Can't get rid of the smell...what am I doing wrong??

OliviaChristine

So I started using MTG last week, and I've been applying it after washing, on a wet head. I then leave it on for two days. The problem comes when I co-wash, or shampoo. The smell does NOT go away! :eek: I've even lathered twice, and used a a good smelling conditioner, but as my hair starts to (air) dry, I notice that the MTG smell is still there...it even seems like it may be smellier than before I washed! What the heck am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

mix the mtg with peppermint oil 1oz pep for every 16oz mtg maybe you should let some conditoner sit in the hair to absorb it?

You're not doing anything wrong... Pure sulfur is just a hard smell to get rid of. I've tried the sames things you did. I've just resolved to getting used to it, if I want my hair to grow. One thing I tried: I just purchased the Hair & Braid Deodorizer from Surge. It neutralizes odors on the hair (like Febreeze does on fabric). I spray that on when I air dry my hair after a shampoo... And then again when I'm done applying MTG. But once that sulfur is on your scalp, nothing can comletely remove the smell.

I had that problem after leaving glovers on for about 20 min and then washing twice and conditioning.

I could still smell it on my wet hair. But, it did go away eventually.

NoNapNique said:
You're not doing anything wrong... Pure sulfur is just a hard smell to get rid of. I've tried the sames things you did. I've just resolved to getting used to it, if I want my hair to grow. One thing I tried: I just purchased the Hair & Braid Deodorizer from Surge. It neutralizes odors on the hair (like Febreeze does on fabric). I spray that on when I air dry my hair after a shampoo... And then again when I'm done applying MTG. But once that sulfur is on your scalp, nothing can comletely remove the smell.

:ohwell: Too bad, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. I do wonder how long it'll take, once I stop using MTG for good (when I've reached my goal) for the smell to go away. Days? Weeks? Months?

If I CW the smell is still there but not too strong. For me it goes away when I shampoo.

The Surge deoderixer helps a little but does not cover the smell completely for me.

NoNapNique said:

This is why I stress using mtg on the hair, but not scalp. You still reap the benefits of mtg and the smell is less pronounced. :lol:

NapturalGlory said:
But the scalp is where the hair GROWS from so it needs to get on the scalp right? I'm thinking of buying this soon but I have Pomade de Azufre from WalMart. It's 10% sulfur and I read about it on Black Hair Media. I wonder if it works the same. It doesn't smell and it also treats acne.

Naptural is the Pomade de Azufre a cream or does it have a vaseline type texture?

Natrlchallenge said:
This is why I stress using mtg on the hair, but not scalp. You still reap the benefits of mtg and the smell is less pronounced. :lol:

I thought the benefits of mtg were increased thickness and growth rate? Wouldnt you have to put the product on the scalp for this to happen...or am I misunderstanding how MTG works?:confused:

Natrlchallenge said:

I would think the smell would be worse for me if I applied it to the hair :confused:

I don't mean to confuse you. I'm just telling you what works for me. ;) I find that this way works better for me and the smell that prevents others from using Mtg is not an issue with me. Nobody smells it on me and my hair is thriving from it. If using mtg on your scalp works for you, then by all means use it that way.

Back