Can you use protein treatment immediately after a relaxer?

FrazzledFraggle

I know this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find the answer. :look: My cousin's hairstylist is saying you have to wait two weeks in between the relaxer and the protein treatment - specifically aphogee two-step - but I trust you guys more. :lol:

Last edited:
No, that's actually a good thing to do. :lol: It will strengthen the hair after it's been broken down by the relaxer. Here are my steps:

1. Completely rinse out relaxer
2. Lather 3 times with neutralizing shampoo
3. Lather 2 times with regular shampoo or conditioner
4. DC with protein conditioner (I like Aphogee 2 Minute or ORS Replenishing)

No, that's actually a good thing to do. :lol: It will strengthen the hair after it's been broken down by the relaxer. Here are my steps:

1. Completely rinse out relaxer
2. Lather 3 times with neutralizing shampoo
3. Lather 2 times with regular shampoo or conditioner
4. DC with protein conditioner (I like Aphogee 2 Minute or ORS Replenishing)

If you were to use
aphogeeTwoStepProtein_16oz.jpg
in what order would you do it then?

I think she needs something stronger because she's had a lot of breakage. She has had 2 babies in the last 3 years and it has wreaked havoc on her hair. She keeps going back to that stylist and it keeps looking worse and worse and worse. I want to intervene! :look:

I've never used the 2 step treatment, but I would probably use it after the final shampoo rinse. I assume it's a protein reconstructor followed by a moisturizer treatment?

I've never used the 2 step treatment, but I would probably use it after the final shampoo rinse. I assume it's a protein reconstructor followed by a moisturizer treatment?

Yes, it is and you sit under the dryer until it gets super hard/dry then you carefully rinse it out and deep condition. I just want to be careful because I don't want to make her already damaged hair worse.

Yes, it is and you sit under the dryer until it gets super hard/dry then you carefully rinse it out and deep condition. I just want to be careful because I don't want to make her already damaged hair worse.

The 2 minute works well for me, but I've never had severe damaged hair. but if her hair is that bad, seems like a hard protein treatment would work well.

Me personally I would do the 2min not the 2step after relaxing. That 2step is very tricky. Does her hair do well with protein?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Me personally I would do the 2min not the 2step after relaxing. That 2step is very tricky. Does her hair do well with protein?

I've never used the 2 step, but the 2 minute gives me just the perfect amount of strength whenever I use it.

Yea I've never used the two-step, but here it's tricky too b/c you can't really touch it while it's hard. I'd just do a protein DC too.

protein after a relaxer is great. when i used to self relax i would do a protein treatment after i rinsed the relaxer out. i would do one shampoo with neutralizing shampoo and then apply nexxus emergencee, elasta qp breakage serum OR a light protein like aphoghee 2 minute. then neautralize again for 2-3 shampoos and then i would apply a moisturizing deep conditioner for 20 mins.

NO WAY would i under any circumstance do aphoghee two step after a relaxer. it is too harsh...the way it dries the hair so hard, etc...it's just too much IMHO after a relaxer. i would wait a week or two before doing a two step.

this may seem like a crazy question, but if her hair is that damaged, WHY is she relaxing it????? the relaxer should wait a few weeks or a month......

i would do a two step treatment, then follow it weekly with deep conditioning treatments until the hair is in a stronger state before i added any relaxer into the mix.

i mean if her hair is that weak, a relaxer will just hurt her hair, not help.:look:

now i don't know about 2 Step.

If you have to do a 2 step AFTER your relaxer then ur hair isn't in good standing to do a relaxer in the first place IMO. You should be giving your hair as much strength before the chemical breaks some of it down.

this may seem like a crazy question, but if her hair is that damaged, WHY is she relaxing it????? the relaxer should wait a few weeks or a month......

i would do a two step treatment, then follow it weekly with deep conditioning treatments until the hair is in a stronger state before i added any relaxer into the mix.

i mean if her hair is that weak, a relaxer will just hurt her hair, not help.:look:
I agree with this also. Makes more sense for me :yep:

@letskeepntouch

Do not use that Aphogee protein treatment right after the relaxer. :nono: Maybe a milder one, because I used that exact one right after my relaxer (In my relaxed days :look:)and it burned my scalp so bad.I mean it hurted like crazy! Don't do it. Use a milder one, but wait atleast 1 week to use Aphogee..

Last edited:
If she has severe breakage, use 2-step before and not after!
It will give her the strength she's needing at the moment.

Yes, the best time to do a protein treatment is after a relaxer when the cuticles are still lifted from the relaxer application. But you can also do a protein treatment a week or two before your relaxer to prepare your hair for the relaxer or after to strengthen the hair post relaxer. These days my hair is pretty healthy so I do the protein treatment immediately after I rinse out the relaxer and before the neutralizing shampoo but in the past I would do a protein treatment a week or two before my relaxer to prepare my hair for a relaxer.

I always find that Perm/Relaxers are like a protein treatment, sometimes it can leave hair a lil little hard especially if no-lye... I use a textlax and it gives moisture, so I just followup with the deep shea butter conditioner.. All by lineage...

Back