Carolyn Gray's book and regimen-reviews?

Integrity

Carolyn Gray\'s book and regimen-reviews?

Just wondering if anyone has the book and -or has followed her regimen. I love her book, lots of good tips and well organized but couldnt be bothered to follow the 6 week regimen. It give me a very good basis to develop my own though! seems to be a PJ book, many many products! she is also very very good with email queries.

cathy howse, on the other hand, has a somewhat, simpler regimen...

Re: Carolyn Gray\'s book and regimen-reviews?

Hi Pandora,

I don't have her book, but I would be interested in reading it. I'm going to order it. Did you say this seems to be a PJ book?
Maybe I'll wait till after I'm done with my "12 step program" for PJ's. /images/graemlins/computer.gif

pebbles, if you are thinking of ordering her book you might want to WAIT since a newer updated edition is coming out soon!! i know for sure that a significant number of her ideas from her earlier books have changed! so hang on! i think more or less, most of the ladies already do her regimen even if its not so organised. the most basic principle is using different shampoos, treatments and conditioners to reap the different benefits each week. for those who are not aware, her website address is www.blackwomansguide.com

i love her update section with fotos and all!

Pandora is her book listed on Amazon or can you only get it from her site?

you can get her book from amazon. but i think only the US amazon stock it, not sure though

If you order from the UK amazon, you should still be able to get it. I did this with the shamboosie book. I think amazon ship it out from the US at no extra cost.

What's the exact title of the book? (The new one if you know in advance)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
If you order from the UK amazon, you should still be able to get it. I did this with the shamboosie book. I think amazon ship it out from the US at no extra cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!! i sure have wasted money in the past /images/graemlins/mad.gif i didnt know that.

her book is not out yet, she is still writing it! if i was still in london you could've borrowed my copy /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pandora said:
Just wondering if anyone has the book and -or has followed her regimen. I love her book, lots of good tips and well organized but couldnt be bothered to follow the 6 week regimen. It give me a very good basis to develop my own though! seems to be a PJ book, many many products! she is also very very good with email queries.

cathy howse, on the other hand, has a somewhat, simpler regimen...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pandora, don't tease me! *laughing* What are her methods? What is the basic theme of her regimen? Gimme sumthin' girl! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

leshia, i gave a quick summary of the essence of her book above. but i will give you more details when i have the book at hand another time...

Thanks Pandora, I'll wait for the updated book. I know a lot of women read her book and like her advice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey ladieez
I have Carolyn's book and it was one of the first I purchased concerning hair care. In my view, it is for someone JUST beginning a healthy hair routine. I really wouldn't suggest it for someone involved in healthy hair care for 6 months or longer or a person that is having success with current regimene. Her basic principals is advocating air drying (ponytail method), no heat regimene, Caruso Steamer, and professionals for coloring, cutting, relaxing. She shows you how to wrap your hair, create spiral curls, and other styling information. She gives you 6 weeks of hair care and details products for each week. She gives you suggestions for certain products (Motions, Aphogee) conditioners and shampoos. She puts a TON of stuff in her hair at one time. She uses like 3 or 4 leave in conditioners and puts 2 conditioners in her hair at one time while sitting under a heating cap. She believes in excessive use of gels, hair shiners, &amp; setting lotions. She recommends a ton of products. Too many for my taste. And I am a STRAIGHT UP product JUNKIE! I wouldnt know what worked and what wouldnt. A lot of her recommendations contain SLS, mineral oils, and etc. She has healthy habits (ie oiling the ends) but doesnt distinguish enough details concerning the difference between oils and hair moisture. Don't get me wrong I like her book ($25) but think that most of the ladies on the board have already surpassed the book. The bad part about it is the majority of the book repeats itself EXACTLY but changes the products. LEt me explain-she says in week one you moisturize, week 2 you need a protein (not necessarily in that order) but she gives you specific directions on week 1 then repeats the steps word by word for week 2 but just changes the products. I would say check your library first before buying it.

I really wouldn't suggest it for someone involved in healthy hair care for 6 months or longer or a person that is having success with current regimene. Her basic principals is advocating air drying (ponytail method), no heat regimene, Caruso Steamer, and professionals for coloring, cutting, relaxing. She shows you how to wrap your hair, create spiral curls, and other styling information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah-ha!! She advocates air drying too? So does Cathy Howes.
She uses a lot of products at once? Interesting. I don't know that I could do that either. How do you know what works and what doesn't? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

if u read carefully, carol does say you should tailor the leave-ins according to how the hair looks and feels like instead of blindly putting it all in.

i like the way she gives room for individual tastes and prefs. she doesnt say you must follow MY regimen for long healthy hair unlike some people.

