Caruso Steam Rollers Naturals and Texlaxer Regime

rawsilk

I keep reading rave reviews about these but can't get past the memory of (thinking I was grown and) trying to set my damp hair on pink sponge rollers the night before my sixth grade picture. (Suffice it to say, grades 1-5 and 7-12 are on the wall at Mom's house but 6th grade is conspicuously missing -- a HOT, hazmat mess:afropick:). Anyway, I love the thought of using steam and a conditioning treatment to revive the shine and definition in my texlax roller set / curly fro after day 3 or so. I HATE dullness and frizz -- I can deal with limp curls, too-tight curls, kinks, hard hair -- anything but frizz and dullness - yuck. Up until now, all of my efforts to revive are resulting in more heat (from hot curler or hot rollers) or manipulation (from rewashing or resetting) than I think is necessary. Could it be that Caruso Steam rollers are the holy grail of hair tools????

So, here's what I would love to know from you ladies who swear my these rollers:

1. What state of straightness is your hair in before you put them in? (E.g.,freshly blow dried, air dried, silk wrapped or tired roller set or twist out.)

2. What products are already in your hair before you put them in? (E.g., leave -in, serum, creams, regular conditioner, oils, butters, growth aides, setting lotion, etc.)

3. This might be slightly different than the answer to 2, what products do you use with the rollers when you use them, i.e., right before you put the roller in your hair? (E.g., I'm thinking about Cantu Shea Butter leave-in but wonder if it will mess up the foam on the roller.)

4. How long do you steam the rollers on the thing-a-ma-gig?

5. How long do you leave the rollers in your hair?

6. Again, this might be different than 5, is your hair completely dry/set when you take them out or do you allow time for another drying/setting method?

7. What do you do to maintain the steam roller set? (E.g. seal with an anti-humectrant like Sabino or Avedo, reapply oils/lotions, mist and reset, do a pineapple pin-up at night, etc.)

8. How long does your style last?

9. Can/do you use this method in-place of a regular steam treatment?

10. If you have ever experimented with any methods/products that completely messed up your set and/or gave you disappointing results, please give me a heads up. (E.g., using them on hair that isn't dry/stretched at all.)

Thanks ladies -- I can't wait to see your responses. (I always think that my hair methods are kind of clever until I read the ingenious combinations and processes that women on LHCF come up with -- we should all be proud.)

Peace & hair grease!

KDReese23 - sure, I'm curious. (I would think that care has to be taken for relaxed hair too - otherwise you don't get desired result - right?)

1. What state of straightness is your hair in before you put them in? (E.g.,freshly blow dried, air dried, silk wrapped or tired roller set or twist out.)
As a natural, my hair is always pressed/straightened before I use the rollers. Depending on how long it had been since I straightened my hair, I might even do a light blow out before using them. When I was relaxed, I always set the rollers on fresh washed, DC, sealed, and straightened hair.

2. What products are already in your hair before you put them in? (E.g., leave -in, serum, creams, regular conditioner, oils, butters, growth aides, setting lotion, etc.)
My hair will likely have some hair oils on it because it's been straightened, along with any leave in and heat protectant that I used when it was blown out and pressed. I don't use additional setting lotions on my dry natural hair because that would cause a poofy mess. I don't even use additional heat protectant because there's no direct heat - just steam.

3. This might be slightly different than the answer to 2, what products do you use with the rollers when you use them, i.e., right before you put the roller in your hair? (E.g., I'm thinking about Cantu Shea Butter leave-in but wonder if it will mess up the foam on the roller.)
I don't use anything aside from any oils/products that are still in my hair.

Just a few seconds. I have a system that I think I read in the directions: 10-15 seconds for jumbo rollers; 7-10 for large; 5-7 for medium; 3-5 for small and petite. Sometimes, I will get distracted and the roller will get too wet, when that happens, I set that roller aside, allow it to cool/dry, and get another one.

