Can you fight a genetic predisposition to a hair problem?

Alpha Female

I was getting my hair done the other day. Went to the salon after being absentee for over a month just to do a shampoo, dry (under dome dryer), quick blow-out of roots only, dusting, & flat-iron. I probably could have done the dusting at home, but I didn't want to take a chance of messing that up! And I haven't done a flat iron in over 5 months. So overall, I left having had a good experience (watching her like a hawk probably helped)! :grin:

However, the only bummer was my hairstylist commenting that while the rest of my hair was growing, my hairline was still thin. She shook her head, clucked her tongue, and said 'It must be genetics. Nothing has ever really worked. You're destined for a thin hairline.' I said my parents don't have thin hairlines. She said "It could have skipped a generation or lurk somewhere in your family tree." Anyway, that was really a downer, because I HAVE tried a lot of things - Nioxin Follicle Booster (for months), MN (for a few weeks), and I just started BT last week...all to help improve my hairline. Maybe I'm using the wrong things, maybe I haven't used them long enough, maybe I'm using too many things, or just maybe...no matter what I use or try, I'm just genetically destined for a thin hairline like the hairstylist said. Is there such a thing or can you actually fight a genetic predisposition to a certain hair problem?

I believe it all depends on how, when and why the thinning started. Even though your parents do not have thinning hairlines, you could be affected due to other factors. How was your hair as a child? What care and styling methods were used? Who took care of it? Were the same or similar methods used on your mom's and grandmom's hair?

Thinning hairlines are notoriously difficult to correct or improve, but not impossible.

Bumping. Come on my LHCF sisters - I need some help here!

In the meantime, I am going to talk to Mom, Grandmama, and MawMaw (I'm from Louisiana - Ha!) to see if I can get more insight into the issue.

i agree that it could depend on a large number of issues - do you braid your hair often? wear it pulled back in a pony tail? wear weaves or extensions? wear a scarf to bed at night that pulls the edges? Properly relax and neutralize this area? Do you properly protect your edges when flat ironing, blow drying? Have they every been thick? etc., the list could go on and on. hopefully you will see some progress with BT.

I am assuming that you're relaxed, and since you said you've been absent for over A month, I'm also assuming your stylist relaxes your hair? Hmmm. Tsk..tsk...for sure. Perhaps the GENETIC disposition you're suffering is HER PROPENSITY to apply the relaxer to your edges FIRST!!! Just guessing, of course, but that's what happened to me before. As soon as I changed stylists, my edges thrived! Could that be the problem?

I am assuming that you're relaxed, and since you said you've been absent for over A month, I'm also assuming your stylist relaxes your hair? Hmmm. Tsk..tsk...for sure. Perhaps the GENETIC disposition you're suffering is HER PROPENSITY to apply the relaxer to your edges FIRST!!! Just guessing, of course, but that's what happened to me before. As soon as I changed stylists, my edges thrived! Could that be the problem?

Wow. I think that'a darn good point! :yep:

My hair has been MUCH better since TexLaxing(this is not a full relaxer...HTH)

My opinion may not be the most popular one but I believe that a good long relaxer stretch can cure most hair woes. Just leave it alone! And I'm talking 6-9 months...but you don't have to go to that extreme. Maybe you could try relaxing the edges every other time.

And on another note, I sure hope we can combat certain genetic conditions, cause I'm compiling a vitamin regimen that I hope will cure my chronic dry, hard, course new growth.

Back