Can you co-wash safely with a "conditioning shampoo"

Hey everyone! :yawn:

I was thinking of buying this super cheap conditioning shampoo by l'Oreal because it's cherry scented, and that is FABULOUS! Also it's less than 5 bucks. :grin:

I'm a huge co-washer ( 1x a week at least) and I was wondering if you think it's 'safe' to cowash with a 'conditioning' shampoo...or do you think it'll dry out my hair? :look:.

I'm wary because it's well...a shampoo. Here's the ingredients:

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Cocamphodiacetate, PEG 30 Glyceryl Cocoate, PEG 200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl, PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Disodium Ricinoleamido MEA Sulfosuccinate.

Lemme know what you think! :yep: It has good reviews on amazon 4/5 stars, but I bet they don't use it for cowash

I was going to say it depends on what the ingredients are. Based on what I see here, it looks like any other shampoo made with detergents. For me that equals dryness and breakage. If your hair can handle it go for it but I don't really know if there is such a thing as a conditioning poo. There are varying degrees of harshness but none of them truly condition IMHO.
ETA- These reviewers, are they AA? I mean are we 3s and 4s using this product (I am not familiar with it)?

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. Ahhhh I figured it couldn't be a co-wash. :/ All the cherry-scented condishs are & bucks for 4 oz. Or &.35 for 7.99

Is that anywhere near a good deal I wonder? :/

Thanks ladies. Ahhhh I figured it couldn't be a co-wash. :/ All the cherry-scented condishs are & bucks for 4 oz. Or &.35 for 7.99

Is that anywhere near a good deal I wonder? :/

I use good 'ol suave naturals. $1.79 a bottle :look: :lol: It works like a charm, especially when I follow it up w/a DC :up:

Sent from my iPhone.

I don't understand how that would be co washing if you are using a shampoo it would only be old fashion washing your hair everyday or every other which ever but washing your hair. co washing is using a conditioner or non shampoo to wash your hair with. but I really thought conditioner.

I don't understand how that would be co washing if you are using a shampoo it would only be old fashion washing your hair everyday or every other which ever but washing your hair. co washing is using a conditioner or non shampoo to wash your hair with. but I really thought conditioner.

Since 'conditioning' shampoo was the product, I thought it could be used as a cowash product that both cleans yet conditions hair without being as harsh as shampoo.

I cowash all the time, but I probably will shampoo first then dc.

This was my understanding of co washing too. No shampoo at all for that particular 'wash'.

To the OP, I only use conditioning/moisturizing shampoos when I use them, so this product would probably be good for helping the hair, but I would still follow it with some kind of traditional conditioner.

This was my understanding of co washing too. No shampoo at all for that particular 'wash'.

To the OP, I only use conditioning/moisturizing shampoos when I use them, so this product would probably be good for helping the hair, but I would still follow it with some kind of traditional conditioner.

Ahhh got ya.

I understand that the traditional cowash is with condish only, but I wondered if a conditioning shampoo wasn't too bad that it COULD be used for cowashing if one--I-- wanted to use it that way. :yep:

Just because it says conditioning shampoo doesn't make it more of a conditioner than a shampoo, sweetheart. I'm glad you asked instead of running to try it. But I say get it and be prepared to DC afterwards. I love products that smell good! Also, since you only cowash once a week, you could probably stand to experiment with this shampoo. Try it on a cowash day and DC. And see how your hair responds. I shampoo'd my hair every day for five days once during this past summer. My hair was buttery soft and not at all frizzy. You'll never know what your hair likes til you try :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Maybe you could try a 2in1 product - a poo and condish in one product or a Clarifying conditioner if you are looking for more cleansing properties.

Personally i think the word 'conditioning' threw you OP and imo it means the same
as a 'moisturising' shampoo.

Since 'conditioning' shampoo was the product, I thought it could be used as a cowash product that both cleans yet conditions hair without being as harsh as shampoo.

I cowash all the time, but I probably will shampoo first then dc.