I leave them in until they are cool - usually 15-20 minutes. Typically, I set my hair while I do make up and get dressed and take them out to style my hair just before leaving the house. If the rollers are not cool in 15-20 minutes, I leave them in until they are. Removing the roller before it cools completely will mean a looser curl.

6. Again, this might be different than 5, is your hair completely dry/set when you take them out or do you allow time for another drying/setting method?
Yes. My hair is always completely dry. The very first time I used these rollers on my own (back in the 90s), I didn't do it right and my hair was damp when I took the rollers out because I allowed them to get too wet. But if you don't do that, you should be fine. :)

7. What do you do to maintain the steam roller set? (E.g. seal with an anti-humectrant like Sabino or Avedo, reapply oils/lotions, mist and reset, do a pineapple pin-up at night, etc.)
One of the selling points of this device back in the 90's was that you did not have to roll your hair up at night, and refreshing the curls was as simple as shake and go. When I was relaxed that was very true for me. I could set my hair the day before, wrap my hair at night, and then the next day I would take down my wrap and my hair would still have nice body with some curls remaining. That could last a few days on my relaxed hair. As a natural, that doesn't happen for me. So, as a natural, I just re-roll the following day.

All day if I use a hairspray, and depending on the time of year. Fall/Winter my hair lasts all day. Summer, I'm lucky to make to lunch time.

I don't know.

10. If you have ever experimented with any methods/products that completely messed up your set and/or gave you disappointing results, please give me a heads up. (E.g., using them on hair that isn't dry/stretched at all.)
Just what you typed. Don't use them on hair that is not completely dry or stretched or else your hair will be a frizzy pouf. For best results straighten your hair first and make sure that you comb through your strands well. Clumped hair on the roller means thick curls that will frizz when you try to separate them.

Also, like I wrote above, make sure that the roller is hot and not wet. If you notice a lot of moisture on the roller, set it aside and steam another.

For some visual help, I know that Taren (Sorry, I don't know her channel name on Youtube) and LeobodyC5 (also from Youtube) both have Caruso Curler tutorials. You may want to check them out. I am partial to Leobody because I really like her hair, and she does a great tutorial on setting her hair.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

Last edited:
I've used them on dirty, blow-dried hair, and also to save a terrible, frizzy mess of a blowout.

I blowdry my hair with MoroccanOil Regular Oil Treatment & either ASK or Garnier Fructis Blowdry Perfector.

I don't use anything at all with them, the steam alone is enough to set the curl.

For 5-10 seconds, and I steam the covers while I roll the roller up.

After my hair is all rolled up, I either let them sit until they've cooled down, or blast them with a 10 second blast of hot, then cool air to dry up any water & set the curl.

Yes, my hair is fully dry when I take them down.

Nothing really, I usually just wear my hair down the first day, and either down or in a pony the next.

I don't keep it for longer than 1-2 days.

I've never tried any other kind of steam treatment

I think trying this on air-dried or wet hair wouldn't turn out decent results.

Here's a pic of my before/after, and you can find my tutorial on YouTube :yep:

styledhair2.jpg

Last edited:
prettybyrd, LaurenMechelle

Thank you for taking the time to answer and provide step-by-step. I picked up my set of Caruso Steamers from Ulta last night. After I finish my coffee, I'm going to experiment. My hair is rollerset / curling iron bumped from two days ago. I really need a touch up (2 inches of crazy new growth from doubling up on vitamin d3 over the last month) so I'm managing my expectations re results. By the way, I co-sign re prettybyrd's comments on your hair laurenmechelle -- after looking at your siggy and video, my texlax touchup miiiiiiiiight just become more of a regular relaxer.

Additional question: is there any downside to leaving them in for a lot longer? i.e. after they have cooled down? (Back in the day when I used regular hot rollers on relaxed hair or weave, I would leave the cooled down rollers in for hours while I worked out, cleaned the house, read emails, etc. etc.) Wonder if there is any danger of reverting/reabsorbing ...

