Caring for Dry, Brittle, Crunchy Newgrowth...

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Ladies, I am grateful that my hair is growing, and at only 5 weeks post-relaxer, my newgrowth is so out of control that I fear that I won't be able to stretch too much longer. (Thanks, Naturallady and Boundless Tresses!!!! :kiss:)

In the meantime, I am experiencing severely dry, brittle newgrowth that I really don't know how to deal with. I've never confronted this issue before.

Ladies, can you give me some tips on how to care for my newgrowth? I finally got my hair looking nice and shiny rather than dull. Even my ends look healthy. Now I confront a new problem and that's my dry, dull, brittle roots.

Any suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks so much!

SP

The Boundless tresses is most likely the culprit for your dry newgrowth. I use BT and I combat the dryness by deep conditioning my hair twice per week and moisturizing my hair as well. I am drinking more water and taking vitamins. It is really helping and my hair has done a complete turn around:)

s curl works great for softening ng. you cna buy a smal bottle for like 2 or 3 dollars. can u tell me how u got your hair to stay shiny, im strugglig with that right now.

I find that a simple moisturizing spray of cheapie (cone-free) conditioner, water, glycerin, and oil helps me keep my NG soft late in a stretch. I spray this on every night, focusing on my NG. I add a small amount of hydolyzed silk amino acids (SAA) to the spray as well. SAA is supposed to help the hair retain moisture.

Divine Inspiration said:
Do you prepoo? Do you DC? What kinds of products are you using? How often do you wash? Are you using a moisturizer? If yes, how often?

Do you prepoo? I don't do pre-poos just because I don't know what products are good for that. I do think that hot oil treatments may work, but perhaps I could try that prior to shampooing and conditioning. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Do you DC? Yes. I DC once a week on Sundays. I also did a condition wash on Friday morning using Trader Joe's Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner and Porosity Control. And yet, today is Monday and my NG is dull and dry again.:(

What kinds of products are you using? See my siggie. I just bought the BB Moisturizing Oil that everyone is raving about. I thought about doing an Avocado DC treatment that I got from the Dominicans.
How often do you wash? Once a week, but I think I'm going to step up my CW during the week.

Are you using a moisturizer? If yes, how often? Yes. Daily with Mizani Rose Conditioning Hairdress but I don't like it. I'm going to see how the BB Moisturizer works. I'm still trying to figure out which moisturizing products will work best for my fine hair. Everything seems either too heavy or too greasy, weighs by hair down, give it shine for a couple of hours, but then get dry and dull looking.

trimbride said:
The Boundless tresses is most likely the culprit for your dry newgrowth. I use BT and I combat the dryness by deep conditioning my hair twice per week and moisturizing my hair as well. I am drinking more water and taking vitamins. It is really helping and my hair has done a complete turn around:)

You could be right. I've noticed that BT could be the culprit, as I use BT once daily. I could either scale back to every other day and/or deep condition more than once a week. I drink tons of water and take vitties.;)

locabouthair said:
s curl works great for softening ng. you cna buy a smal bottle for like 2 or 3 dollars. can u tell me how u got your hair to stay shiny, im strugglig with that right now.

Sure, no problem. I'm generally trying to stick to one or two products. Sadly I had to stop baggying because my ends were actually breaking off. For my hair, I use ORS Carrot Oil that comes in a jar. I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil for my ends and wear protective styles everyday. When I don't use the Carrot Oil, I use Clairol's Vitapointe. The ladies here have been raving about this product. My mother and grandmother used to use this on my hair and their hair back in the day. And I forgot how wonderful Vitapointe is.;)

I use BT too and prepooing with oil has helped me a lot. I use alma and coconut oil for atleast 30minutes to an hour. Also try using a creamy moisutrizer on your newgrowth. I use ors olive oil cream and just apply it at my roots to keep them moist. This also helps cut down on manipulation damage and breakage.