Pebbles/Leshia,
I think I have her e-mail version from a year ago if you are interested.

pebbles said:
Hi Pandora,

I don't have her book, but I would be interested in reading it. I'm going to order it. Did you say this seems to be a PJ book?
Maybe I'll wait till after I'm done with my "12 step program" for PJ's. /images/graemlins/computer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pebbles,
I have the book if you want it. I read it before I bought Shamboosie and Cathy Howse's books.

nita! i would also love a copy. her book is kinda chunky-talk about a REFERENCE BOOK!! your PM is not on. please enable it so i can send you my email. thanks!

Hi Nita4,

Send me her email version. My email is listed. Thanks! /images/graemlins/user.gif

BronxDiva,

You are a rose! /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif
Nita4 is going to send me the email version. If it looks good, I'll be contacting you for the book. Thanks girl! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ladies, I'm so bummed. My computer won't let send out. Moving extremly slow.

Nita?? Could you please be so kind as to email me a copy also?? It sounds like just the information I need. I am not having any luck with all these products that I am buying.

Many thanks!
Compassion /images/graemlins/angel.gif

Ladies I would love to send, but the files are too big and my computer won't send. I tried one file at a time and that doesn't work either. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't know how else to get it to you. Except download to a diskette and mail??? So Sorry.

Her website is www.blackwomansguide.com.

The basic tips are:
1. No one hair care product can guarantee perfect hair. So, don’t believe ads for products that make these claims. Healthy, gorgeous hair is achieved through the use of a number of quality products, a consistent hair care program and a qualified hair professional if chemical products are used.

2. No hair care products can replace good daily hair care, no matter how good they are. You cannot abuse your hair and expect even the best products to deliver on their claims. If you continue to hot curl your hair every day, don’t be surprised if the wonderful moisturizer that you are using, which claims to prevent split-ends and eliminate breakage, is not working. When you improve your hair care habits, the claims of the products you are using may turn out to be true.

3. When combing your hair, use the widest tooth comb available. If you see a lot of hair in your comb after you use it, or if you have a hard time combing through your hair, the teeth of your comb may be too close together. To further reduce breakage caused by combing, try detangling your hair with your fingers before combing. If your hair is relaxed, it should not be combed all the way through more than two to three times a week. Most days I just finger-comb my hair, and if your hair is well-conditioned, like it will be as you follow the Six-Week Regimen, you should be able to get away with this, especially for relaxed or fine hair.

4. Before going to bed, spray your hair with Fantasia IC P.M. Night-Time Oil Treatment (you may also substitute Isoplus Oil Sheen Hair Spray if you don’t have the Fantasia product), and put on the satin cap that comes with it. Do this treatment at least three times a week. However, the oil is light enough to use every night if you choose. Not only does it protect your hair, but it also gives your hair a mini hot-oil treatment!

5. Do a night-time ends treatment once or twice a week (in addition to or in place of Tip #4, above) – apply Dark &amp; Lovely Hair Restore &amp; Repair Therapy or Pro-Line Perm Repair to the ends after spraying hair with Fantasia IC P.M. Night-Time Oil Treatment. Cover hair with a satin scarf or cap. This is great if you are trying to increase the length of your hair or just trying to have healthy ends. Combined with trimming hair regularly, minimal combing/brushing, and limited heat styling, this treatment is a great way to eliminate split-ends and breakage. Since I started doing this, my hair stylist barely has to trim anything when I get my ends trimmed – even she is amazed by the results!

5. Do not use hair weaves or braids that require glue or that pull your hair very tightly! If someone is braiding your hair too tightly, tell them immediately. Also, do not add lengthy or heavy extensions/braids on weak, thinning or damaged hair.

6. Leave the coloring or frosting of your hair to professional hair stylists. I remember when I was a teenager, my mother decided to color her own hair using a drug store hair coloring product. A major mishap occurred, and she was covering a bald spot in the back of her head for months! Also, more recently, Kellie Shanygne Williams (Laura from TV’s Family Matters) told a story in the March/April 1998 edition of Sophisticate’s Black Hair Styles and Care Guide of a time where she tried to frost her hair using a drug store hair frosting kit. She too suffered a major mishap – her hair fell out at the root! She said this is one of the reasons she went with a short hair cut. So, as I said before, leave the coloring or frosting to the professionals. The same thing goes for relaxers. Your hair is too important to take chances.

7) Instead of a curling iron or electric curlers, invest in a Richard Caruso Molecular Steam Hairsetter to curl your hair. Not only is it healthier for your ends and hair, but it will reduce the amount of time spent curling your hair daily and weekly.

Avoid pulling hair back tightly, or using a headband (this is my biggest weakness) in the same style for more than three times a week -- this will help prevent breakage or patches along the hairline. This is especially important for little girls, who all too many times have their hair pulled into such tight pony-tails it even looks painful. Unfortunately, these little girs often have hair that is thin or patchy around the edges. To avoid long-term scalp damage, loosen up those pony-tails -- for all ages!

