Catching a setback

MsCarmenP

I'm sure there are probably plenty of threads on this topic, but search isn't working, of course.

Anyhow, what do you ladies do to stop a setback in its tracks? When you first notice something is off, what do you do to stop it before it gets too bad?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I was going through something (feeling like crap because I work out a lot and my hair always looked like crap). A few people mentioned bunning. So I did that for a couple of weeks but now part of my hair is broken off, right in the area I'd pin my bun. :sad: Around the same time I started bunning, I also went back to using my vented paddle brush to detangle. So I don't know which one caused the breakage. I'm not going to bun or use the paddle brush anymore. What else can I do?

If it matters, my hair is APL, fine and relaxed. Help!!!

I do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment and the breakage stops immediately.

If the bun is causing the breakage you can change the position or change the way you bun. Try to do it looser. What are you using to secure the bun? Goody spin pins are gentle yet really effective.

Last edited:
Quoting:
I'm a normal porosity natural with low - medium density fine stands. Thick hair strands are about 1/2 the width of the thread. Fine hair strands are about 1/4 the width of standard sewing thread. Density refers to the number of those stands on your scalp. You can have high density hair with fine stands, low density hair with thick strands, and a myriad of combinations in between. Fine hair tends to need more protein treatments to strengthen and add elasticity. IMO fine hair is sensitive to heat styling.

MsCarmenP

Try protein treatment followed by a moisture DC. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
I was changing the position everyday. My bun wasn't really much of a bun lol. Basically I would moisturize and seal, put my hair in a ponytail, tuck it under and pin it down with a bobby pin coated in macadamia oil/castor oil. I did Nexxus Emergencee and a DC last weekend. I don't think it's breaking anymore, but I'll probably do a lighter protein and DC treatment this weekend just to be sure.

ETA: Prettymetty, I just looked at the spin pins. The twisting/spinning thing doesn't cause any damage?

1st: Isolate the Problem:
Too Much Moisture
Too Much Protein
Too Much Heat
Too Much Manipulation
Breakage/Shedding/Bald Spot(s)
Experimentation with new Products
Wrong type of Product or Regimen for your Hair
Overprocessing/Double/Triple Processing
SSK's, Tangles, Knotting
Allergic Reaction to products
Diet
Negligence

2nd Map out a Solution:
Research particular issue

3rd Develop a Regimen:
Develop a Sound Regimen to correct Problem
Don't be afraid to adjust current practices
Monitor Progress
Patience

No, because there are no sharp edges. Just a double helix pin with coated balls on the end. The directions say to use 2 pins, but 1 is usually enough for a basic bun.

Cut down on the moisture and sealing to maybe once every other day or 2x-3x a week. Too much product will cause breakage.

Back