Serenity_Peace said:
Sure, no problem. I'm generally trying to stick to one or two products. Sadly I had to stop baggying because my ends were actually breaking off. For my hair, I use ORS Carrot Oil that comes in a jar. I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil for my ends and wear protective styles everyday. When I don't use the Carrot Oil, I use Clairol's Vitapointe. The ladies here have been raving about this product. My mother and grandmother used to use this on my hair and their hair back in the day. And I forgot how wonderful Vitapointe is.;)

i am using the JBCO now. it is thick but it is one of the best oils i have used so far, i use it to seal and it keeps my hair moisturized longer and keeps it shiny longer BUT the shine does last which i think is the case with most oils.

you can use any conditioner to pre poo. any cheapie conditioner would be fine.

is the avacado conditioner moisturizing? i was thinking abou purchasing it.

locabouthair said:
i am using the JBCO now. it is thick but it is one of the best oils i have used so far, i use it to seal and it keeps my hair moisturized longer and keeps it shiny longer BUT the shine does last which i think is the case with most oils.

you can use any conditioner to pre poo. any cheapie conditioner would be fine.

is the avacado conditioner moisturizing? i was thinking abou purchasing it.

I haven't tried the Avocado DC yet, but I will keep everyone posted. I just purchased that this weekend. I think I'mma try that ORS Olive Oil creme because so many ladies swear by it. I just hope it's not too sticky or thick for my hair.

Anyone who uses ORS Olive Oil moisturizing creme feel free to chime in and give your reviews on this product.

Thanks!

Aveda and pre-poo w/ a thick oil (like coconut, mango, or red palm). Actually I shouldn't call it a pre-poo, because I don't poo. I coat my hair w/ oil, steam it, rinse, and co-wash w/ Aveda DR. This process works for me every single time.

ETA: If you've been using BT a while you might want to clarify first.

sareca said:
Aveda and pre-poo w/ a thick oil (like coconut, mango, or red palm). Actually I shouldn't call it a pre-poo, because I don't poo. I coat my hair w/ oil, steam it, rinse, and co-wash w/ Aveda DR. This process works for me every single time.

ETA: If you've been using BT a while you might want to clarify first.

Excellent! Sounds like a plan. I remember doing oil treatments with heat when I was in high school and my hair was always so luxurious. I don't know why I stopped. I will try this, definitely. One thing I never did was do the oil treatment BEFORE washing and conditioning. I see many ladies do this and I've got to try it. ;)

Yep, a prepoo with oils has helped me on occasions where my NG feels very dry. I use a mixture of Dabur amla, castor oil, and peppermint essential oil (to combat the smell of the amla).

I use ORS olive oil the one w/o mineral. I like it for my hair but for my NG I think a great conditioner (Aveda DR and Mizani Moisturfuse) does the job. Also I use jojoba and lavender on my NG now and I can finger comb my NG w/ out all the tangles and breakage I was getting just last week:eek: . It just slides right thru:)

Serenity_Peace said:
I haven't tried the Avocado DC yet, but I will keep everyone posted. I just purchased that this weekend. I think I'mma try that ORS Olive Oil creme because so many ladies swear by it. I just hope it's not too sticky or thick for my hair.

Anyone who uses ORS Olive Oil moisturizing creme feel free to chime in and give your reviews on this product.

Thanks!

Serenity_Peace said:
Do you prepoo? I don't do pre-poos just because I don't know what products are good for that. I do think that hot oil treatments may work, but perhaps I could try that prior to shampooing and conditioning. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Do you DC? Yes. I DC once a week on Sundays. I also did a condition wash on Friday morning using Trader Joe's Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner and Porosity Control. And yet, today is Monday and my NG is dull and dry again.:(

What kinds of products are you using? See my siggie. I just bought the BB Moisturizing Oil that everyone is raving about. I thought about doing an Avocado DC treatment that I got from the Dominicans.
How often do you wash? Once a week, but I think I'm going to step up my CW during the week.

Are you using a moisturizer? If yes, how often? Yes. Daily with Mizani Rose Conditioning Hairdress but I don't like it. I'm going to see how the BB Moisturizer works. I'm still trying to figure out which moisturizing products will work best for my fine hair. Everything seems either too heavy or too greasy, weighs by hair down, give it shine for a couple of hours, but then get dry and dull looking.

I highly recommend prepooing. Try using some oils mixed with a cheapie conditioner (White Rain Tropical Coconut is my new favorite). This would help soften the new growth and condition it as well.