Additional question: is there any downside to leaving them in for a lot longer? i.e. after they have cooled down? (Back in the day when I used regular hot rollers on relaxed hair or weave, I would leave the cooled down rollers in for hours while I worked out, cleaned the house, read emails, etc. etc.) Wonder if there is any danger of reverting/reabsorbing ...

I don't think so. Now of course if you workout in this with natural hair, you may experience some puffiness at the roots, but I doubt that there will be any effect on your hair in the rollers.

I can't wait to hear how you like them - and see pics of your results! :)

KDReese23 - sure, I'm curious. (I would think that care has to be taken for relaxed hair too - otherwise you don't get desired result - right?)
Honestly I don't think I've ever used these rollers and not gotten nice results, but I definitely think there's a method to the madness.

1. What state of straightness is your hair in before you put them in? (E.g.,freshly blow dried, air dried, silk wrapped or tired roller set or twist out.) I try not to use any heat on my hair so I normally use them after an air dried wet wrap. I've finally figured out how to achieve body and life with an air dried wrap but I'm over the straight hair for now. I've gotten into volume in my old age and the Carusos really help to give me full bouncy curls. (always get compliments). I also used them after a roller set has lost it's luster. I'll usually wrap an old roller set the night before and just use the Carusos in the morning. It gives me kind of a Farrah Fawcett wispy look.

2. What products are already in your hair before you put them in? (E.g., leave -in, serum, creams, regular conditioner, oils, butters, growth aides, setting lotion, etc.) Normally I'll have a leave in conditioner, Chi Silk Infusion, and Jane Carter Roller/Wrap styling mousse (or something like that).

3. This might be slightly different than the answer to 2, what products do you use with the rollers when you use them, i.e., right before you put the roller in your hair? (E.g., I'm thinking about Cantu Shea Butter leave-in but wonder if it will mess up the foam on the roller.) I've found that my hair needs to be properly moisturized for these curls to come out right; otherwise I get frizz as soon as I walk out of the door. I usually moisturize right before with Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine and then seal with grape seed oil.

4. How long do you steam the rollers on the thing-a-ma-gig? I always take them off around 8 seconds. If you leave them on much longer they're going to be soaked and your hair will be a hot mess! Make sure you tap the roller on the sink or a hard surface so that you shake off any excess water.

5. How long do you leave the rollers in your hair? It depends on the look I'm going for. If I am in a straight hair mood, I'll leave them on just long enough for me to roll my entire head. Then I'll take them out and wrap my hair, do my makeup and comb it down. By that time I have a nice bend with good body. Otherwise I normally get up in the morning, roll them before I do anything else, eat, shower and get dressed and then take them down. I guess that's about an hour - an hour and a half. That's when I get a really curly look. Very pretty. (Normally when I do that I don't necessarily have to do anything to my hair the next day...unless I work out that day).

6. Again, this might be different than 5, is your hair completely dry/set when you take them out or do you allow time for another drying/setting method? If I understand your question properly, my hair is completely dry.

7. What do you do to maintain the steam roller set? (E.g. seal with an anti-humectrant like Sabino or Avedo, reapply oils/lotions, mist and reset, do a pineapple pin-up at night, etc.) Normally I don't have to do anything but I'll sometimes spray it with Chi or Moroccan holding spray.

8. How long does your style last? One day for that particular style but it will last subsequent days as the curls fall (if I don't workout).

9. Can/do you use this method in-place of a regular steam treatment? Not sure. :-/

10. If you have ever experimented with any methods/products that completely messed up your set and/or gave you disappointing results, please give me a heads up. (E.g., using them on hair that isn't dry/stretched at all.) Not really. Even if it doesn't necessarily look like I wanted it to, or was expecting it to, I've always been able to do something to it to pull it off.

