lots of people have recommended various ones to me, and I'm so grateful. I never jumped, though. I realize it's because I should have asked for a suggestion for a Pibbs knock-off.

Off to Amazon!

Back