Can you be a cosmetologist if you have styling challenges?

bee

I am going to cosmetology school! This, along with finishing my Master's Degree in Education. I have learned so much about haircare but I'm unsure about my abilities to style. Does cosmetology school teach you how to style hair? I talked to the man who owns the school and he said that if I can style hair, I should be ok. I always get compliments on my hair and other people's hair that I do but I don't know if it's good enough to become a cosmetologist.

Can you help me?

It does but it's to my understanding that they only teach you the basics. You have to keep up on what's current yourself.

However, I know a lot of stylists who are good with haircare and can't do styles worth a damn so you should be alright.

I think the only styling challenge is cutting...knowing how to properly cut hair and replicating a hair cut that a client may want. The most complicated syles that I see are up dos. But thats what practicing on the dummies heads are for:yep: I know a lot of stylists who dont bother with the fancy styling and cutting and still have a very productive business.

How/where can I find a "how-to" guide on the most current hairstyles?

Most stylists I've been to just kept their eyes open to see what other women were wearing. What's popular will vary by region. My old faithful stylist could recreate anything she saw once. Or if you brought her a picture in a magazine she could do it.

I think if you just get the basics down like cutting, rollersetting, flat ironing, etc. and you can do them WELL you will be fine. Those are the styles most people wear anyway. You don't absolutely have to do extra intricate styles like Ayeshia mentioned... unless of course that's your specialty. Like for instance, I know a lot of stylists who do not do weaves.

Last edited:
Weave and Braiding are not taught at cosmetology school you have to take workshops at proffesional supply stores, shows you learn about them in trade magazines, like modern salon. The best advise I can tell you is if you'r hungry you can do hairstyling? You will do better working in a shop with other stylist to help guide (teach) you, Practice Practice is all you need. Don't start out doing hair free you have to set up a fee base, or they think you will always do it for free. I digressed sorry...:perplexed YOU CAN DO IT:grin:

Back