9) If any product makes your hair dry, hard and/or brittle (includes gels, spritzes, glues and hair sprays) -- stop using them immediately. Anything that does this will cause you to have excessive breakage.

Carolyn Gray\'s tips (VERY LONG)

Also, I got these from her newsletters, which she sent to me. They are large files because it contains a lot of graphics.
Warning: LONG!!

Hair Shedding or Breakage

First, a certain amount of shedding is normal – my hair sheds quite a bit, but everyone's hair is different However, most people experience shedding (you see full strands of hair that have fallen out), but some also experience breakage (you see broken strands of hair in your comb or brush or on the floor). Like I said a certain amount of shedding is fine, but breakage is more of a symptom of how hair is treated on a daily or week-in-week-out basis. So, with that said, if you think you have more shedding than can be considered normal or excessive breakage, there are a number of areas you will want to look at within your own personal hair care regimen:

1) Are you going to a licensed stylist that you really trust to put in your
relaxers? The reason I ask is because damage can be done if a relaxer is too strong or if touch-ups are done too frequently or if the chemical is placed on already relaxed hair (overlapping). Does she put you under the dryer with a deep conditioner each time your touch-up is done? Also does she set your hair most of the time instead of blow drying and hot curling? If not, this can cause shedding and breakage. However, if your stylist is good and you trust her, stick with her -- do not put your own relaxers in, you will only make the problem worse. Leave the chemicals to trained professionals.

2) Are you shampooing your hair regularly (e.g. once a week, or whatever works for you) with products designed for black hair? You mentioned some of the ones I recommend in the book, like Motions and Aphogee -- keep using those, or you can also try Doo Gro Moisturizing Growth Shampoo.
3) Do you follow your shampoo with a deep conditioner (sitting under a dryer/heating cap at least 15 minutes with the conditioner on your hair) at least 3 to four times a month? This is especially important if you regularly use heat appliances on your hair. Also, are you following this treatment with good leave-in conditioners like the ones mentioned in the book? Some of those help to minimize dryness and brittleness, which can help alleviate breakage and shedding.

4) Also, how are you drying your hair after you shampoo? You should not be blow drying more than once a month, if possible. My book recommends ways for air drying your hair naturally. This is what I do, week-in-and-week-out.
5) Are you using a curling iron, flat iron, or electric curlers more than twice a week? If so, you are literally burning your already damaged hair (I call it "damaged" because for us to get straight hair when God gave us kinky hair, we have to change its molecular structure, thereby damaging it) to a crisp. In my book, I give a few alternatives to regular heat styling. One way is a steam hairsetter, which is what I have used for over 8 years when I want curls. This appliance adds moisture to hair instead of drying it out, like curling irons. I also periodically do twist/plait sets.
6) At night are you sleeping in a silk/satin cap? You would not believe how drying regular pillow cases are on hair, which also may cause unnecessary
shedding/breakage.

7) Do you comb your hair from root to end more than 2-3 times a week? Do you brush your hair from root to ends to detangle it? If so, stop it -- this is one of the biggest causes of breakage and shedding. My book talks about this in detail. Try to detangle and style your hair using your fingers as much as possible. When combing, start from the ends working your way up.
Also, I use brushes that black men typically use to smooth out styles, but I
never brush my hair to detangle it. If you want to massage or stimulate the
scalp, use your fingers!

8) Finally, are you oiling your scalp at least once a week? If not, you should be. I use Wild Growth hair oil.

Hopefully, this helps. More information is in the book, if you have not already purchased it.

Natural/Relaxed Hair Care Regimen

Depending on the condition of the hair, you can try one or more of these conditioners throughout the month as suggested in the book.
After natural hair is hydrated and deep-conditioned, just as with relaxed hair, there is a need for added protection from blow dryers, hot combs, combing/brushing, etc. To get this added protection, the book recommends leave-in treatments be used after shampooing and conditioning. The book recommends a number of products – some are best for relaxed hair, while others are better for natural hair. However, most of them work well for both types of hair.

Once the hair is hydrated, conditioned and protected, this is where the sisters with relaxed and natural hair usually go their separate ways, and the book accounts for that as well. In terms of drying and styling the hair, the book addresses a number of different ways our hair can be cared for – set or air-dried straight for relaxed hair, or blow-dried and braid/twist set for natural or relaxed hair.

