Celebs with NO relaxers....

sky_blu

Ok I dont know if this is a trend but Im noticing alot of celebs that look like they have relaxers and wear their hair straight but no relaxers. Monica, Beyonce, Mary J, Ashanti the list goes on. I wonder how do they do it. Does anyone wear their hair straight (relaxer looking) and you have no relaxer?? What is the upkeep? Are you at the salon weekly? Im relaxed but I just took my braids out and my head is looking rather lioness right about now :lol: It just would seem difficult. :ohwell:

In some of the older threads, I saw pics of naturals who got dominican blow outs and their hair looked relaxed. Maybe that's what the ladies in question are doing.

wow...i new queen latifah was a natural and gets her hair pressed routinely, but i find it hard to believe that beyonce, ashanti, monica, and etc are naturals. i would like to see their natural hair.

Beyonce is a natural, supposedly. She does it so she can bleach her hair. That being said, her hair seems to be 3b/c in texture and she wears a lot of hairpieces.

I recently read that Ashanti only Relax the front of her hair and then presses the rest,I read this in the SBH while waiting in the store.

Besides these are Celebrities and they can get away with anything. Plus they can get to a stylist quick and get those roots touched up! LOL!!!!

I think using heat in general can give the "relaxer effect". Even a good curling iron or a good ceramic flat iron can do the trick.

I've been transitioning for almost a year and if I use heat on my natural hair, you can't tell the difference between the relaxed and natural parts. Well, I can because the natural hair is much healthier and thicker.

unlv girl is natural and presses her hair every few weeks. her hair is tailbone length... i'll do a search for you! **I love her hair**

NappyParadise said:
I recently read that Ashanti only Relax the front of her hair and then presses the rest,I read this in the SBH while waiting in the store.

Besides these are Celebrities and they can get away with anything. Plus they can get to a stylist quick and get those roots touched up! LOL!!!!

I read that also, and Beyonce is natural...SHe transitioned for two years with the help of her stylist...She gets it pressed routinely obviously...

*ElleB said:
I read that also, and Beyonce is natural...SHe transitioned for two years with the help of her stylist...She gets it pressed routinely obviously...
Wow...who knew Bee was natural? Hard to tell with all of those pieces and front lace wigs she rocks...

i think gabrielle union is natural as well. i think she just flat irons and tamala jones was in a hair magazine like 2 or 3 years ago and she said she doesn't wear a perm she presses it. aaliyah also never permed her hair she pressed it also.

NappyParadise said:

Thats where I read this at. And I read about the Monica thing waaaaayyy back like her second album back lol. She did mention that if she did use relaxers she would use a kiddie one which got it straight just enough. I was actually doing that when I did my own and sure enough it got straight just enough and looked like a regular one too.

nfynit_812 said:
Wow...who knew Bee was natural? Hard to tell with all of those pieces and front lace wigs she rocks...

there were some pics of her @ the beach w/jay z. she was either natural or she had a twist/braid-out thing going on. who knows 4 sure? every other time i've seen her she had on that lace front wig

I'm natural and my hair looks just like a relaxer when I get it pressed. It's not hard to upkeep. I workout and everything and mine stays straight until I wash it. When I wear it pressed, I press it every 2 weeks to a month. Pics are in my album. http://public.fotki.com/awomansglory PW: jesussaves Look in "Growth" album

Yep, Queen Latifah and even Gabrielle Union (in Essence) claim to be natural and just get their hair pressed every 2 weeks. Yeah right- maybe in cali where the humidity isn't that bad. Here in Ohio I can get it pressed- once a week maybe, but prolly twice if it's summer...:lol: Once every week?! My hair (and everyone else) would be laughing at me.

Yep, Queen Latifah and even Gabrielle Union (in Essence) claim to be natural and just get their hair pressed every 2 weeks. Yeah right- maybe in cali where the humidity isn't that bad. Here in Ohio I can get it pressed- once a week maybe, but prolly twice if it's summer...:lol: Once every week?! My hair (and everyone else) would be laughing at me.

In the Motions relaxer commercial with Kelly Rowland (dancing in the purple top) she says she's been natural for the last 5 years :eek: (and "Motions is the only relaxer that she'd trust" or somn like that). I would have never guessed! Tina Knowles, Solange, Christina Millian, Tia and Tamara, Tyra, Raven Symone, Lisa Raye, Janet and Oprah (I believe) are also natural.

ETA: Taraji P. Henson (from Baby Boy and Hustle & Flow)

Last edited:
I think those celebrities like Gabrielle Union, Jada Pinkett, Alicia Keys, and others get their hair blowdried, pressed, and/or flat ironed. I don't see any other way around having straight natural hair unless they press or flat iron it.

I sometimes wonder if when a magazine, article, or tv show mentions one of these straight haired natural celebrities and says they have 'natural' hair... do they mean 'no weave or extensions' or 'this is their own/real hair'... does anyone else wonder that?

