Can't comb through my hair! What does your stylist for rollersets?

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Can't comb through my hair! UPDATE: Problem Solved!

I remember going to the salon when I was younger and getting my hair set on magnetic rollers. I remember that she used to get the comb through my hair so easily:drunk:. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HtXHzoM5Yg

I want to know what can I use to rollerset that will give you that "slippery" feeling. I've tried these things so far:

Lacio Lacio
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Paul Mitchell Detangler
Sunsilk
NTM leave In
Lottabody Setting Lotion
Fantasia Serum

Nothing is allowing me to slide the comb through, I can't even part it w/o breakage. What do you or stylist use?

ETA: I figured out what I was doing wrong:grin:! I wasn't deep conditioning long enough. After washing w/ CON, I took my trusty Silicon Mix (love this stuff) and sat under the dryer for 30 mins ( I used to do it for only 15:nono:). Then I rinsed w/ warm water and added Giovanni, Lacio Lacio, and a little more serum than usual. Parting was still a chore...but no breakage! I lost maybe 20 strands all shedded! Hope this helps the others that had this problem!

Last edited:
I used Lottabaody on mine and my mom's hair, but VERY little. Like a drop or two [literally] on each roller. I finger comb my hair afterwards, and it's bouncy, slick, and shiny :drunk: When I soaked my hair strands with tha Lottabody, it came out very crunchy/ hard like, which would've caused breakage if I tried to comb it out! I like Lottabody a lot!

It looks to me like the her hair is not thoroughly wet. It looks like she just wet the section she was about to set on the rollers. But for me, if I detangle well in the shower with usually silicon mix I don't have a problem when roller setting. I also use Rusk Smoother and Lacio Lacio. The Rusk Smoother gives me more slip than Giovanni Direct Leave in.

1. get a spray bottle
2. detangle and section before you wash your hair
3. in the shower, rinse out each section and comb through it with a shower comb simultaneously.
4. Keep your hair in those sections while setting your hair.

It sounds as if your hair could be somewhat dry to me as well.

Last night I did a rollerset and it came out better than any other time I rollerset.

I deep conditioned for about 30 minutes with Joico Moisture Recovery (very moisturizing btw). Then I detangled with Biolage leave in tonic. The only thing I used to rollerset was castor oil.

My hair came out really soft and moisturized. I can actually run my fingers through my it w/o getting snagged.

I would suggest maybe using a little castor oil when you rollerset.

Thanks for responding ladies! Dry...Really?:perplexed Maybe it's damaged...I hope not:sad:. This is what I did prior to the rollerset.

Pre-poo w/ Suave Humectant for 1hr (came out soft)
Wash w/ CON detangling shampoo (helped alot)
DC'ed w/ A.O. Honeysuckle Rose plus a little 10 en 1 on the ends
- did this for 30 mins /w heat (didn't feel as nice afterwards)
After rinsing w/ cold water, used Aceite of Oliva rinse
Added Giovanni Direct as a leave in...this is where it gets ugly:nono:!

I dunno, after doing this my hair wasn't soft at all! Does this mean it's damaged? After adding the Giovanni, I then had to add a serum and some detangler just to comb through, and it was still hard to do. My hair remained sopping wet throughout. There wasn't alot of breakage, but I just noticed ALOT less when my stylist used to do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding ladies! Dry...Really?:perplexed Maybe it's damaged...I hope not:sad:. This is what I did prior to the rollerset.

Pre-poo w/ Suave Humectant for 1hr (came out soft)
Wash w/ CON detangling shampoo (helped alot)
DC'ed w/ A.O. Honeysuckle Rose plus a little 10 en 1 on the ends
- did this for 30 mins /w heat (didn't feel as nice afterwards)
After rinsing w/ cold water, used Aceite of Oliva rinse
Added Giovanni Direct as a leave in...this is where it gets ugly:nono:!

I dunno, after doing this my hair wasn't soft at all! Does this mean it's damaged? After adding the Giovanni, I then had to add a serum and some detangler just to comb through, and it was still hard to do. My hair remained sopping wet throughout. There wasn't alot of breakage, but I just noticed ALOT less when my stylist used to do it.

Sometimes when I try to overcondition, my hair ends up feeling worse. Maybe the next time you wash you could try a steam treatment.

What I do is apply my deep conditioner and then take a hair turban/turbie twist and run it under hot water. Then I wrap my head with the towel and cover that with a plastic cap. Then I go under the dryer for ~10-15 minutes. Let it cool for another 5 and then rinse. I get lots of slip and softness that way.

My hair can not take an ACV rinse...it gets ugly. I will only do it after I texlax. I use Salerm 21 or Lacio lacio (just a nickel size amount). Then, a spray bottle full of water.

the last time I got a roller set it came out a hot mess because i have been using mn and I mean my hair is so thick I had to put in braids the next day here is a

Last edited:
I have the same issue. I've given up on rollersets entirely. My hair airdries nicely but I just can't comb it when it's wet...it breaks and snaps something awful. I know it's not dry or damaged...it just is what it is.

(That said, the PJ in me is still going to try this Lacio Lacio everyone raves about!:ohwell:)

I'm looking for a good detangler also. I'm going to try Dark and Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Ouchless Detangler. (It states that it is for relaxed or natural hair). I used this back in the day for my daughter's hair. If I remember correctly it was ok. I also forgot about Pantene detangling light conditioning mist. This was excellent. It had a warning on the bottle to cover the floor prior to use because it could cause the floor to become very slippery. HTH

Hondahoney007

In my opinion, 10-en-1 and A.O. Honeysuckle Rose may be good conditioners, but they don't give much slip. In general, I have never gotten slip from an A.O. conditioner. I used to love GPB, but I used it for airdrying. I love Giovanni Direct for my rollersets and it instantly softens my hair. I can't imagine that it was the problem. I suspect the DC's you are using are not slippery enough--at least they were not for me.

Also, I love CON poo, but I had to let it go. It left my hair feeling coated and I never got good rollerset results with it. However, everyone's hair is different.

Last edited:
I usually try not comb through my hair while its fragile and wet. I finger comb and detangle before shampooing. I condition with Aveda DR and after I rince I use lacio lacio. I dont comb through my whole head at once but rather I make small parts to put the rollers on and comb only that small section at a time.

I fill a spray bottle with diluted professional Lottabody. I--and my stylists--have used this on my hair for many years. It's a lifelong staple. ;)

But, I do prep my hair well by detangling it with a slippery conditioner like Humecto or Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Reconstructor. I tend not to over rinse my hair. Leaving that little bit of conditioner in is critical. Otherwise, I'd have to add a leave in which I don't like to do with a roller set (takes longer to dry.)

Keep em comin ladies!:grin: Well, I was really concerned that my hair was damaged earlier. I actually ended up claryfing, using a protein treatment again, then Dc'ing again. I then added a ACV rinse ( probably won't do that one again) and the Giovanniw/ some serum. My hair felt softer, but when I tried to comb through it, it's still hard to get through. Is my hair damaged? I don't want to cut it off!:blush:

I fill a spray bottle with diluted professional Lottabody.
I--and my stylists--have used this on my hair for many years. It's a lifelong staple. ;)

But, I do prep my hair well by detangling it with a slippery conditioner like Humecto or Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Reconstructor. I tend not to over rinse my hair. Leaving that little bit of conditioner in is critical. Otherwise, I'd have to add a leave in which I don't like to do with a roller set (takes longer to dry.)

I may have to go back to that!:grin: My stylist used this too. I'm going to try this...

Back