Castille Soap, Organic Lotion and Porous Hair!!

Sorry its long lol

Recently, I switched to castile soap and goat milk soap for my body because I suffer from very dry skin and it has made a great difference, I will never go back to drugstore soaps again, never. I also will never use regular lotions again, only organic. What a difference they've made. I love Avalon Organics Lemon Lotion, it's amazing on my skin with safe ingredients.

Earlier while washing, I ran out of my Head and Shoulders Shampoo and decided to use my Dr Bronner's Citrus Castile Soap in my hair, it's a liquid and lathered pretty well. Immediately my hair felt SQUEAKY CLEAN and SMOOTH. It was like my cuticles snapped shut. This caused a slight amount of tangling but when I applied conditioner it was remedied. I knew immediately that something VERY different had happened with my hair, it was so smooth. My cuticles were closed and I have VERY Porous hair so that was unusual. I noticed after washing that my hair was wetter when I took it down to apply my leave ins meaning it retained more water than normal.

My hair air dried FLAT with some of the best curl definition I have seen in ages! Later I rewetted my hair and decided to use my rose water and glycerin spray and a good amount of Avalon Organics Lemon lotion and another lotion by them. I smoothed it into wet hair especially in frizzy spots then just threw my turbie twist over. This is better than ANY gel, pomade, mousse, spray, cream, anything that I have ever tried. I have curl definition, my hair is flat, not fly away and the moisture is balanced. I just cannot believe it.
I know it's not a fluke because my hair rejects the most raved about products because of how porous and finicky it is. MY hair hates basically EVERYTHING and I have tried nearly everything. Nearly everything causes dryness including oils for me but with the lotion my hair feels so happy and relaxed, that's the only way to describe it :lol:

Anyway, if you're having porosity issues, I recommend castille liquid soap as shampoo and organic body lotion, it's worth trying :D.

Last edited:
This post is right on time! I just purchased some Dr. Bronners with Tea Tree Oil (there's so many to choose from). I hope that this will help keep my scalp and body eczema under control. What's with all the weird ranting written on the bottle?:look:

I did buy Dr Bronners a few months ago to use as shampoo but I'm trying to finish a bottle of Aussie moist so I can't wait to try it.

Off to wash my hair!! I will wash in twists since that has been working out for me so well lately. I am going into my third week with these twists!

This post is right on time! I just purchased some Dr. Bronners with Tea Tree Oil (there's so many to choose from). I hope that this will help keep my scalp and body eczema under control. What's with all the weird ranting written on the bottle?:look:

That's just the old school Dr. Bronner tradition.

I will have to try that on my hair next time I shampoo. I may mix a little oils with it to keep the dryness at bay...

I have serious porosity issues. No product raved about here or anywhere else works for me. I tried dr bronners though and since my hair is both fine and porous I had very hard time detangling. I will try. Again and dilute it a ltl more.

Sorry its long lol

Recently, I switched to castile soap and goat milk soap for my body because I suffer from very dry skin and it has made a great difference, I will never go back to drugstore soaps again, never. I also will never use regular lotions again, only organic. What a difference they've made. I love Avalon Organics Lemon Lotion, it's amazing on my skin with safe ingredients.

Earlier while washing, I ran out of my Head and Shoulders Shampoo and decided to use my Dr Bronner's Citrus Castile Soap in my hair, it's a liquid and lathered pretty well. Immediately my hair felt SQUEAKY CLEAN and SMOOTH. It was like my cuticles snapped shut. This caused a slight amount of tangling but when I applied conditioner it was remedied. I knew immediately that something VERY different had happened with my hair, it was so smooth. My cuticles were closed and I have VERY Porous hair so that was unusual. I noticed after washing that my hair was wetter when I took it down to apply my leave ins meaning it retained more water than normal.

My hair air dried FLAT with some of the best curl definition I have seen in ages! Later I rewetted my hair and decided to use my rose water and glycerin spray and a good amount of Avalon Organics Lemon lotion and another lotion by them. I smoothed it into wet hair especially in frizzy spots then just threw my turbie twist over. This is better than ANY gel, pomade, mousse, spray, cream, anything that I have ever tried. I have curl definition, my hair is flat, not fly away and the moisture is balanced. I just cannot believe it.
I know it's not a fluke because my hair rejects the most raved about products because of how porous and finicky it is. MY hair hates basically EVERYTHING and I have tried nearly everything. Nearly everything causes dryness including oils for me but with the lotion my hair feels so happy and relaxed, that's the only way to describe it :lol:

Anyway, if you're having porosity issues, I recommend castille liquid soap as shampoo and organic body lotion, it's worth trying :D.

