Castor Oil?

My mom used to mix castor oil into whatever grease she used on me and my sister's hair when we were younger, and she swears that's what made our hair grow long, but I don't know for sure, obviously. Now, I mix it with my other essential oils (jojoba, olive, rosemary, coconut) to apply to my hair. It's too sticky to apply alone. I guess it works well; I've got no complaints. It's supposed to thicken the hair though.

I love castor oil. I've used it to seal-in moisture after washing my hair and I've used it as a preshampoo warm oil treatment (it's a lot thinner after you nuke it in the microwave). My hair loves it. I especially like to use it in the winter time because it is so heavy and where I live can get cold at times. HTH!

I wish I can find some of the Black Castor Oil people are raving about.

I use castor oil, the slightly yellow, slightly nutty smelling stuff I get in the Indian grocery store. I mix it with honey and coconut oil for a pre-poo treatment and like it alot.
I tried putting it on my hair straight, before cornrowing.
nono.gif
It was too sticky and made my hair hard to braid.

I just used it on Friday night as a pre-treatment before my shampoo on Saturday. I massaged my scalp and hair with it. Then I put on a plastic shower cap and went to bed. I shampooed my hair wth Motions, conditioned with Henna Queene and Motions Moisture Plus, then did a roller set and wrapped my hair and here it is Sunday and my hair is FANTABULOUS. It is very soft and SHINY. I am going to keep using it as a pre-treatment to see if it is a contributing factor to getting SUPER SOFT SHINY HAIR. I am hoping that with continued use it will help with my hair growth.

Castor oil is okay with me, a bit sticky since the weather is warming up. I should use this as the oil for the winter time. I need to buy some more since I bought the 2 oz bottle. I also wanted to add that when mixing essential oils to it, be careful with the dosage. I didn't realize that rosemary burns. Ouch!!!

I tried castor oil and it worked well, it really help me comb thru my thick type 4 wet hair. I used too much and my hair was really sticky for the first 2 days, by day 4 my hair was so soft and shiny so for 1 whole week I didn't have to put in any other moisturizer in my hair. The castor oil is very effective but you must apply it with a light hand. I like Jojoba oil because it mimics hair's natural oils and it's very light.

It's funny that I foung this post. I had a dream the other night that I found a brand new full bottle of castor oil in a cabinet that I had forgotten I had. I guess I need to go get some!!

I LOVE my Castor Oil... I use Home Health also, and i've diluted with a bit a jojoba oil. I use it on wet hair on the length of my hair, and its the first time in months that my hair doesn't air dry a sloppy mess! Not sure what it is, but is has helped my air drying 200%!

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
Home Health is the brand I use. I found it at Whole Foods. HTH.

[/ QUOTE ]
I ordered mine from the Vitamin Shoppe on sale.

This stuff is great for creating shine and softness. It also works wonders for the scalp before relaxer application (to prevent burning).

frown.gif
i want some. I'm big on using beauty tips from different cultures and i hear egyptians mixed castor oil with sweet almond oil to mask the smell. I wanna try that. Dang being a broke product junkie sucks!

I recently read about a hair growth mixture using castor, coconut, and almond oils mixed with methi (fenugreek) powder. I have all the ingredients but haven't tried it yet. (don't take out my cornrows for another week). I'll let you all know how it smells once its mixed up.

You know I would like to read about that one. Could you give me the name of the site or where I could find it? I have lots of Methi and would like to try it.
smile.gif
Thank You. Bonjour.

Mahalialee, good to see you around!
wave.gif

Here is the recipe:

HAIR GROWTH 200 gms. coconut oil, 100 gms.almond oil and four caps of castor oil. Mixed with 1 tbsp. powdered methi powder. Warm it everytime you use it and is advisable to use overnight. In the morning use steamed towel several times.

Here is the site: http://www.geocities.com/khan_137/hair.html

Back