I'm not sure I get the bolded. Are you saying that when you cowash, you normally shampoo and DC first :spinning:

Either way I cowash daily but shampoo once a week, since you only plan on using it once a week, I think this shampoo should be ok if you condition your hair afterwards.

I know we all like to step on the other side and use products not necessarily marketed toward US, but my understanding of a conditioning shampoo is a product white people use when they don't want to follow it up with a deep conditioner :rolleyes: Like...I gotta be somewhere in 15 min. and I don't have the extra 5 min to "deep condition" my hair so I'm just going to use this conditioning shampoo right here :lol:

I dunno ladies, maybe some of you use conditioning shampoos in your reggies, but they have never been good for me because they didn't clean my hair as much as I wanted and they didn't condition my hair as much as I needed.

You can not co-wash with a shampoo. Not with a conditioning shampoo, not with a moisturizing shampoo, not on a boat with shampoo, not on a goat with shampoo, not with ANY shampoo can you co-wash! LOL :lachen:

It has sulfates. That's controversial enough on this board :yep:

Sistar - :wave: Exactly what are you trying to accomplish by using the conditioning shampoo? Are you simply looking for a good, cowashing product?

I say shampoo is shampoo and conditioner is conditioner. I feel the shampoo will work like any other shampoo. Perhaps you can look into natural conditioners for cowashing to avoid buildup.

A few sites I've bookmarked along the way.
Reading the label
Hair Conditioner Ingredients

There are plenty of other sites that gives a run down of ingredients. I'm sure the relaxed thread and the newbie thread have some also.

I'm not sure I get the bolded. Are you saying that when you cowash, you normally shampoo and DC first :spinning:

Either way I cowash daily but shampoo once a week, since you only plan on using it once a week, I think this shampoo should be ok if you condition your hair afterwards.

Lol!! Sorry, I meant to say that when I cowash, I only use condish. But IF I decided to buy and use this product, I would shampoo first and THEN condition! Lol sorry for the confusion, I was super tired from work 'cuz "they got me working day and night" lol :lol:

Sistar - :wave: Exactly what are you trying to accomplish by using the conditioning shampoo? Are you simply looking for a good, cowashing product?

I say shampoo is shampoo and conditioner is conditioner. I feel the shampoo will work like any other shampoo. Perhaps you can look into natural conditioners for cowashing to avoid buildup.

A few sites I've bookmarked along the way.
Reading the label
Hair Conditioner Ingredients

There are plenty of other sites that gives a run down of ingredients. I'm sure the relaxed thread and the newbie thread have some also.

Hey Diva!!!!!! :grin:

Shampoos dry the living hayle out of my hair for no good reason, and I was wondering if a 'conditioning' shampoo would clean like a shampoo, but condition like a conditioner...:rolleyes:

...Also, Cherry scented hair rocks my socks :look::lachen:

But yeah, I cowash ONLY with conditioner. I know this post has been scaring people into thinking I cowash with shampoo, but no! :lachen:

I know we all like to step on the other side and use products not necessarily marketed toward US, but my understanding of a conditioning shampoo is a product white people use when they don't want to follow it up with a deep conditioner :rolleyes: Like...I gotta be somewhere in 15 min. and I don't have the extra 5 min to "deep condition" my hair so I'm just going to use this conditioning shampoo right here :lol:

I dunno ladies, maybe some of you use conditioning shampoos in your reggies, but they have never been good for me because they didn't clean my hair as much as I wanted and they didn't condition my hair as much as I needed.

You can not co-wash with a shampoo. Not with a conditioning shampoo, not with a moisturizing shampoo, not on a boat with shampoo, not on a goat with shampoo, not with ANY shampoo can you co-wash! LOL :lachen:

It has sulfates. That's controversial enough on this board :yep:

LOL!!! This post had me in stitches and yeah, it's most def an 'another side' product. But it smells sooooo good. :lachen:

:lachen: And it also makes me want green eggs and ham :lachen:

Back