Caution for the Wig Wearers

NaturalJoy

Wig Support Thread

Just wanted to share this as a cautionary measure. I have been wearing a wig for a few months. I started b/c I had a broken piece in my crown from a weave that was WAAAAAAY too tight. In any event, I have been taking GREAT care of my hair under the wig, have been conditioning it well (including a leave-in everyday).

I have been experiencing great GROWTH for the most part, however I noticed that there was increased breakage around the already broken part of the crown (it was really weird b/c the broken part was grwoing out nicely but pieces around it begag to break). I knew it was my products b/c I wasn't using anything new so I kept searching for answers. I thought hmm... it must be my stress point (which it is) but there was no stress there.

After much trouble shooting I learned that moist hair under a wig can cause breakage, premature balding and/or the growth of a fungus. I think one of these may be the culprit here as I oil and or mist the spot w/ a leave in and massage it every morning when I wake up. I do this first thing then get in the shower, get dressed then put my wig on berfore leaving the house in the morning. Out of hindsight I can see how this would be common sense, but I guess I just never paid attention or thought that moisturizer in that one little area could cause damage. The rest of my hair is florishing though!

In the end, I say all this to say that wig wearers please do your oiling and conditioning in the evenings. By all means do NOT put moist hair under a wig not even the slightest bit. Ok, maybe that was a little exaggerated, but you get the message.

Happy Hair Growing
NaturalJoy

*** Pardon this post if it was common sense. I just wanted to save ppl from making the mistake I made. To remedy my situation I will now be using MN. In the event that this is a fungus (doubt it, but better to err on the side of caution) I read in another thread that MN cures fungus and reawakens hair folicles to promote growth. Hopefully this will help!!!

Last edited:
I wear a wig too, it's a Beverly Johnson Human Hair wig that's made with a "Millennia Cap" that has open construction which is supposed to improve air circulation.

Is your wig kind of "open" (where you can actually feel your natural hair through the spaces)? I'm concerned b/c I moisturize my hair every morning as well. I've only been wearing my wig for a week and I don't want any unwanted surprises, ie: fungus and breakage.

Just wanted to share this as a cautionary measure. I have been wearing a wig for a few months. I started b/c I had a broken piece in my crown from a weave that was WAAAAAAY too tight. In any event, I have been taking GREAT care of my hair under the wig, have been conditioning it well (including a leave-in everyday).

I have been experiencing great GROWTH for the most part, however I noticed that there was increased breakage around the already broken part of the crown (it was really weird b/c the broken part was grwoing out nicely but pieces around it begag to break). I knew it was my products b/c I wasn't using anything new so I kept searching for answers. I thought hmm... it must be my stress point (which it is) but there was no stress there.

After much trouble shooting I learned that moist hair under a wig can cause breakage, premature balding and/or the growth of a fungus. I think one of these may be the culprit here as I oil and or mist the spot w/ a leave in and massage it every morning when I wake up. I do this first thing then get in the shower, get dressed then put my wig on berfore leaving the house in the morning. Out of hindsight I can see how this would be common sense, but I guess I just never paid attention or thought that moisturizer in that one little area could cause damage. The rest of my hair is florishing though!

In the end, I say all this to say that wig wearers please do your oiling and conditioning in the evenings. By all means do NOT put moist hair under a wig not even the slightest bit. Ok, maybe that was a little exaggerated, but you get the message.

Happy Hair Growing
NaturalJoy

*** Pardon this post if it was common sense (mine is known to fail me every now and then). I just wanted to save ppl from making the mistake I made. To remedy my situation I will now be using MN. In the event that this is a fungus (doubt it, but better to err on the side of caution) I read in another thread that MN cures fungus and reawakens hair folicles to promote growth. Hopefully this will help!!!

No apology needed, you gave some good advice. I wig it at times in the winter. I never would have thought of doing my hair treatments the night before to reduce problems. THANKS.

I have done some research and consulted my medical friends and its definitely NOT fungus (they say you WILL KNOW when you have fungus and I don't exhibit any of the symptoms). So as for the breakage, my WigDiva friend said it is probly due to the wig cap I was wearing and lack of proper venilation ESPECIALLY if you are wearing a wig on a regular basis. She said the fishnet looking ones provide adequate air.

