can your hair grow with braids???

prettygirlatl

hello all!!
please respond if you think you can help me. i am in the process of growing my hair out longer. it is currently to the nape of my neck. i am seeing some breakage so decided to lay off the blow drying...thanks to the advice of many of the ladies in the forum. i plan to pre-poo with olive oil, shampoo with biolage, deep conditition with biiolage, then apply the leave in conditioner every seven days for the next two weeks. After that, i will be applying cornrows. i plan to keep the same regimen while the braids are in. please, please, please....let me know if this is a good or bad idea. crown glory technique women: your input is definately welcome!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :p :p :p :p :lol: :lol:

Yes, your hair can definately grow in braids as long as they are put in properly and cared for properly, you should definately see a difference after leaving them in over periods of time. I can't say this about cornrows, because I've never kept cornrows in for more than two weeks, but the last time I had my hair in micros and left them in for 5 months my hair went from shoulder length to about 3 inches down my back.

It may be difficult to do so much in your regimen, while in cornrows. You may find yourself redoing the cornrows sooner. However your plan is possible. Make sure while doing it at low manipulation because the hair may look fizzy and worn out. After your wash put on a silk scarf so the cornrow look flat.

Throughtout the week, don't forget to apply moisture to our scalp.

I've been a braids wearer off and on for years and my hair has grown very nicely, even though I don't wear them for the purpose of hair growth. I always advise people who are interested to be careful of who you let do them, because some folks braid hair way too tight. Also take good care of them and don't leave them in too long or your hair will loc.

I usually keep cornrows in for a maximum of 4-6 weeks mainly because I sport them under instant weaves(half-wigs). Micros work for some people but has messed a lot of people hair up because of all the manipulation going on. I've had them before but never ever again!!:eek:

My hair grows very thick, long, and healthy when its in braids. You just have to make sure they are not TOO TIGHT! Thats the biggest mistakes we make.

Hey, prettygirlatl,

I had cornrows the majority of May, June, July and August of last year and I think it grew about 3-4 inches in that timeframe; the last time I had micros it grew, but that was 5 years ago, and I wasn't really paying attention (gosh, I wish I would have been part of this forum back them; I'd have some hurr right now! :lachen: The African lady that did my cornrows a few weeks ago said that braids would grow out short spots so I would assume it could grow all your hair, if proper care is taken.

HTH!

Braiding can grow your hair. I have had braids on and off for a while. Just take care of them and keep your hair moisturised. I will be using various types of braids to grow my hair out this year. Have look at the grown and glory techniques and you should be fine.

What about back to back cornrowing of your own hair, taking the braids down every 2-3 weeks? Wouldn't this do just as well and get the same amout of growth as leaving them in for a month or more. I have fine strands, and I do not want to leave them too long. bonjour

Mahalialee4 said:
What about back to back cornrowing of your own hair, taking the braids down every 2-3 weeks? Wouldn't this do just as well and get the same amout of growth as leaving them in for a month or more. I have fine strands, and I do not want to leave them too long. bonjour

That would do just fine Mahalialee4, My sister does this to her own hair gets great results

Yeah I plan on doing this until December. I braided my hair Sunday so I am going to keep these in until April 20th. I plan on oiling my scalping every other night with MTG or Wild Growth Oil. I keep it moisturized with a leave in conditioner by a company that is based in detroit. SALON PLUS they have the best products for my nappy hair. I need to take some pictures tonight of my braids. So I will be doing my hair every 4 weeks. and sleeping on my silk pillowcase

I get the best hair growth when my hair is braided. I got my hair cornrowed a few weeks ago but my hair has grown so much it looks a HAM now. Darn Boundless Tresses...that's how well it works!!!

I have gotten micro braids every year for the last three - four years and cornrows almost each summer when my hair was longer, and each time was a good experience with micros, growing about 2-3 inches each time. I never washed my cornrows because they were never in for more than 3-4 weeks. I washed my micros every week and did not have a problem. Make sure to use a moisturizing shampoo and not one that is really harsh, harsh shampoos cause breakage, esp with braids. I would suggest on top of what the other ladies suggest to wrap the braids each night, all that manipulation at night can cause the edges to break. And last but not least give your hair a break in between getting the braids re-done, at least 3-4 weeks is what the African lady that did my braids suggested.