Are you using a leave-in conditioner? Giovanni Direct is wonderful for smoothing and softening new growth.

Have you considered a moisturizer w/o cones? My hair doesn't seem to like cones in leave-ins/moisturizers. Yours may not either, espescially since you have fine hair.

Divine Inspiration said:
I highly recommend prepooing. Try using some oils mixed with a cheapie conditioner (White Rain Tropical Coconut is my new favorite). This would help soften the new growth and condition it as well.

Are you using a leave-in conditioner? Giovanni Direct is wonderful for smoothing and softening new growth.

Have you considered a moisturizer w/o cones? My hair doesn't seem to like cones in leave-ins/moisturizers. Yours may not either, espescially since you have fine hair.

I'll try this and see if it does the trick and report back. I do, in fact, use Giovanni Direct for which I added the silk amino acids (thanks, Sereca!). I really like GD, which makes detangling that much better. I'm going to prepoo this evening with the oils and cheap conditioner.;)

Deep condition! Deep condition! Deep condition! Especially deep moisturizing conditioners. That will keep your new growth soft and healthy as well as the rest of your hair.Moisturizing leave in conditioners are great too.

jade998 said:
Can anyone name a cone free mostiurizer - is BB oil cone free?

Ingredients: Water , Canola Oil , Sorbitan Sesquioleate , Castor Oil , Polyquaternium 32 , Polysorbate 80 , Aloe Vera Gel , DL Panthenol , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Fragrance , D&C Red No. 33

No cones. :nono: At least none I recognize.

locabouthair said:

Co-sign! :grin:

Serenity,

I noticed you listed the same hair type as mine. I have to say I tried that Mizani Rose hairdress cause it was highly recommended. It made my hair feel really good for one day and by day three my edges were extremely dry and broken off all around the front and sides.:(

Lavendar said:
Serenity,

I noticed you listed the same hair type as mine. I have to say I tried that Mizani Rose hairdress cause it was highly recommended. It made my hair feel really good for one day and by day three my edges were extremely dry and broken off all around the front and sides.:(

Yep, I can't believe I paid $17 dollars for that crap. It dried out my hair and made it look so dull and I was so upset. I'm fast learning that the cheaper products are working for me better than these expensive ones that do nothing but weigh my hair down.

Case in point: the Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol used for my deep conditioning which costs all of $2. I have yet to find anything better outside of Silicon Mix and other Dominican DC's. The difference is the price. The Lustrasilk did what the more expensive ones did, perhaps even better.

Case in point: Trader Joe's Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner is terrific for only $2.50. I guess that it didn't work for me last week because I needed to clarify. Last night, it worked wonders.

Update:

1. Last night I clarified using CON clarifying shampoo. I had to do two washes to ensure that my hair was clarified properly.

2. I then did a pre-poo with various oils and got under the heating cap. I mixed Indian oils: Shikaiki, Alma, Brahmi and Castor Oil with a little EVOO. I stayed under the heating cap for about 30 minutes.

3. I rinsed out, then did a quick condition wash rather than shampoo using Trader Joe's Ultra Moisturizing Spa Conditioner, which felt so good.

4. Then, I deep conditioned using Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol. My hair felt so wonderful, soft. My NG glistened and I could comb right through it. Absolutely no problems. The Lustrasilk is a keeper!;)

5. With damp hair, I used Giovanni Direct, sealed with ORS Carrot Oil and allowed my hair to air dry.

6. When my hair was about 85% dry, I applied ORS Olive Oil Creme, put my hair in a bun using a satin Scrunci, then allowed my hair to finish airdrying, tying a silk scarf around my head and went to bed.

This morning I awoke to luxurious shiny black hair!!! My NG didn't look dull. It was glistening in the sun! My ends looked as though I had just had a trim. They looked very healthy.

I think I'm going to stick to this regimen throughout the summer. I like the concept of airdrying because it makes my hair look so much thicker. I didn't have to use pins for my foam donut this time around like I normally do. All of my hair covered the bun because it was so full. :yay:

Ladies, I can tell that my hair has become thicker. I'm not sure if it's because I'm 5 weeks post, or if my hair is just becoming healthier and thicker. I certainly do hope that it's the latter rather than the former. ;)

Back