Where do you purchase the Avalon Organics Lemon Lotion? Oh, and what other lotion did you use:grin: TIA

That's just the old school Dr. Bronner tradition.

I will have to try that on my hair next time I shampoo. I may mix a little oils with it to keep the dryness at bay...

Okay, so I used it on my entire body and hair. Not bad, although I probably should have diluted it. I have decided to let my hair dry a bit, see how it feels, and maybe condition it. It really is a lot milder than my usual shampoo (sulfur 8). My scalp feels great so far!

Thank you for posting. I use Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Liquid soap and some of their bar soaps exclusively on my body. I recently stopped using cones so I'll probably be start using Dr. Bronner's on my head again.

Also, my skin is extremely dry due to living in AZ. I've tried everything but I stay so ashy. I also drink a ton of water but that isn't helping ash. I will give your lotion recommendation a try.

Update:

NO bad news, I always have bad news as an update or no update :lol: My hair looks so pretty and is so manageable. I LOVE ORGANIC stuff. I got next day hair, my hair is NEVER good the next day when it's curly, it's always dry or coated or nasty. I put more Avalon Organics Lemon Lotion on and my it hasn't caused any any dryness.
Very happy. I will continue to update because products always fail my hair.

Ladies , please try these products, I feel confident that you'll love them if you have dry skin and dry hair and NOTHING seems to work. The ingredients are so much better and safer than drugstore crap. When you put a lotion full of harmful chemicals (like most drugstore brands) on, they are seeping into your body through your pores so why not use the least dangerous ones.

I'm excited to wash my hair again with the Dr Bronners, even my scalp is not it's usual itchy self.

Where do you purchase the Avalon Organics Lemon Lotion? Oh, and what other lotion did you use:grin: TIA
OndoGirl, I get them at Vitacost.com. The other lotion is the Olive Oil and Grapeseed from Avalon Organics as well. They both work in my hair and on my body AMAZINGLY. If these work for everyone as they do for me they will never be in stock again :lol: :(.

@SerenavanderWoodsen Do you still use this? It sounds wonderful. I'm about to buy a big bottle from amazon....mainly for a body wash but after reading this I'm excited to try it on my hair.

Last edited:
I tried the Lavender one, thanks SerenavanderWoodsen. I love it for my porous hair. It really does seem to snap the cuticle shut. I been using it for my body too. I'm wondering how often I can use it on my hair.

I tried my peppermint one out and was surprised that it didn't strip the life out of my hair. I'll be revisiting this soon.

It's actually sort of happy hippie bible stuff on the bottle, it's nice to read in the tub lol. :lol:

Should've posted this great discovery in the high porosity thread lol. I never thought my strands could feel so smooth. I just thought I had coarse hair.

i mix several drops of castile soap in my conditioner and it has the opposite effect on my hair. it helps to open the cuticle and help with hydration. i have low porosity. i will try a little on myself and my son. i will get him a different scent. i try to stay away from using things with lavender in them for boy/men. i read it lowers their sperm count.

I may try this for my next shampoo. Do any of you dilute it?

@grownwomanaz - We have a high porosity thread?? :yay:
Yeah girlie, I was surprised not to see ya in there lol. I remembered reading that you have this issue too.

I was apprehensive about trying it initially. I just made sure my head was saturated with water, poured a little in my hand and worked in for a hot second then rinsed it out. I could tell right away that something different had happened. Now, my hair is still a little frizzy, but my strands are a lot smoother than they were.

ETA: My siggy is a 5 day old twist out. It was a lot less frizzy on the first day.

Last edited:
I can't believe I missed this thread. I have heinously porous hair. I think my mom has some lavender castile soap. Will try this next weekend. How much do ppl dilute it?

i mix several drops of castile soap in my conditioner and it has the opposite effect on my hair. it helps to open the cuticle and help with hydration. i have low porosity. i will try a little on myself and my son. i will get him a different scent. i try to stay away from using things with lavender in them for boy/men. i read it lowers their sperm count.

This is what I thought about Castille soap, for low-po people it opens the cuticle but for high-po people it closes them??? Interesting, so it is self-adjusting to the need of the environment?? Hmmmm.... off the research..

Back