Capture that Post Relaxer Glow?

Polyesterdiva

I have a question for you ladies.

Do you ever noticed that after a fresh relaxer hair just falls/lays better? Well of course right?

I noticed the same thing too, except that I don't get my hair flat ironed after my relaxer (heat phobic). I just walk out after the wash and a short stint under the dryer, but my hair from root to tip feels fantastic. For a few weeks afterward too, my washes post relaxer feel like butter...and not just the roots, but from length to tip my hair feels....better.

Fast forward a month post, and not only are my roots growing in, but my my hair root to tip feels dryer, more tangled, less silky. I don't know. I start getting antsy for another relaxer even though my roots/new growth and manageable. My hair seems dyer and not as silky.

For the record, my stylist does not deep condition or use any treatments, and uses the same brands I do (Silk elements, joico, nexxus), and I'm relaxed "straight."

Has anyone noticed this? Any ideas to why this is? I've thought everything from...the lye relaxer running over my hair (when it's being washed out) and making it straighter/silkier, to the relaxer running over my hair and clarifying it, the the neutralizing shampoo doing something special....

Anyone out there know how to keep that silky feeling for more than a couple weeks?

i'm curious about this too. It's like my hair flows like the Colors of the wind when I get it done at a salon but not when I do it at home! :lol: I even asked my person what kind of relaxer she uses so I'm using the same one and the same flat iron as she does.

Girl, you can't tell me nothin' when I'm walking out of the salon after a fresh relaxer!

In order to keep that look and feel, I deep condition 2x a week and cowash at least 2x a week, sometimes more. This helps keep my moisture level up. I don't use any direct heat. Also, I clarify 2x a month to remove product build up so my hair doesn't get weighed down.

I've had people see me at 7 - 9 weeks post thinking that I've had a fresh relaxer.

Last edited:
Yeah I know what you mean. I don't relax bone straight any more since I don't frequent salons, so I don't get to experience that post-relaxer silkiness like I used to years ago. But whenever I want to create silky strands late in my stretch, I make sure to invest a lot of attention on my wash routine. Moisture is key for me to avoid that dryness. I pre-poo with "good" conditioners, not just the cheap $1.00 products. Another focus is to finalize the wash/conditioner step with something that seals the cuticles whether it be a low pH product like ACV or French Perm Stabilizer plus and a cold water rinse. After the rollerset, my hair usually turns out silky nice. Sometimes I take a blow dryer to the roots to help even out the textures.

Thanks n_vizion!

I'm wondering too if moisture is the key. I haven't been using much moisture because I'm scared of gummy hair, so the only time I get moisture on my hair is at the salon. I'm gonna deep con right now just to test it (using nexxus humectus!) and use an ACV rinse!

I'll update everyone in a bit :-)

It took me decades to figure it out, but for me the difference was the protein. Relaxer day was the only time my hair ever saw a protein reconstructor. Now that I use one regularly the silky feeling does not wear off.

Laidbak, what kind of protein recon do you use? I use k-pak and emergencee. They help, but I still felt like something was missing.

UPDATE!

On the moisture experiment. I went to the sauna today with my hair slathered in humectus. The results were grrreat! I guess my hair was secretly moisture starved. Maybe the trick with salon visits is, the stylists do so many heads of hair they know how to get us back to that perfect balance?

Laidbak, what kind of protein recon do you use? I use k-pak and emergencee. They help, but I still felt like something was missing.

UPDATE!

On the moisture experiment. I went to the sauna today with my hair slathered in humectus. The results were grrreat! I guess my hair was secretly moisture starved. Maybe the trick with salon visits is, the stylists do so many heads of hair they know how to get us back to that perfect balance?

I use Joico K-pak (or the Sally's GVP version) and now I use Aphogee 2 Step on relaxer days. Prior to this my hair had too much moisture, so that was never an issue for me. In the weeks post relaxer my hair would get mushy and dull, and break off. The protein stopped all that. So I use protein followed by moisture in each wash. My hair used to 'go bad' after the first post relaxer wash. Now I can make that silky feeling last for weeks.

I love how my hair looks and behaves immediately after a fresh relaxer, even if I do not use heat. Right around 7 weeks is when the glow begins to fade.

I do notice that when I do a steam treatment (been very lax lately), I can get pretty close to that kind of shine.

I love how my hair looks and behaves immediately after a fresh relaxer, even if I do not use heat. Right around 7 weeks is when the glow begins to fade.

I do notice that when I do a steam treatment (been very lax lately), I can get pretty close to that kind of shine.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:I don't know why that made me laugh but it did. My glow starts to fade at about 5 weeks post so I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Great thread OP!

I have wondered about this ever since I started my HHJ. I think it has something to do with the Ph or like you said, maybe relaxer runoff.

I am wondering if hair type has anything to do with it.

The only way I can duplicate it is to use direct heat. I could be 12 weeks post, but if I flat iron my hair it is silky. Another way that I can get somewhat silky hair even with an airdry is after I use a cellophane, my hair will behave the next few washes.

I have wondered about this ever since I started my HHJ. I think it has something to do with the Ph or like you said, maybe relaxer runoff.

I am wondering if hair type has anything to do with it.

The only way I can duplicate it is to use direct heat. I could be 12 weeks post, but if I flat iron my hair it is silky. Another way that I can get somewhat silky hair even with an airdry is after I use a cellophane, my hair will behave the next few washes.

I have noticed that your hair is looking HOT lately!!! When you say "Cellophanes" are you using Sebastian Cellophanes? I haven't used a cellophane in YEARS. I may have to revisit this. Especially since I have 9 more months of my ridiculously long stretch.

Aww thank you Ms. Tazzy Taz. My hair is trying to be like yours when it grows up. When I say cellophanes, I am talking about semi permanent hair colors, like Jazzing, Color Showers, Sebastian Laminates, etc, etc. I use Color Showers. And I love it. It makes my hair nice and shiny and smooths the cuticle.

I did not know you were on an extended stretch- good luck!

I know I make sure I do moisturizing DC and finish with Roux PC Conditioner & Corrector and that seems to keep me relaxer day silky swanging & banging!

that's so weird because after my relaxer, i hate the flatness...i like how my hair feels around 2 weeks post. i think I may look into the cellophane though, I keep hearing good things about it.

The key for me is using SAA or products with SAA for that silky feel. Also I use wheat germ oil in my DC's to give my strands shine. My girlfriend has incorporated both into her reggie and now says she has 'my hair' and also commented that she doesn't think that I realize how shiny my hair is (without being greasy).

I am now back to moisturizing every day and it appears to be helping the "glow". We will see in about 7 weeks :look:

Back