I hope this helps! Please share your results.

prettybyrd, LaurenMechelle

Thank you for taking the time to answer and provide step-by-step. I picked up my set of Caruso Steamers from Ulta last night. After I finish my coffee, I'm going to experiment. My hair is rollerset / curling iron bumped from two days ago. I really need a touch up (2 inches of crazy new growth from doubling up on vitamin d3 over the last month) so I'm managing my expectations re results. By the way, I co-sign re prettybyrd's comments on your hair laurenmechelle -- after looking at your siggy and video, my texlax touchup miiiiiiiiight just become more of a regular relaxer.

rawsilk, how much was your set? I went to sally's today and they wanted $53 dollars! I told that child they were selling those sets for way too much. I don't remember them costing that much back in the day!

Oh and LaurenMechelle I fully blame you :)) ) for my PJ resurgence. New CHI hairdryer, Garnier products, and now a new Caruso set. I thank you for the tutorials and for teaching an old dog new tricks!

prettybyrd, LaurenMechelle Thank you for taking the time to answer and provide step-by-step. I picked up my set of Caruso Steamers from Ulta last night. After I finish my coffee, I'm going to experiment. My hair is rollerset / curling iron bumped from two days ago. I really need a touch up (2 inches of crazy new growth from doubling up on vitamin d3 over the last month) so I'm managing my expectations re results. By the way, I co-sign re prettybyrd's comments on your hair laurenmechelle -- after looking at your siggy and video, my texlax touchup miiiiiiiiight just become more of a regular relaxer.
Aw thanks! Happy to help - I love my Carusos!

I've left them in for longer, and it doesn't affect the curl at all, it protects them until you take the rollers out. I would just make sure that the rollers are all the way dry (I blast mine with the blow dryer), because the excess droplets of hair could make your roots puffy.

I just borrowed my cousins Caruso steam rollers. I hope I can achieve similar results Update: (1st attempt) Update 2: Failed Attempt Note 2 self - don't keep rollers on extra long when having lots of new growth.
Aw man! Next time, try blasting each roller with a 5 second blast of hot, then cool air with a blow dryer - that'll quickly dry up any excess water & your roots won't get puffy, then you can leave them in as long as you want. You could also start them lower down so they don't hit your roots, but then the curls would just be on the ends.

You and your hair are gorgeous!
Thank you!!

LaurenMechelle I fully blame you :)) ) for my PJ resurgence. New CHI hairdryer, Garnier products, and now a new Caruso set. I thank you for the tutorials and for teaching an old dog new tricks!
Haha thanks! No problem, glad they helped! FYI - I bought my set off Amazon for $30 - here's a link to a set for $32, with free shipping, (free 2-day shipping if you're an Amazon Prime member). http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002JKPB8

Last edited:
I paid about $40 - 45 for mine at Ulta. (Pretty sure they have them at Ulta.com as well.) Wait until they have one of those sales/coupons.

rawsilk, how much was your set? I went to sally's today and they wanted $53 dollars! I told that child they were selling those sets for way too much. I don't remember them costing that much back in the day!

Oh and LaurenMechelle I fully blame you :)) ) for my PJ resurgence. New CHI hairdryer, Garnier products, and now a new Caruso set. I thank you for the tutorials and for teaching an old dog new tricks!

Came out GREAT first day. By second, I was getting poof. I think it was because I am sooo dang hard headed and just HAD to apply a "little" cream leave-in before second use. (This despite excellent advice from you, LaurenMechelle and others -- what is wrong with me? Is my product addiction THAT bad? LOL) Anyway, hair is flat ironed bone straight with a lot of oil and back in a bun right now. Next time I go quasi-natch, will use them and promise to post pics.

I don't think so. Now of course if you workout in this with natural hair, you may experience some puffiness at the roots, but I doubt that there will be any effect on your hair in the rollers.

