Can your hair get used to a relaxer?

Xcellence2

I am not sure if this is true or not but for 13 years I have been using the same type of relaxer. Lately i have noticed that it does not get my new growth straight. Like the last time I got a relaxer it was applied long enough but when i left i still had new growth and I looked like I was 4 weeks into a relaxer instead of 4 hours. Anyway so my hairdresser told me that my hair was used to the relaxer...has anyone heard of that before? She recommended that I switch brands but I have had great experiences with Motions and I am terrified of switching. Would using a texturizer after having a relaxer cause problems?

I don't see how new growth can get used to a relaxer since it is virgin hair that has never been touched before.
look.gif

yeah that is what i thought. At first i thought the relaxer was old but the last time i purchased it the same day and I had the same results

I agree that the newgrowth can't get "used to" a relaxer. But I do think that if you've been taking vitamins/supplements or doing more protein and moisturizing treatments between touchups, your newgrowth could be significantly different in composition and strength than your previously relaxed hair, so it might react differently with the relaxer. For example, pantothenic acid is supposed to thicken up individual hair strands. If you've been taking regular doses of that since your last touch-up and it's been working for you, your newgrowth might take longer to process to the desired level because the width and density of your strands has changed from last time. But if that isn't taken into account, you could end up with underprocessed hair. Even the regular hormones and ph levels of your body at any given time can affect how your newgrowth interacts with the relaxer. I think that's what pregnant women experience.

Sometimes, I think it's just something going on with the relaxers period.
laugh.gif
Like I've been getting Exclusives forever, but now, it never takes to my hair. I realize that I'm on medication which has definitely altered my hair, but still though.
laugh.gif
My friend said one hairdresser told her they had to stop using the Exclusives Regular because it was breaking people's hair off.
ohwell.gif

smile.gif
Yeah, that too. I wouldn't put it past manufacturers to put a weak batch of relaxer on the shelf.

[ QUOTE ]
myco said:
I agree that the newgrowth can't get "used to" a relaxer. But I do think that if you've been taking vitamins/supplements or doing more protein and moisturizing treatments between touchups, your newgrowth could be significantly different in composition and strength than your previously relaxed hair, so it might react differently with the relaxer. For example, pantothenic acid is supposed to thicken up individual hair strands. If you've been taking regular doses of that since your last touch-up and it's been working for you, your newgrowth might take longer to process to the desired level because the width and density of your strands has changed from last time. But if that isn't taken into account, you could end up with underprocessed hair. Even the regular hormones and ph levels of your body at any given time can affect how your newgrowth interacts with the relaxer. I think that's what pregnant women experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been wondering about. I've been taking biotin and a lot of other vitamins that thickens your hair, etc. I got my relaxer in a week ago and my hair came out underprocessed in some areas. I'm wondering is it the vitamins or the hairdresser.

I'm about to switch brands, next time I get my hair done I want my hairdresser to use affirm.

[ QUOTE ]
myco said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking something similar to this. After I started taking msm, my new growth seemed a little more resistant to my relaxer.

Back