Can you make gels healthy for your hair?

yardyspice

Are there things I can mix into my gel that will actually make it good for my hair? I am thinking about mixing shea butter using a recipe I found online but do you mixtresses have any other suggestions? The hair at my hairline is shorter than the rest of my hair so my buns look like a TWA from the front so I have to use gels to smooth my hair down. I would be using the Ecostyler Olive Oil gel as a base. TIA!

Last edited:
How about applying EOs (like peppermint oil or rosemary oil) to your hairline before applying your regular gel? (Don't forget to mix the EO with a carrier oil, like jojoba or olive oil.)

Bumpin' for you.

What are you wanting the gel to do?

When I was completely natural I used aloe vera gel. Its amazing how aloe vera will heal burns and bruises, soothe cuts and scrapes, and then turn around and enhance natural curl, and slick back unruly hair that doesn't want to be bunned!

I also used to mix it with coconut oil to enhance the moisturizing properties.

I wonder if you could just give the recommended product a try or ask if they have samples or what their return policy is. I'm thinking that most gels in stores that people discover work for them were not made with 4B hair in mind yet they work for some people.

I don't use gels but after I saw your question, I did a search and found this. Again, might not be for 4B but who knows, it might work.

Last edited:
What are you wanting the gel to do?

When I was completely natural I used aloe vera gel. Its amazing how aloe vera will heal burns and bruises, soothe cuts and scrapes, and then turn around and enhance natural curl, and slick back unruly hair that doesn't want to be bunned!

I also used to mix it with coconut oil to enhance the moisturizing properties.

I was just about to type this. Aloe Vera gel is the only gel I use. It has no protein or alcohol in it so it doesn't dry my hair out, and it gives me the best hold out there for over 3 months of NG while stretching. If you are looking for moisture try FOTE vitamin E oil gel.

I use Macadamia Fixing Gel from SheScentIt. I love that it slicks my edges down just as well as the "brown goo."

Back