I can't wait to hear how you like them - and see pics of your results! :)

Thank you for your reply. I think that I am seeing a pattern here; i.e., oil/seal needs to be the last thing on your hair. Otherwise, the water (however minimal) in a leave-in cream just doesn't dry and you get pouf - right?
Honestly I don't think I've ever used these rollers and not gotten nice results, but I definitely think there's a method to the madness.

1. What state of straightness is your hair in before you put them in? (E.g.,freshly blow dried, air dried, silk wrapped or tired roller set or twist out.) I try not to use any heat on my hair so I normally use them after an air dried wet wrap. I've finally figured out how to achieve body and life with an air dried wrap but I'm over the straight hair for now. I've gotten into volume in my old age and the Carusos really help to give me full bouncy curls. (always get compliments). I also used them after a roller set has lost it's luster. I'll usually wrap an old roller set the night before and just use the Carusos in the morning. It gives me kind of a Farrah Fawcett wispy look.

2. What products are already in your hair before you put them in? (E.g., leave -in, serum, creams, regular conditioner, oils, butters, growth aides, setting lotion, etc.) Normally I'll have a leave in conditioner, Chi Silk Infusion, and Jane Carter Roller/Wrap styling mousse (or something like that).

3. This might be slightly different than the answer to 2, what products do you use with the rollers when you use them, i.e., right before you put the roller in your hair? (E.g., I'm thinking about Cantu Shea Butter leave-in but wonder if it will mess up the foam on the roller.) I've found that my hair needs to be properly moisturized for these curls to come out right; otherwise I get frizz as soon as I walk out of the door. I usually moisturize right before with Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine and then seal with grape seed oil.

4. How long do you steam the rollers on the thing-a-ma-gig? I always take them off around 8 seconds. If you leave them on much longer they're going to be soaked and your hair will be a hot mess! Make sure you tap the roller on the sink or a hard surface so that you shake off any excess water.

5. How long do you leave the rollers in your hair? It depends on the look I'm going for. If I am in a straight hair mood, I'll leave them on just long enough for me to roll my entire head. Then I'll take them out and wrap my hair, do my makeup and comb it down. By that time I have a nice bend with good body. Otherwise I normally get up in the morning, roll them before I do anything else, eat, shower and get dressed and then take them down. I guess that's about an hour - an hour and a half. That's when I get a really curly look. Very pretty. (Normally when I do that I don't necessarily have to do anything to my hair the next day...unless I work out that day).

6. Again, this might be different than 5, is your hair completely dry/set when you take them out or do you allow time for another drying/setting method? If I understand your question properly, my hair is completely dry.

7. What do you do to maintain the steam roller set? (E.g. seal with an anti-humectrant like Sabino or Avedo, reapply oils/lotions, mist and reset, do a pineapple pin-up at night, etc.) Normally I don't have to do anything but I'll sometimes spray it with Chi or Moroccan holding spray.

8. How long does your style last? One day for that particular style but it will last subsequent days as the curls fall (if I don't workout).

9. Can/do you use this method in-place of a regular steam treatment? Not sure. :-/

10. If you have ever experimented with any methods/products that completely messed up your set and/or gave you disappointing results, please give me a heads up. (E.g., using them on hair that isn't dry/stretched at all.) Not really. Even if it doesn't necessarily look like I wanted it to, or was expecting it to, I've always been able to do something to it to pull it off.

I hope this helps! Please share your results.

I'm relaxed and have used these for at least 6 years. I love them. My main point of advice would be to not let them stay on the unit for long. I probably leave them on 6 seconds or less, I may leave them in my hair for as much as 10 mins as I get dressed in the mornings. The curl lasts, it works great to refresh a rollerset as well. I always buy mine from Sally's and pay approx. 30-35.00.

I returned 'em. :( I just don't think that my hair is thick/long enough to wear out yet without a lot of manipulation. I'm in a couple of challenges so maybe I will re-purchase next year when I have more to work with. For now, buns, buns, buns after first day of roller set zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back