Can't master my carusos

Belle Du Jour

What am I doing wrong?

I'd have taken them back to Sally's already, but I can't find my receipt. The curls come out limp and not very well-formed so the don't last. Do I need to let them set longer? Also, do I need to use more curlers? I know my hair won't look as "defined" as when I do a rollerset under a dryer, but I'd like to be able to wrap my hair at night and just throw some rollers in when I get up. I was thinking about getting a regular hot curler set but isn't that as bad as using a curling iron? Also, what should I use for shine when I'm using these rollers? TIA!!!

I shake the roller before I put it into get some of the moisture out. I alos use end papers. I hopr that helps.

wow, I love my carusos. When i'm stretching i always get fluffy bouncy curls...when my hair is freshly permed i get curls that look very similiar to a salon set, but a little more bouncy and full, as opposed to shiny and thin. Sometimes i roll with 6 rollers or sometimes I roll with 12 rollers so i dont think it matters, though i get tighter curls that last longer when i use more rollers. A tip is to not wet your hair with anything, and to not let the roller sit on the steamer for too long or it'll wet your hair. I leave the roller on for maybe 8seconds. then i roll all my hair, then i wrap a towel around my head, hop in the shower, put my clothes on, then i undo my rollers and fingerstyle. They probably are in my hair for like 30minutes. And when i roll, I roll them all going backwards so i get spiral curls that are very bouncy. carusos are the only curls that can stand up to humidity and heat. I just got my hair rollerset at a salon and within 35minutes, my curls are completely gone! but when i caruso, my curls last all day long. I hope you learn to like them!

are you keeping the roller on the steam for too long? i just leave the roller on the steam for about 5 seconds roll my hair right away with end papers then steam the roller cap for 5 seconds before placing it on my hair. i leave the rollers in for about 45 min to an hour and after taking the rollers out i let it set for about 15 min before manipulating the curl. make sure that your hair is not oily because i tried it after applying wgo to air dried hair and my results were awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: the first time i did it it came our great. i had my hair blown dry before rolling my hairand i didn't apply any oil to my hair just a little ic gloss. i hope this helps..........;)

Last edited:
Mizani_Mrs said:
wow, I love my carusos. When i'm stretching i always get fluffy bouncy curls...when my hair is freshly permed i get curls that look very similiar to a salon set, but a little more bouncy and full, as opposed to shiny and thin. Sometimes i roll with 6 rollers or sometimes I roll with 12 rollers so i dont think it matters, though i get tighter curls that last longer when i use more rollers. A tip is to not wet your hair with anything, and to not let the roller sit on the steamer for too long or it'll wet your hair. I leave the roller on for maybe 8seconds. then i roll all my hair, then i wrap a towel around my head, hop in the shower, put my clothes on, then i undo my rollers and fingerstyle. They probably are in my hair for like 30minutes. And when i roll, I roll them all going backwards so i get spiral curls that are very bouncy. carusos are the only curls that can stand up to humidity and heat. I just got my hair rollerset at a salon and within 35minutes, my curls are completely gone! but when i caruso, my curls last all day long. I hope you learn to like them!

I am going to try this definitely....

I ended up giving my carusos away; had the same problem. My hair is 3b/3c & cottony and I think the steam just didn't go well with my hair texture.:confused:

caribeandiva said:
hmm.. i'm thinking of getting some carusos but i want longer hair first. i think the curls will look better that way.

I have a chin length bob and I used the carusos for the first time this morning with no end papers, left the rollers on the steamer for about 5-8 seconds and rolled my hair. I put on my makeup and my clothes and did some other things and took the rollers out, my hair was a little damp but I didn't manipulate for about 10 minutes. I must say this is a very good investment for me, my hair is beautiful and full of bouncy curls. I look like I just got a fresh rollerset. After I fluffed, I put a little light hold sprits and oil sheet on my hair and went about my day. OOH goody, goody, I love my carusos. The only problem was hiding them from my husband:lol:

OK, I am at my wits end as far as styling goes. I will try them again and leave on for at least 30 minutes. (I was taking them out in 10.) Thanks for all the suggestions.

I couldnt master those darn caruso rollers, either. :( Needless to say, I took them right back to Sallys. If you still want to return them to Sallys, they will let you exchange for something else without your receipt.

(scratching my head)

My caruso experience left me feeling a little :( . Reading through the posts I see that I left the rollers on the thingy too long, didn't steam the cap, didn't use end papers AND I didn't leave the rollers in long enough. Sheesh! I'm going to try them again at some point.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Back