The leave-in treatments recommended are often based on how the hair will be dried. The book then also recommends products for caring for the hair once it is dry – say if you plan to press/curl natural hair or if you plan to braid/plait the hair instead. Because my hair is relaxed, and I am sharing the regimen I follow, some of the shampoos recommended may appear to be best suited for relaxed hair. However, most of the products I recommend address a multitude of hair issues that can occur in relaxed or natural hair. I was even surprised to find that most of the shampoos I recommend work well on my husband’s hair (natural). In fact, I hide the most expensive ones and let him use Motions, which he really likes.

Be that as it may, I do realize that some women/girls with natural hair often don’t need the heavy duty conditioning that sisters with relaxed hair do. As a result, there is a section in the book for alternative/substitute product recommendations that allow you to pick a shampoo that might be gentler (e.g., Creme of Nature). At the end of each week's regimen, there is a worksheet in the book for you to list the products that you decide to use (e.g., shampoos, conditioners and leave-ins).

If you should decide to follow the regimen for you and/or your daughters, you can select from the list of products recommended in the book or try some of the newer products mentioned under the Helpful Updates &amp; Information link on my website, www.blackwomansguide.com. Under that link, I just added the names of a wonderful shampoo and conditioner I tried by KeraCare, which my cousin recommended and uses on her daughter's natural hair with great success. KeraCare’s shampoo was a little pricey, but it was well worth it, and a little goes a long way. However, as I said before, you may also substitute the products of your choice into the regimen. It is also worthwhile to note that rotating shampoos is optional in the regimen – you may use the same shampoo and conditioners week-in and week- out, if you choose, but the basic framework of the regimen can be followed.

Finally, in terms of daily and weekly care for natural hair, my book does offer tips on maintaining natural styles. As an example, spraying the hair at night with a little of Fantasia’s Night-time Oil treatment along with the use of a satin cap can help maintain natural styles just as it does with relaxed styles – the cap can save natural hair from the drying effects of pillow cases. Also, the product that I recommend for oiling the scalp in the book works wonderfully for relaxed or natural hair – braided, pressed or whatever you choose to do.

So I said all of this to say, that I appreciate the fact that we, as black women, beautifully sport a myriad of styles. However, regardless of how we decide to wear it, we all need some type of hair care regimen to make sure that we are taking care of our hair, and my 6-week regimen can be that regimen for hair of all types!

No Weaves But Your Hair

So what’s a sister to do?

1) Make sure that you wear just “your own hair” at least 75% of the time.
2) Treat “your” hair to a weekly shampooing &amp; conditioning regimen.
3) Go easy on the curling irons, electric curlers and blow dryers (my book recommends a healthier alternative to curling irons and has a great air drying method that I use to dry my hair straight without a blow dryer).
4) Take care of your scalp (massage and oil it at least once a week).
5) Limit combing/brushing by using your fingers to detangle as much as possible, and only use wide tooth combs and soft brushes.
6) Avoid products that make your hair hard.
7) Find a reputable stylist that you trust to apply chemicals (e.g., relaxers and colors) and add hair.
8) Never use bonding glues on your hair the few times you choose to add hair to
your own, and make sure you continue to take care of “your” hair when you wear
weaves, wigs and extensions.

The lesson I have learned, and want us all to learn, is that weaves/extensions/wigs may be nice, but the hair God gave us, when it is healthy, is so much better!

To Trim or Not To Trim

After careful research and experimentation, if you don’t have split ends, there is not a set time that you have to trim your ends unless that is your personal preference. Remember: “Trimming the ends has absolutely nothing to do with hair growth!” So, if your hair is being trimmed more than you feel is necessary, you may want to discuss this with your stylist, and take a lesson from my mistakes, be completely open with your stylist about your concerns and try to work out a trim schedule that works for you. While you are doing this, you may want to also consider having your ends trimmed while your hair is dry, instead of wet (if you are not doing so already). My stylist admitted that it is harder to tell how much needs to be trimmed when the hair is wet.

If your stylist is not willing to professionally and respectfully discuss trimming with you, it may be time to move on. I personally think many stylists trim for reasons other than split ends:

1) Out of habit and/or a belief that trimming ends makes the hair grow;
2) The ends are frizzy at the time you come in (maybe due to a style such as a plait/braid set or product build-up)
3) The ends are uneven (ends don’t have to be evened all at once, it can be done gradually). The choice of when to trim is entirely up to us, but being able to go for long periods without a trim requires a commitment to take extra special care of our hair and ends (e.g., regular shampoos, deep conditioning, minimal brushing and combing, limited heat, satin cap/scarf at night and protective styles as often as you can) and open communication with your stylist!

Thanks CarmenRose,

I appreciate that! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

me too!!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

You're welcome..I had it saved in MS Word on my PC...I actually have a special folder now dedicated to Healthy Hair Tips (sad ain't it..lol)..But anyway, I got it off her website and from her newsletters. /images/graemlins/dance7.gif /images/graemlins/band2.gif

Back