Cellophane Rinses....????

Leslie_C

I am becoming more and more curious about what these are, how they work, and do they benefit hair, harm it, or neither? Whats the difference between a cellophane and a semipermanent color(the kind that washes out?)? Also, how often is a cellophane applied? does it grow out, wash out, or what? is it touched up or applied all over every time?

I have some Nick Chavez Cellogloss from a long time ago before I ever heard of cellophanes, and am tempted to use it. I know many of u use them so if u could give me as much info as possible on them I would really really appreciate it. The search function usually doesnt work for me lately.

A cellophane, a color gloss, a rinse and a semi-permanent are all the same thing - for the most part. Where it begins to get tricky is brands.

They are different than some semiperms in that they contain no peroxide. There are no damaging ingredients at all. The Nick Chavez would qualify - but if it needs to be mixed - beware. It's harsher than it lets on. Not HARSH necessarily mind you - but harsher than it claims to be.

If you use any color that is closer or lighter than your natural color, it will wash out gradually over the course of a few shampoos. 10? 20? - Depends on your hair, the kind of shampoo you use and a host of other factors, but the bottom line is they are designed to wash out.

I apply mine all over each time about every 4 weeks. I either use clear or a color that compliments the shade I'm wearing at the time. When I go dark, I consider it a permanent change since the porosity of my hair from previus permanent color jobs have caused my hair to soak up color and not let go. If your hair is overprocessed in ANY way expect the color to be permanent. I mention this because often people use black rinses thinking they'll just wash out and when they don't...
nono.gif

I only apply monthly with the brands I KNOW don't have peroxide in them tho - Sebastian, Adore, Jazzing etc....

If it contains peroxide you should only touch up the roots, but if it's not a permanent color, you can reapply it if you missed a spot without much of a problem unless you hair is ultra sensitive.

True rinses - those without peroxide - help keep the cuticle smoothed down so they help avoid routine manual damage, and they give the hair a brilliant shine and an overall healthy appearance. The usually carry a very low PH - 3-4 - and usually contain silicone and /or protein - so if your hair is sensitive to those be careful...

Overall - they are unlikely to cause a problem and can assist in your hair growth journey by helping to protect the hair and help it to look as healthy as possible.

The rule of thumb for telling the difference is often experiential:

1. Semi-perms generally, don't require peroxide. The one exception is Bigen - they get away with calling themselves a semi-perm because they have somehow put the peroxide in the powder - and all you have to do is mix with water. Add that to people like Cathy Howse SAYING it doesn't contain peroxide and the confusion is bound to occur. Sebastian, jazzing, Adore, Rejuvatone etc. all fit into this category.

2. Colors that need to be mixed with developer, and call themselves semi-permanents are really DEMI-permanents. The confusion comes in because manufacturers of these products often CALL them semi-permanents and the haircare industry has taken the ball and ran with it (no dount to target folks who are looking o color, but are looking for buzz words that indicate less damaging - like 'semi-permanent'. They use a mild peroxide formula (10-20 volume) to push color further into the cortex so they last longer. Sometimes I use this in place of permanent color when I don't want to go lighter, because they can be permanent. L'oreal Casting, Natural Instincts and Bigen fit into this category.

If you prefer this category and neat trick is to take the bottle of developer you get in the kit and dump out anywhere from 1/4 to a 1/3 of it. Replace what you've discarded with water and conditioner - or either. What you end up with is a milder more conditioning formula, the peroxide has been diluted to a lower concentration and the color comes out the same because it's not meant to lighten anyway - so you get enough color deposi using this method to get good color, less some of the damage.

3. Permanent color is also mixed with developer but it's stronger - usually a 30 volume. This is the "bad stuff".
laugh.gif

HTH!
smile.gif

wow Tracy, thanks so much for that information!!!:) u are a doll! Ill just call u the color queen from now on!

NOW I know why one time a long time ago I put in semipermanent color that never washed out and damaged my hair over time, it was because my hair was overprocessed and porous(I used to perm my whole head--I didnt know better!)

Well the nick chavez stuff doesnt have peroxide in it, so I think after I get my next touch up I will use it a week or two after. It doesnt say its a color but it looks brown so Ill have to test it on a small secion first. Ill use some porosity control first to be sure....If I like it next time Im getting the sebastians clear one because I like my own color and dont want to risk it not washing out.

Ill let u know how it goes!

So what you are saying is, if I apply a black semi-permanent hair color over my reddish brown hair, it will be permanent?

wow, I just realized that the color I used to use a couple of years ago had peroxide in it. It was also called a "semipermanent" color, and it DID NOT wash out! It was loreal color spa. I used it several times and it permanently dyed my hair(or shall I say DIED...lol).