I think I will be ordering a laced wig to carry me through the winter and until this spot grows out (my poor bank account :perplexed). In any event, I just put a dose of MN and MTG concotion on the spot so I hope I will get good results by spring. :yep: I am keeping a good spirit as long as it isn't permanent damage I will be ok :look:

Lastly, does anyone know if their is a wig support thread? If not we should create one, b/c I see from the threads that alot of girls will be wearing wigs in the winter season/windy weather as their protective style. We should come together and help each other out so we can avoid situations like that which occured to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the cautionary! I'm planning on getting a wig for the winter, so any tips on how to care for my hair under it are greatly appreciated :D

Thanks for the info! I'm keeping my hair cornrowed underneath while I wear this wig for a few months, I planned on oiling with BT if not every night, every other night. I'm not going to use heat at all while I'm wearing the wig, always air-drying then braiding it up, keeping this in mind will stop me from ever trying to throw it on when my hair is still damp.

I wear a wig too, it's a Beverly Johnson Human Hair wig that's made with a "Millennia Cap" that has open construction which is supposed to improve air circulation.

Is your wig kind of "open" (where you can actually feel your natural hair through the spaces)? I'm concerned b/c I moisturize my hair every morning as well. I've only been wearing my wig for a week and I don't want any unwanted surprises, ie: fungus and breakage.

I also plan on wearing half wigs (and maybe full wig if I find a nice one) for most of the winter. NJ, the type of wig you're talking about is fine, because that's just like weave tracks. There's a lot of space for your own hair to breath. Moisturizing your hair should be no problem with that type of wig. I will be washing, DCing, braiding and air drying my hair, then in the morning, I will be wearing my half wig. Thank you so much for the warning though. Also ladies, baby your edges (for full wigs) and the parts of the head that the front and back combs are in (for half wigs). Because of the constant tugging in the same spot, it can cause problems.

:bump: for an answer. Is there a wig support thread???
This could be it then! Just edit the topic title in your first post to add "support thread".

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm planning on getting a phony pony so I'm sure some of the tips here will apply. :up:

Thank you this was some good info...I plan to start wearing wigs very soon to help with low manipulation & protective styling....can anyone suggest a good wig cap/liner just in case my wigs do not have good ventilation. :perplexed

This could be it then! Just edit the topic title in your first post to add "support thread".

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm planning on getting a phony pony so I'm sure some of the tips here will apply. :up:

I just did it! We now have a space to share wig 411 :yay:

I know this will be of great value during the winter/windy season :yep:

Happy Wig Wearing!!!

NJ :)

I tried doing this, but it only changed the topic of the first post, not the entire thread. I guess I will just start a new thread unless anyone has any ideas to accomplish this.

Thank you this was some good info...I plan to start wearing wigs very soon to help with low manipulation & protective styling....can anyone suggest a good wig cap/liner just in case my wigs do not have good ventilation. :perplexed

Just the normal wig cap/stocking cap should be good enough to use with your wig. Just make sure your ends are oiled/moisturized and laying flat. I just say that because I know a few people who wear them, but just mash up their hair under the wig cap and throw on a wig. Not proper care for the ends of your hair:nono:

stay away from nylong directly on your hair. I use a satin bonnet first then put my nylon stocking cap on. Your head doesnt feel heavy with it and when you take everything off your hair is nice and soft. stay away from combs in wigs whatever you do .

I just got my 1/2 wig and I see how it can lead to breakage.They sent me a wig cap with it though so I'm going to braid my hair up under it and keep the front out.

Also,I remember reading you could replace the combs with wig clips?Anyone ever do this before?

Those combs in the half wig will most definitely cause breakage. I remove the combs and use hair pins. I have never tried the wig clips but I have heard of someone using those as well.

I just got my 1/2 wig and I see how it can lead to breakage.They sent me a wig cap with it though so I'm going to braid my hair up under it and keep the front out.

Also,I remember reading you could replace the combs with wig clips?Anyone ever do this before?

Those combs in the half wig will most definitely cause breakage. I remove the combs and use hair pins. I have never tried the wig clips but I have heard of someone using those as well.

Good Idea!! I'm going to look into that. Wig Clips and bobby pins would be WAY better than the combs that are in half wigs. Thank you two so much for the idea Natasha and ElleDoll, I've never heard of anyone else doing this until now. I love this idea- I'm going to see if I can do it when I get home!:yep:

I think that is very good info to know. I too wore wigs, I just stopped earlier this week becuase I think it was causeing my hair to matt.

Back