I just recently got cornrows and they were too tight but I put some lenzi's request on my scalp and I see new growth already and it has only been 5 days!

my hair grew its best with braids. then after a while i stopped retaining length not sure why though. what i did was spray my hair with braid spray every day and oil the scalp. and when u take the braids out wait at least 2 weeks before u relax. i didnt know this and i got serious breakage.

These posts are quite encouraging. I just got my hair cornrowed a couple of weeks ago, so I hope to see some progress real soon :)!

I've worn braids in different styles off and on for years. I'm wearing cornrows now. Everyone's right though...as long as you take care of your braids you should be fine. I usually come out of braids and go right back in...I've heard that it can damage a lot of people's hair. But I take really good care of my hair and I'm always sure to deep condition and trim when necessary. My hair usually grows best after about a 1-2 month break in between braids. Neglecting the hair while it's braided is one of the main reasons why braids may damage, break, and thin out some people's hair. HTH

how do you take care of micros so that you don't get build up? Can i use my boundless tresses? I have micros with human hair

dlove said:
how do you take care of micros so that you don't get build up? Can i use my boundless tresses? I have micros with human hair

Ways to minimize buildup:

1. Redo the braids along your hairline at least every 2-3 weeks since they are exposed the most to the environment. It saves you the time from having to remove tons of buildup when it's time to take down your braids.

2. Wash your braids/hair at least once a week with diluted shampoo.

Also, you can still use BT on your scalp. Just make sure you're using it only on your scalp because putting it on the base of the braid will contribute to build up.

locabouthair said:
my hair grew its best with braids. then after a while i stopped retaining length not sure why though. what i did was spray my hair with braid spray every day and oil the scalp. and when u take the braids out wait at least 2 weeks before u relax. i didnt know this and i got serious breakage.

Really? :eek: I just took my braids out today, I'm thinking of getting a relaxer in 2 weeks.

Has anyone else had any problems with this?

My hair has been in cornrows since the first of april and I've noticed my hair retaining a lot of length already. I get my cornrows re-done every 7-10 days. I wash them between 1-3 times/week using the stocking cap method in Naturallady's album. I use diluted shampoo, and apply coconut oil to my hair and scalp when my hair starts to dry. I moisturize my hair and put oil on my scalp daily. I only use conditioner on wash days b/c I use cholesterol conditioner and it's hard to apply with the stocking cap method.

Braids themselves don't grow your hair. However keeping the hair braided for long periods of time (2 weeks +) helps in length retention because the hair isn't being manipulated as much. I've grown my hair out with braids several times. The most important thing to ensure that braids work to your hair's benefit and not detriment is to not have them put in too tight. Keeping your hair and scalp clean and moisturized will also help to prevent any breakage from extensions. Also don't leave the braids in too long or your hair will begin to mat and that can lead to breakage on the take down. Do you plan on wearing extensions or simply braiding your own hair?

I used to wear cornrows in college all the time. I got decent growth from merely no manipulation but it caused edge and nape damage- just have to be carefully with pulling too tight and leaving them in too long

How can you tell if they are too tight??? My mum put some in for me last night and it felt tight, as they werent corn rows I loosened the individual plaits a bit last night and it feels better but Im not sure if the damage has already been done:perplexed

What exactly happenes when they are too tight?

By the way my mum did my hair all through childhood and nothing in particular happened, she did rag my hair out with the comb though so I suppose the ends fell off. I thought it was more important not to do them too tight when in extensions??:confused:

Well I know that when braids are tight you can tell cos the scalp is stretched quite a bit and at times you see hair pulled right from the root cos you see the white bulbs.
When I was younger I didn’t like the braids if they hadn’t been done tight cos when it started to loosen I knew my hair was growing, the problem with this is in the long run your hair line can thin out and leave you with weakened hair roots.
Now that I don’t have my braids too tight my hair line is back in full force.

TemiLnd said:
Well I know that when braids are tight you can tell cos the scalp is stretched quite a bit and at times you see hair pulled right from the root cos you see the white bulbs.
When I was younger I didn’t like the braids if they hadn’t been done tight cos when it started to loosen I knew my hair was growing, the problem with this is in the long run your hair line can thin out and leave you with weakened hair roots.
Now that I don’t have my braids too tight my hair line is back in full force.

Thank you, Ive taken the tight ones out now, was getting a bit paranoid:perplexed

When I was trying to go natural I did the BC. I didn't like how it looked so as soon as I had enough length, I got it braided. I did this on and off for 2 years and had MAJOR growth. And this was before discovering LHCF and learning how to maintain my hair while it was in the braids.

So yes, it can definitely grow!!

Back