It also fried it and it was so bad that I went to get a relaxer and they wouldnt do it! My hair would literally just come out in their hands when wet if they tugged it. They gave me treatments for about a month and by then I had enough new growth to cut most of the damage out. thats where I started to grow it out again. I never knew anything about hair back then, I surewish I knew u guys back in the day!

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
wow, I just realized that the color I used to use a couple of years ago had peroxide in it. It was also called a "semipermanent" color, and it DID NOT wash out! It was loreal color spa. I used it several times and it permanently dyed my hair(or shall I say DIED...lol).

It also fried it and it was so bad that I went to get a relaxer and they wouldnt do it! My hair would literally just come out in their hands when wet if they tugged it. They gave me treatments for about a month and by then I had enough new growth to cut most of the damage out. thats where I started to grow it out again. I never knew anything about hair back then, I surewish I knew u guys back in the day!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually going to purchase this hair color, but when I went online they said it is not recommended for relaxed hair. Sorry about your experience!!!

mocha, thx for the sympathy! Im glad u didnt use that on your pretty hair! Oh well, on the bright side I ended up slowly cutting off all the damaged hair and starting again so now I have a new head of hair and it would probably still be looking torn down had this not happened and allowed me to make a new beginning! Im just at shoulder length but it hasnt been this long since I was a kid!

Honeyrockette,
What I get from it is that yes, it can possibly dye your hair. is your hair porous? mine sure is.

This post came at a good time because I just bought semi-perm hair color in jet black yesterday. I was going to post a similar question when I saw this thread. I just wanted to try black for a while to see if I like it. Now I am scared to try it. How can I tell if my hair is porous?

Usually any chemically processed hair is becomes more porous than hair in it's naturaly state. The older the hair is, the more porous also (ends of your hair more porous than the roots). I don't think the color will be completely permanent and will begin to fade, however, you will risk the chance of it of it not completely rinsing out and your hair will hold on to some of the color and remain darker than prior to applying the rinse.

[ QUOTE ]
Mocha1111 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually going to purchase this hair color, but when I went online they said it is not recommended for relaxed hair. Sorry about your experience!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you see that? I haven't used Colorspa in a couple of months, but last time I did (about a year ago) it was fine for relaxed hair. And it always was before that.

Do you know where you saw it? I'd be interested to see....

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyRockette said:
How can I tell if my hair is porous?

[/ QUOTE ]
Put a strand of hair in a cup of water. I fhe strand sinks to the bottom it is porous.
I tried it before coloring my hair. The virgin hair floated at the top, and the colored ends sunk to the bottom of the cup...

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Where did you see that? I haven't used Colorspa in a couple of months, but last time I did (about a year ago) it was fine for relaxed hair. And it always was before that.

Do you know where you saw it? I'd be interested to see....

[/ QUOTE ]

I use ColorSpa on my daughter's hair and it doesn't say that it's not recommended for relaxed hair. It DOES say that it should be left on relaxed hair for only about 10 minutes... I'd also be interested to know which ColorSpa said that...
confused.gif

Okay. That's what I THOUGHT...
spinning.gif

I was like: could I have been that oblivious??? I could have SWORN there were instructions for relaxed hair because I remember (I think) following them....
laugh.gif
Whew! I may not be crazy....

ok so to be perfectly clear can someone tell me this: I want to use Sebatians clear. I am relaxed. Does my hair being porous or non-porous affect the outcome? Also since this is coating my hair shaft will conditioners and cremes still penetrate my hair? What about if I need a touch up? Will this be affected too?

I don't think so, ....usually chemical services remove rinse products from the hair, so you'd probably have to apply afterwards. You should have no concern with clear. Only concern with color that I know of is that all the color may not go away, but the products are pretty much harmless, if anything, they are conditioning.

I just did a clear Jazzy rinse last night. I don't see too much change in my hair. It doesn't look shinier to me. I put it on and left it on for about 20-25 minutes with a plastic conditioning cap on my head. Afterwards, I did a condition wash (they say on the bottle to shampoo afterwards).

Now, if I wanted to do a black rinse in a few days or a week, do you think that would be all right, or should I wait a few weeks. What do you all think?

I think you should be ok, there aren't any harsh chemicals....but maybe someone else can give you an answer from experience

But can anyone tell me if this stuff coats your hair so much that other things like deep conditioner treatments and cremes cannot penetrate any longer?

