Chapter of a cosmetology textbook...

caress

I thought this was interesting. It's entitled, Chemical Hair Relaxing and Soft Curl Permanent

http://www.delmar.com/resources/samp_chaps/156253467X_13.pdf

[ QUOTE ]
This chapter provides you with the necessary information
to master these National Industry Skill Standards for Entry-Level Cosmetologists:
• Consulting with clients to determine their needs and preferences
• Performing hair relaxation and wave formation techniques in accordance with manufacturer’s
directions
• Providing styling and finishing techniques to complete a hairstyle to the satisfaction of the client
• Conducting services in a safe environment, taking measures to prevent the spread of infectious
and contagious diseases

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
APPLYING THE CONDITIONER-FILLER
In many cases a conditioner-filler is required before the chemical relaxer
can be used. The conditioner-filler, usually a protein product,
applied to the entire head of hair when dry. It protects over-porous
or slightly damaged hair from being over-processed on any part
the hair shaft. It evens out porosity of the hair shaft, and permits
uniform distribution and action of the chemical relaxer.
To give complete benefits from the conditioner-filler, rub it gently
onto the hair from the scalp to the hair ends, using either
hands or a comb. Then towel dry the hair or use a cool dryer
completely dry the hair.
CAUTION
Avoid the use of heat, which will open the pores of the scalp and
cause irritation or injury to the client’s scalp.
Protective gloves must be worn by the cosmetologist to prevent
damage to hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, when I use to get my hair relaxed at the shop my old stylist never used this method. Then again, if she used this method it would take more time and would cut down on her overbooking.

Thank you so much. I will insist that my stylist use a filler from now on. I think that these stylist are so lazy!

wow, I don't think I have ever had anyone do that. It's a shame because it could prevent so much damage from happening

Wow...I don't know any stylist who does this. You would think after all of the issues I had with breakage and overprocessing, SOMEBODY would think to use a filler! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Then again, if she used this method it would take more time and would cut down on her overbooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it right there. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Ya'll, I think I'm going to try cosmetology school out one day. I mean, as much as I pay attention to detail and personally care for hair, I could be so successful!

I heard that. I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes it seems I care more about hair than the "professionals" do.

I have had only one stylist who ever done the conditioner-filler and only when I had the relaxer for 18 months. Everything else was done.

My stylist Maria use to do this. She was the only one and the best stylist but unfortunately she quit doing hair.
Since then, and after some ill-fated trips at other salons,I've been doing my own relaxers.

Affirm makes one:
Affirm® Protecto

A patented organic BiocompHlex, applied along the entire hairshaft, especially to new growth area, prior to relaxing.

Rich, positively-charged compounds attach electronically to negative sites along the hairshaft.

Penetrates deep within the hair fiber during relaxing. (Protector® accomplishes significant conditioning at this stage because during the straightening process, the hair's pH is relatively high (13.0-13.5) and the cuticles are open wide).

Effectively repairs trichorrhexis nodosa (damaged areas along the hairshaft), resulting in a smooth realignment of damaged fibers. Flyaway split ends are repaired as well.

Eases wet combing and minimizes shedding.

[ QUOTE ]
So what product would qualify as a conditioner-filler?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in Cosmetology school but i've never read this before i'll look it up in my hair relaxing chapter and let you guys know tommorow

[ QUOTE ]
The lady that relaxed my hair last did this. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man! I wish I was back East! It seems like in Minnesota the only requirement for a hairstyling license (for relaxers, anyway) is a high level of incompetence and dishonesty....

[Not bitter or anything, lol. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif]

my hairdresser does this..

i cant wait to learn how to do relaxers, unfortunately thats in cos 101/102.. not 100 /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Optimum Pre-Conditioning Treatment in the blue bottle is a VERY good pre conditioning treatment/filler for relaxing.

i always request the stylist to put filler in my hair, and it has helped in minimizing shedding during relaxer tremendously.

I've used Porosity Control ph 4.5 by ROUX . It's called a Corrector & Conditioner. I used it before I color my hair, and I color all the time! It is $1.89 gor the 1.6 fl oz at Sallys. I get about 6 uses per bottle. I've never used it before relaxing because you have to rinse it out. Maybe I'll do it the day before and check out the results next time I relax.

yuppers my mom does this.. ive actually read through most of her cosmotology books an there are sum real good tips in there.

This is really enlightening. I've never had a hairdresser that used a filler. I used Protecto when I relaxed my hair 2 weeks ago. It's a shame that hairdressers skip this step, risking the client's hair. I'm glad I'm doing my own touchups now.

I have used Porosity Control before a few of my touch-ups but I never paid attention to the results. I have to start doing this again. Anyway, someone sent me an a PM and I thought I'd clarify things and say that I am not a hair professional or a cosmetology student.

I put Protecto on my hair before I go to the stylist for a touch up. But I didn;t know that I was supposed to rinse it out...

Back