Poohbear said:
I sometimes wonder if when a magazine, article, or tv show mentions one of these straight haired natural celebrities and says they have 'natural' hair... do they mean 'no weave or extensions' or 'this is their own/real hair'... does anyone else wonder that?

I wonder that. It's been a while, but I once heard Tyra say that she wears weaves because the extreme styling of her hair for photo shoots was damaging.

Personally, I don't believe most of them and don't pay much attention to celeb hair any more since I've been on this board. We have our own LHCF celebs who should get paid for endorsing the products that they do!! :dance7:

Yeah, I remember reading an article where Beyonce's mom was saying that she grew her relaxer out and it took 2 1/2 years. That was back when she was wearing those cornrows for a while when Writings on the wall was out. She said that Beyonce felt it wasn't as manageable as she thought it would be. But Beyonce wears lace fronts most of the time so she doesn't really have to worry about straightening her hair. As far as Ashanti goes, isn't her hair more a type 3? It might not be as hard to keep straight as some of the 4 hair types. Oprah has a relaxer. I remember seeing one episode where people were writing in to the show complaining about her hair because she had a flat wrap for a few days. And she explained on the show mainly to her non black viewers i guess lol that they were pressed for time had started the relaxer the morning of the show and that your hair is thinner after a relaxer. They didn't have time for anything else so she wore the wrap for a few episodes and then that day when she addressed it, her hair was back curly. Does anyone know if the curly hair is a weave or not though? I get my hair blown out on occasion at the Dom salon when I'm stretching and it stays straight for at least 2 weeks. It usually doesn't revert until I wash it.

Baha_Ma said:
In the Motions relaxer commercial with Kelly Rowland (dancing in the purple top) she says she's been natural for the last 5 years :eek: (and "Motions is the only relaxer that she'd trust" or somn like that). I would have never guessed! Tina Knowles, Solange, Christina Millian, Tia and Tamara, Tyra, Raven Symone, Lisa Raye, Janet and Oprah (I believe) are also natural.

ETA: Taraji P. Henson (from Baby Boy and Hustle & Flow)

I'm starting to see a trend here. "Natural pressed hair"= Long...thick hair. Hmmmmm.....

What celebrities have relaxed hair (not weave) that actually looks HEALTHY and thick?? Because, this list of celebs (who I THOUGHT had chemicals in their hair) is telling me something. If all of these ladies are "natural" as they claim, then maybe I need to jump on the natural boat.

I know one thing....if this switch back to DE mild relaxers doesn't help the thinning of my hair, then I might just go natural and call it a day. :lol:

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I'm starting to see a trend here. "Natural pressed hair"= Long...thick hair. Hmmmmm.....

What celebrities have relaxed hair (not weave) that actually looks HEALTHY and thick?? Because, this list of celebs (who I THOUGHT had chemicals in their hair) is telling me something. If all of these ladies are "natural" as they claim, then maybe I need to jump on the natural boat.

I know one thing....if this switch back to DE mild relaxers doesn't help the thinning of my hair, then I might just go natural and call it a day. :lol:

The only person I can think of at the moment is Kenya Moore. I'm sure there are others but no one is popping into my head at the moment. Is there anyone else? And another thing, how do we know if we're looking at their hair or not? Most of them wear weaves. Gabrielle Union said she buys her hair from Extensions Plus in Essence. We know Tyra wears weaves and lace fronts. She did show a picture of her hair on the show one day though. Queen Latifah has always head a head full of hair but she wears pieces when the job requires it. And with the lacefronts out now, a lot of celebs are still hush about it and just say it's a weave when it's really a wig. If they're in weaves and wigs most of the time, how are we supposed to tell what their hair really looks like natural or not?

bmoreflyygirl said:
The only person I can think of at the moment is Kenya Moore. I'm sure there are others but no one is popping into my head at the moment. Is there anyone else? And another thing, how do we know if we're looking at their hair or not? Most of them wear weaves. Gabrielle Union said she buys her hair from Extensions Plus in Essence. We know Tyra wears weaves and lace fronts. She did show a picture of her hair on the show one day though. Queen Latifah has always head a head full of hair but she wears pieces when the job requires it. And with the lacefronts out now, a lot of celebs are still hush about it and just say it's a weave when it's really a wig. If they're in weaves and wigs most of the time, how are we supposed to tell what their hair really looks like natural or not?

Hmm, good point.

Maybe a lot of the celeb women almost have to be natural because they wear so many weaves and pieces (their job requires it I guess), and so maybe it wouldn't really make sense to put weaves on relaxed hair if their hair is usually weaved up for their line of work. :ohwell:

A lot of celebs claim natural, but we have no way of really knowing the truth since most of them wear wigs/weave 99.9% of the time. However, it is possible to get natural hair relaxer straight. I had my natural hair blown out over the weekend, and I am amazed at how straight it is.

Back