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
But can anyone tell me if this stuff coats your hair so much that other things like deep conditioner treatments and cremes cannot penetrate any longer?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I always use a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner prior to applying Sebastian Colourshine to my hair. I have never had a problem with the product (did one just a couple of hours ago). Since it washes out, products would be allowed to penetrate afterwards.

Allandra,
I think she is worried about products not being able to penetrait while the color is in her hair, for the life of the color. Since its been said it closes the cuticle for a long time and it coats the hairshaft.

I dont think it would be a problem, bc lots of things close the cuticle(rinsing in cold water, sealing with oils/or heat) but the hair can still accept moisture,etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Allandra,
I think she is worried about products not being able to penetrait while the color is in her hair, for the life of the color. Since its been said it closes the cuticle for a long time and it coats the hairshaft.

I dont think it would be a problem, bc lots of things close the cuticle(rinsing in cold water, sealing with oils/or heat) but the hair can still accept moisture,etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought she meant as well.
smile.gif

sorry Tracy...I just checked the website and the line that isn't recommended for relaxed hair that I wanted to try was Couleur Expert!!! It is all over color plus hilights...I took the hair coloring quiz and that is where I got the info.

That makes more sense Mocha....
smile.gif

Ok - porosity will only affect the degree of COLOR deposit in this context - so no, it won't matter with a Clear. As for conditioners and mositurizers penetrating...

I always tell people that a rinse isn't a fortress. Yes - it will seal the cuticle but when I say seal I don't mean seal up like a tomb...
laugh.gif
One of the things it does because of it's PH is to NATURALLY cause the outer layers of the hair - the cuticle - to lay flat (this is partly when I mean when I say "close" or "seal") there is nothing damaging about this, because healthy unprocessed hair is full of cuticles that lay flat. When they do, the strands reflect light, and shine. They resist humidity. They better withstand wet and dry combing and brushing. This is one way of conceptualizing the idea of "sealing" or "closing" the cuticle.

Another way to think about it is to thnk of the product itself as actually becoming a BARRIER on the hair - protecting it, and technically making it maybe , possibly, somewhat resistant to conditioning. Now - the product coats the hair some, yes - but only for a wash or two and even then it won't stop the conditioner from getting to your hair. Esp if you're deep conditioning. And it contains it's own conditioners that add weight to the inner structure of the hair shaft, giving longer lasting protection to your strands overall...this is the longer term benefit. It will eventually wash out completely - the product, and that's why I do them regularly - monthly.

My point is: When you use a rinse, you get BOTH benefits.

When the COLOR lasts, the protective aspects of using the product don't last with the color. It is the color deposit that stays in this context - not the conditioning benefits or the protection against handling, and the environment.

Did I get everything?

wow Tracy, u sound like a commercial for haircolor, its sounding better and better *hearing RESISTS HUMIDITY....
wow......resists........humidity.......*
shocked.gif

laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:
I just did a clear Jazzy rinse last night. I don't see too much change in my hair. It doesn't look shinier to me. I put it on and left it on for about 20-25 minutes with a plastic conditioning cap on my head. Afterwards, I did a condition wash (they say on the bottle to shampoo afterwards).

Now, if I wanted to do a black rinse in a few days or a week, do you think that would be all right, or should I wait a few weeks. What do you all think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are prepared to have black hair for good (which is always possible with a black rinse, it may not happen - but it's possible) then you shouldn't do it. Go with Dark Brown. You'll get more shine than with the clear (because darker hair reflects more light - I'm assuming your hair isn't already dark brown - but even if it is the color may enrich your natural color some). Jazzing is also an inferior product and you'll never get the level of shine you get with better quality rinses. It's not bad, it's just not as good.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
wow Tracy, u sound like a commercial for haircolor, its sounding better and better *hearing RESISTS HUMIDITY....
wow......resists........humidity.......*
shocked.gif

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Again, we're not talking miracles here. If your hair swells into an Angela Davis afro in humidity you'll probably only notice a mild difference in that regard. but every little bit helps.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are prepared to have black hair for good (which is always possible with a black rinse, it may not happen - but it's possible) then you shouldn't do it. Go with Dark Brown. You'll get more shine than with the clear (because darker hair reflects more light - I'm assuming your hair isn't already dark brown - but even if it is the color may enrich your natural color some). Jazzing is also an inferior product and you'll never get the level of shine you get with better quality rinses. It's not bad, it's just not as good.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for replying, Tracy. My hair is off-black now with a few reddish highlights from the sun and texturizers. I want to get rid of the highlights
smile.gif
because I like dark black hair
smile.gif
. I don't know if I want to spend $20 for Sebastian. I might try Adore black next.

Back