Can you dye over henna?

ericajoy

Ladies, can you use regular dye on henna'ed hair? The henna isn't covering my ever-multiplying grays very well anymore. :perplexed And I'd like to tone down the burgundy into a more brownish-copper color.

I've tried indigo but the color didn't come out well (blackish-burgundy?), plus it dried my hair out (I actually ended up cutting it all off and starting over, partly as a result).

So can you dye over henna? Please let me know and thanks!

Yes you can. I've done it. But ... regular hair dye is a lot more drying than indigo (for me indigo is not drying). IMO henna/indigo is the better option.

IF you are considering trying to take your hair lighter than it's current color, you may run into problems. I tried to get my color professionally done with the remains of a henna job on my ends. It did not end well.

So, I would suggest that going darker may indeed work BUT if you want to go lighter, consider getting help.

Yes, you can. Indigo wasn't that great to me either. When I want to go darker, I use Natural Instincts. I've also lightened my henna'd hair--the hair ends up red which you have to tone down to an auburn or auburn-brown color. In other words, if you want to lighten, you'll have to stay within the "red" family of colors. If you're going darker--there's no real issues.

Well...I did. I also bleached.

Do a strand test before you do anything since everyone's hair reacts differently.

Yes, you can. Indigo wasn't that great to me either. When I want to go darker, I use Natural Instincts. I've also lightened my henna'd hair--the hair ends up red which you have to tone down to an auburn or auburn-brown color. In other words, if you want to lighten, you'll have to stay within the "red" family of colors. If you're going darker--there's no real issues.

oh wow... i didn't know this

me plans to dye later, and me wants no red:perplexed:nono:

[USER=19041 said:
sungtongs[/USER] ;13105213]Well...I did. I also bleached.

Do a strand test before you do anything since everyone's hair reacts differently.
how did the bleach work over henna? did i change to some odd color?

It made it this really....odd...and brassy golden color. I liked it, but I promptly put yellow and orange dye over it :drunk:

I agree with the posters that said going darker is a better option. It's pretty hard to get out all of the deposit of henna, so if you go lighter the color will usually still re-oxidize, that's why you get the redder shades.

Yes you can. I've done it. But ... regular hair dye is a lot more drying than indigo (for me indigo is not drying). IMO henna/indigo is the better option.

I've been thinking about this, how drying regular dye might be. But henna/indigo just didn't give me color I wanted last time, PLUS it was drying... Hmm. I have to decide what to do. But these orangey-white strands sticking out from the brownish-burgundy mop are not cute. :nono:

Thanks for sharing your experiences everybody. I would be going darker, not lighter, so likely no problems on that front.

For you ladies who have used dye, do you find it dries your hair out?

Yes. My mother tried the powders and they didn't work. So she went back to her precious bottle of Beautiful with no negative results.

I have used hair dye (check the siggy) but I never will because of how much it dried my hair out. You have to really be on your regimen (moisturizing, protein treatments, dc'ing, etc) if you color treat your hair.

I've been thinking about this, how drying regular dye might be. But henna/indigo just didn't give me color I wanted last time, PLUS it was drying... Hmm. I have to decide what to do. But these orangey-white strands sticking out from the brownish-burgundy mop are not cute. :nono:

Thanks for sharing your experiences everybody. I would be going darker, not lighter, so likely no problems on that front.

For you ladies who have used dye, do you find it dries your hair out?

The only hair dye I use is Natural Instincts which is semi-perm (low peroxide, no ammonia). The black doesn't completely wash out though. I haven't found it to be drying at all, and I'm not one of those people who deep conditions or use protein treatments regularly.

[USER=97555 said:
melissa-bee[/USER];16932695]Has anyone gone jet black over henna?

As far as color coverage, you shouldn't have a problem with that. I only do dark brown but that works fine.

Back