Channel 5 News Special Report - 'Going Natural'

Didn't watch the entire video..but portion I did watch, I didn't care for.. and not all black women are spending money on there hair despite the recession.

I really didn't like them using the word trend but I loved the segment. I shed a tear when I heard that little girl say she loved her natural hair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

that was so nice. i think about one of the local anchor's hair (i'm in raleigh/durham) and wonder what it really looks like.

I saw this on bglh last night and I though it was awesome. It was done in a positive way and I thought all the women looked great with thier natural hair.

For some strange reason, this video made me feel guilty for wearing wigs, weaves and even braids (video didn't mention braids). I like my natural hair but I enjoy wearing half-wigs and weaves b/c sometimes I'm sick of looking at my natural hair and so here comes wigs/weaves/braids. One thing people have to understand everyone can do what ever they want with their hair.

This was nice. That little girl is friggin adorable!

I also liked when the co-anchor kind of checked home boy when she said it's not only about "a look". That was cool.

I also think whoever was doing that relaxer needs to go back to school because she was raking that sucker through like a wild woman. Smh.

When the lady started talking about scalp burns. :nono: just reminded me why I pass the relaxer aisle every time I go into a BSS.

This was nice. That little girl is friggin adorable!

I also liked when the co-anchor kind of checked home boy when she said it's not only about "a look". That was cool.

I also think whoever was doing that relaxer needs to go back to school because she was raking that sucker through like a wild woman. Smh.

Did you notice the overlapping too?? Hot mess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

i feel bad for not liking the news reporters new hair. she looked much prettier the other way.

i teared up tho w. the mother-daughter special

That really touched my heart:yep:....and to see how her WHITE colleagues praised and supported her decision.
I'm SO happy to be transitioning:yep:

That was just beautiful! OMG! I loved the change in her daughter I loved the twa's, loved it loved it loved it. I feel guity for sometimes PSing with fake hair too. Its a multi-billion dollar industry and Black women dare fueling it with demand for silky textured hair. Eventually I plan on completely eliminating fake hair altogether, its so great to be an example of how awesome our hair is!

This is really uplifting.

I saw this the other day. I didn't like that they used the word "trend," but I admit, it is a buzz word. Cool story.

Such an inspirational story. I love the story of the mom and daughter too. I have a friend that is struggling with her decision to relax b/c she has a daughter with 4b hair who is starting to notice how mom's hair is different. . She's on the fence and thinking about transitioning. I think I will show this video to her

Thanks for sharing OP. She was a brave woman for having her BC filmed for all to see. And ITA about the little girl, when she said she loves her natural hair I could not help but smile.

thanks for sharing. The little girl reminded me of my baby sister who got her relaxer primarily because of school and of my experience as well, my hair has never been like my classmates (predominantly white schools) and I can only imagine how I would have turned out if I hadn't already been naturally confident...and inches taller than my classmates hehe (i wasn't a bully! just sayin).

I really do think the movement that's occurring is fantastic. It's not just about going natural. I may consider relaxing years down the road but the fact that I will still feel like it's because I want to and not because society requires me to is priceless.
I think the message is just to find our beauty as a people, whether that beauty is through going natural or finding real meaning in the relaxed hair one has beyond (it's socially acceptable/professional).

Thanks!

Back