Ceramides vs Keratin vs Silk Amino Acids

spellinto

What's the difference between the three? :perplexed

I have googled each one and looked at a few sites. In the descriptions, each hair ingredient claims to provide a protective coating to the hair and penetrate the strand to work on internal healing. Ceramides in particular are known to "glue" the hair cuticle into place, keratin is actually a protein (what our hair is made of), and silk amino acids are hydroscopic (great at attracting moisture). But essentially, they all seem to do the same thing....

Unless there's something I'm missing? If you had to choose a hair product with one of these ingredients to retain moisture and protect against split ends, which would you choose?

IMO, it is best to think of them, not as substitutes or replicas of one another, but as complementary cogs that work together: the keratin strengthens and rebuilds; the ceramides limit protein and moisture loss in addition to assisting with cuticle cohesion and porosity, thereby facilitating strength and elasticity; and SAAs form a protective barrier that also increases elasticity. As a result, all three collaboratively keep the hair strong and pliable; which are the optimal conditions for it to accept and retain the moisture it has been given - the protein-moisture balance.

I hope that my post didn't further confuse you.

Well dang @JPayne! You're a wealth of info! THanks...makes me feel more at ease I use all those things. :)

IMO, it is best to think of them, not as substitutes or replicas of one another, but as complementary cogs that work together: the keratin strengthens and rebuilds; the ceramides limit protein and moisture loss in addition to assisting with cuticle cohesion and porosity, thereby facilitating strength and elasticity; and SAAs form a protective barrier that also increases elasticity. As a result, all three collaboratively keep the hair strong and pliable; which are the optimal conditions for it to accept and retain the moisture it has been given - the protein-moisture balance.

I hope that my post didn't further confuse you.

Thanks, this does help a little. It also makes me wonder why hair products don't just infuse all three into their products and make it easier for everyone...

Back