Can you french braid and cornrow your own hair?

yes. this hasnt ever proved to be a problem for me. Dont know when I learned just seemed to have always known how.

I can french braid my own hair very well. I always get compliments, and friends are usually really surprised. When they aren't black, they're also sometimes surprised that a black women would rock a french braid, likes them, that one can be done to my hair, etc.

I can corn row my hair in one or two braids and it looks fine. I am not good at cornrowing even someone else's hair, so I wouldn't expect to be able to do my own fantastically. I can actually do my own better than others' because I'm afraid of pulling on their hair.

I just learned how to cornrow this summer...they aren't super neat yet, but hey, im in no rush, I know if I practice more, they will get there.

I can't do it! I'm dying to learn how! Can someone teach me?:blush:
Well, do you know how to french braid or corn row period, like on others? That's the first step.

When I was between 8-10 I just figured out french braiding on my own by thinking about how it had to be done. It's like a plait, but you just make it stick to your head by gathering pieces of hair as you go down. To center it you start in the middle of wherever you want the braid and grab a chunk of hair, section it in 3 pieces, cross each once to start the braid, then each time you cross after that, pull a piece of hair from the sides. You start in the middle so there is hair on the sides to pull. At first you may be sloppy, but it's not too difficult. After a while once you get the hang of pulling hair from the sides to be even and neat when it enters the braid, you can get it to be really pretty, do patterns, etc.

I practiced on my own head often because I couldn't practice on anyone else, and that's how I mastered it.

When my hair was an inch or two longer, I used to make a kind of side french braid that went diagonally across my head.

Corn rowing is like an inverted french braid. Some people think they are easier than french braids, but I strongly disagree. :nono: I think part of it is that whichever you learn first is easiest. You start a cornrow off with 3 tiny pieces instead of 3 chunks, the way I cornrow is that I still keep plaiting in mind, but instead of reaching my hand above the braid to pull a new piece in when I cross, I hook my index figer, grab a piece from the side opposite the one I'm crossing to, and hold onto it as I go down the braid, keeping my finger hooked. I know that sounds mad confusing, but I'm sure there are toutube tutorials. :yep:

The result/difference is that a corn row has the braided part on the outside, and a french braid hides it underneath.

Yes, I do a cute and neat french braid. But my cornrows should be left for braid outs only; I can only cornrow underhanded though.

I knew a girl who could neatly do cornrows on her own hair.

I can french braid a little. I ordered this program called Braids By Breslin, and I'm learning to do cornrows, kinki twists, you name it. I ordered the beginners packages and it is great.

Yep. I used to do it all the time when my hair was longer. I first learned in 7th grade because the boys always wanted a girl to do their hair but I couldn't braid so the never asked me. I guess this was some kind of motivation:grin:. Anyway, I couldn't practice on anyone else's hair but my own so that's how I learned.

:yep: My mother wasn't the best braider, when my aunt wasn't available to do my hair, she would put these ***** braids in my hair...:nono:

So I decided (at 10) that I was going to learn who to braid my own hair, now I'm a pro:yawn:

I can french braid a little. I ordered this program called Braids By Breslin, and I'm learning to do cornrows, kinki twists, you name it. I ordered the beginners packages and it is great.
i got that DVD...helped me with kinky twists and micros but the cornrow section was a no-go.

i actually learned from ladykaypnyc's youtube tutorial...go figure. it was the finger placement that was giving me problems. i had already been practicing (and failing for the most part) on my sister but when i saw the vids i tried on myself and succeeded, but i stopped practicing and forgot. at least i know where to go learn again.

I have some trouble sometimes, but I can do it. Not a french braid though, I have lots of trouble grabbing that much hair and centering it.

Yes to both. I learned as a very young girl and could always braid/cornrow my own hair and others, pretty neatly. Then later as a teenager, I learned to add extensions and discovered a whole nother way to make money while in college . . .

Yep. I practiced on my barbies as a youngster, then practiced on my own head. Been doing them both ever since. There is a slight difference in how the fingers grab the hair which makes the different look between cornrows and frenchbraids. I love braids!

I don't know which one I do. Can someone explain to me the difference between the two. I do underhand good(think thats the french??) I was told the cornrow is simply overhand. Hard for me the tell the difference in looks though.

Uh, in theory. I really want to learn how to do them both better. So I'll be practicing. My family always makes fun of my finger placement. Someday we'll see... I want to get a lot better. I love all kinds of braids.

i can cornrow my own hair which is now relaxed but i learned on my natural hair so i do a better job with my friends with natural hair

Back